User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 04-Oct-15 14:37:32
Print Post

Re: Seams VM won't be 100 200 300. After all

[re: ZenUserJP] [link to this post]

Usual Virgin rep talking rubbishy or not being informed correctly of the procedures... Though upgrading TV is not related so rubbish it is!
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 04-Oct-15 17:02:48
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

for my area a good rule of thumb is to perhaps drop the speed 90% on VM and thats the "real" speed, due to congestion.

So e.g. VM 200/12 is actually 20/12.

For this reason I dont consider VM marketing speeds to be meaningful.

I would e.g. take a 40/2 xDSL product over VM 200/12 any day of the week.

I need consistent performance 24/7 not fast at 4am and broken at 6pm.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
Standard User ZenUserJP
(member) Sun 04-Oct-15 17:10:23
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
for my area a good rule of thumb is to perhaps drop the speed 90% on VM and thats the "real" speed, due to congestion.

So e.g. VM 200/12 is actually 20/12.

For this reason I dont consider VM marketing speeds to be meaningful.

I would e.g. take a 40/2 xDSL product over VM 200/12 any day of the week.

I need consistent performance 24/7 not fast at 4am and broken at 6pm.

Agreed It's why I have not jumped back onto the VM wagon. Stability is key and FTTC is solid 24/7 not like you said off peak only

besides people seem to be photoshopping their speedtests. Either that or something is magical about the VM forum software.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Speed-incr...

See what I mean?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ZenUserJP
(member) Sun 04-Oct-15 17:11:28
Print Post

Well, he is sticking to FTTC and his area (Glos) is preforming [censored] and true to form.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 04-Oct-15 17:17:59
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I agree, when I was with Virgin here (Crawley) 160/12 became 2/12 of an evening or afternoon even...

It better now but only a little better... neighbours report around around a minimum of 8-12Mb/s downstream depending on network segment allocations... I can't say I follow it that closely anymore but do here bits now and then.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 04-Oct-15 17:42:31
Print Post

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Seems to be what we are seeing from 200/12 users,
http://blog.thinkbroadband.com/2015/07/another-look-... shows the sort of overall drop we are seeing at peak time, and even the Ofcom testing showed the old 152 Mbps dropping to around 100 Mbps at peak times.

There are some posting above the expected connection speed (and outside the previous trial areas where the 300 Mbps is still seen now and then) which might be some of those users posting higher speeds

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ZenUserJP
(member) Sun 04-Oct-15 17:52:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
I agree, when I was with Virgin here (Crawley) 160/12 became 2/12 of an evening or afternoon even...

It better now but only a little better... neighbours report around around a minimum of 8-12Mb/s downstream depending on network segment allocations... I can't say I follow it that closely anymore but do here bits now and then.

I concur. Moved to Zen for FTTC.. never looked back.
Standard User ZenUserJP
(member) Sun 04-Oct-15 17:53:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Seems to be what we are seeing from 200/12 users,
http://blog.thinkbroadband.com/2015/07/another-look-... shows the sort of overall drop we are seeing at peak time, and even the Ofcom testing showed the old 152 Mbps dropping to around 100 Mbps at peak times.

There are some posting above the expected connection speed (and outside the previous trial areas where the 300 Mbps is still seen now and then) which might be some of those users posting higher speeds

That makes sense. But the same speedtest quoted and different to the original was what made my suspicions arise.
Standard User mlmclaren
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 04-Oct-15 18:28:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by ZenUserJP:
In reply to a post by mlmclaren:

I concur. Moved to Zen for FTTC.. never looked back.

Well to clean it up just in case anyone moans, I moved to FTTC and never looked back... Even Plusnet with its issues was better than Virgin round here though Plusnet did still make themselves look foolish to Virgin's congestion issues when they could keep a 128kb/s radio stream going...

At least Virgin could keep that going even with 2Mb/s and my whole local network trying to suck what it needed from that.

also for the record, in another area Virgin would be considered an option for me, this discussion would be based on a trial to check utilisation and also depending on lengths of cables to DSLAM's...

As soon as Virgin does release 300/20 Openreach will need to be getting faster speeds rolled out (at least uploads) to stay in the competition...
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 04-Oct-15 19:00:53
Print Post

on docsis1 all throughput would just stall for several seconds at a time as if ack's couldnt get through at all, thats how bad my area was, docsis3 was better but still struggled to reliably stream a SD quality F1 sunday mornings from sky go.

If I was BT I would make sure no exchanges are in amber/red and then start a marketing campaign with the phrase "performance when you need it". Highlighting the consistency with peak vs off peak compared to the competition.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4

Edited by Chrysalis (Sun 04-Oct-15 19:03:46)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to