User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Jan-13 22:13:02
Print Post

Re: Virgin Media with Vodafone Suresignal

[re: ey143] [link to this post]

As Mr Saffron says I too imagine it is done the same way Fon is done - some sort of VPN tunnel and if surfing the phone will get an IP from the phone provider and use their DNS so all that would show on the host network is traffic to the phone provider with no clue as to what it was.
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Sat 19-Jan-13 17:49:35
Print Post

All traffic from a Sure Signal passes through an encrypted IPSec NAT-T tunnel - all the corporate network will see is a load of encrypted data on UDP port 4500.

The only way the corporate network will see your iPhone usage is if you connect the phone to a corporate Wi-Fi access point.

Standard User ey143
(newbie) Sat 19-Jan-13 22:22:06
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Thanks to everyone who has responded to my question.

Can I just ask how exactly we know that it is going through a VPN, I mean is it quoted anywhere on the vodafone or Alcatel-Lucent's (manufacturer of the Sure Signal device) website?

Also is there an equivalent device for the other major networks like O2, Orange, T-mobile.

Edited by ey143 (Sat 19-Jan-13 22:22:47)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 20-Jan-13 14:07:13
Print Post

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/cs/groups/public/documents...

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Mon 21-Jan-13 00:05:37
Print Post

I've got traffic snooping facilities on my network, and, apart from DHCP, DNS and NTP, the only traffic from my Sure Signal (the older Sagem type) is to an IPsec NAT-T VPN, as I detailed in my earlier reply. It's certainly a bunch of UDP port 4500 packets, which have the correct outer layers for this type of VPN - the payload is, of course, encrypted.

The generic name for this technology is a femtocell. I believe 3 sometimes offer them on a case by case basis to customers with coverage problems. I don't believe the other networks offer them to retail customers.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to