User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 29-Sep-15 22:46:36
Print Post

Re: Seams VM won't be 100 200 300. After all

[re: binary] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by binary:
In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
I'm intrigued by this "silly" VIVID advertising,

"Our next generation Optical Fibre"

a.k.a.

"We're just pushing out existing network harder"

I wonder if they have any bets open as too how hard they can push a network before it fails completely.
Standard User ZenUserJP
(member) Wed 30-Sep-15 10:26:07
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by binary:
I'm intrigued by this "silly" VIVID advertising,

"Our next generation Optical Fibre"

a.k.a.

"We're just pushing out existing network harder"

I wonder if they have any bets open as too how hard they can push a network before it fails completely.

Is it sad to have a dream that VM did that - went bust, Gigaclear bought them and then we all had 1Gbps FTTP?

If it is then I am :/ lol
Standard User Reado
(newbie) Wed 30-Sep-15 11:12:42
Print Post

[re: ZenUserJP] [link to this post]

Don't forget, you only get the full 200 if there is capacity on the fibre optic cable that runs from the node to the cloud. I have had to phone VM a few times due to speed issues and each time I phone them, they told me a lot of users were downloading at the same time and consuming most of the bandwidth on the fibre optic cable.

That was with the current product. Assuming VM has not increased capacity on their fibre optic cables then it's not really a speed upgrade. If anything, it's a speed downgrade as more people will have access to more bandwidth but the bottleneck will still exist.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 30-Sep-15 20:31:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I submitted report to ASA yesterday, pretty misleading from VM making it look like they changed their infrastructure.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 30-Sep-15 22:55:14
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

damn you beat me too it!
Standard User ZenUserJP
(member) Thu 01-Oct-15 11:51:57
Print Post

damn you beat me too it!

well more than 1 is always welcomed I am sure smile

So here we are - 50,100 and 200. Which might run at 6mbps in the evenings if lucky and I was still on it. I used to get excited wen VM did a speed boost. Nothing here to excite me. If it was 300 I would consider wetting my pants and coming back. But not for 200.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 01-Oct-15 13:50:00
Print Post

you can do it also, and it strengthens the case if multiple people submit.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 01-Oct-15 14:45:30
Print Post

[re: ZenUserJP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ZenUserJP:
damn you beat me too it!

well more than 1 is always welcomed I am sure smile

So here we are - 50,100 and 200. Which might run at 6mbps in the evenings if lucky and I was still on it. I used to get excited wen VM did a speed boost. Nothing here to excite me. If it was 300 I would consider wetting my pants and coming back. But not for 200.

So I'm not going to get a free boost after all then?? :/

UPDATE: I see that actually 50/3 will become 70/5 however when the upgrades will be ready for individual connections remains to be seen and sounds like much confusion at calls centres regarding early upgrades and costs!

Why the hell has Virgin gone along the route off having two sets of speed tiers... this will surely [censored] new customers off and probably cause issues for people who change their packages and contract in near future..

I would be annoyed if I contracted for 12-18 months on 50/3 to find joe bloggs who joined a month before has 70/5 for the same cost!

I can only assume this is Virgin's defence when customers go apes*** about the lack of upgrades at which they where mislead by the press to be getting.

I look forward to watching my BQM's for two connections go too [censored] over the coming weeks/months.. I'm sure the node at top of the road will burst into flames once Virign start dishing the free upgrades out to the unsatisfied and over-utilised connection locally...

"laughs ass off" meheheee!

Edited by mlmclaren (Thu 01-Oct-15 15:08:04)

Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 01-Oct-15 14:47:46
Print Post

Will do it before leaving office at 5 if I've the time.
Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Thu 01-Oct-15 15:42:04
Print Post

I think you'll find that Virgin are not misleading anyone.

The general consumer, and not visitors here to the forums (who have a higher knowledge), aer getting more and more competent when dealing with technology now and understand things a lot better than they did 2 to 3 years ago.

They are just, in my eyes making a bigger emphasis on their network being different to Sky/BT by using coaxial cable instead of twisted copper.

Also the network in the South East of England works fine, never get any speed drops unless I hit the throttling threshold when I turn my Xbox on and download a shed load of updates.

smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to