User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Tue 16-Feb-16 12:38:45
Print Post

Vivid? I'm Livid (or was) A tale of woe with non-tech people

[link to this post]

Last year we got the news that VM were going to boost speeds for existing customers. Their page at All you need to know about your broadband speed boost says "If you’re a broadband customer who joined us before 24th November 2015 on 50Mbps or below, 100Mbps or 152Mbps, we’ll offer you an upgrade to our more powerful speeds of SuperFibre 70Mbps, VIVID 150Mbps and VIVID 200Mbps"

I was on the 100Mbps service and should have gone to VIVID150, according to all the info I've had to date. When I got the price increase letter I went through to the Retentions team and they juggled my account to drop down a step in the TV packages to reduce the ongoing cost.

I was then told that the VIVID150 service was only 6Mbps upload speed, which is my main bugbear as I do a lot of uploading of radio programming for a community radio station. It's voluntary, unpaid, a hobby, before anyone suggests this is business use. As I was on 100/6 I accepted the explanation and agreed to stay at 100/6 rather than pay more for 150/6. I've since found out that was incorrect, it would have gone to 150/10.

So, I called back a couple of times. First time I was put through to 'someone technical' as the lady I originally spoke to said she did not know what the upload speeds were. Oh what a surprise, I ended up with the overseas call centre and a woman trying to tell me to switch off and back on again to get the correct speed. frown After she finally understood that I was not suffering an outage or problem she passed me back to the UK.

There I was told quite clearly that I was wrong, nobody at Virgin would have talked to me about upload speeds as they only deal with download - and she cut me off...

I called back, the lady contacted a technical manager at Swansea and came back to tell me that my 100Mbps download speed had an upload speed of ‘up to 10Mbps’. I tried to say that was incorrect but she said she was not technical and it was a technical manager who had given her the figures.

She spoke about the 152Mbps package and said she could change me on to that but I would lose all loyalty discounts and my monthly cost would increase by about £15. I'm a Taurus, and I saw red ! In October 2016 I will have been a customer for 20 years. To take off a 'loyalty' discount was unacceptable and I told her so. There was a smaller discount, for 6 months, that I had been given (and didn't ask for) which I may have accepted losing to get back to where I had been - awaiting the forthcoming speed boost.

What had happened was that the guy I spoke to originally had moved me on to VIVID100 and that negated the boost. It was no longer on my account page as 'coming soon' but instead showed that I'd already had it. The boost has gone back in my area (14) from November 2015 to February, then March and now 'between July and December' when I use the VM Checker

So I wrote to VM Complaints. They called me today and have now said that VIVID150 no longer exists ?

They cannot put me back to the 100/6 level I had before as that is no longer on their system. They say that I would not get a speed boost anyway ? Again, the person I spoke to admitted they were not technical and could only go by what info they had on the VM website. I was told that policy had changed. They had dropped VIVID150, it just wasn't available. I tried my best to refer her to VM pages showing it clearly was.

I can see that new customers only get a choice of VIVID100 or 200, in the main packages they are selling at present. It seems that is the info nthey all refer to when looking at speeds. Nobody knows anything about the 'other pages' like Your guide to traffic management where the varying speeds are clearly listed.

Am I going mad ? Am I really going to accept that the speed boost programme would not have seen me move from 100/6 to 150/10 ?

Just to finish this off with their solution. After nearly half an hour of stalemate, VM saying they only offer a 100 or 200 package now and saying that the speed boost to 150 was not going to happen they backed down and offered to put me on the VIVID200 service and they would cover the cost for 12 months. Not quite what I was trying to achieve but it seems I wasn't going to get back to what I should have had.

I really do not think the info I've been given is right - can anyone enlighten me ?

Virgin Cable (100/6) + EE Mobile BB
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 16-Feb-16 12:54:53
Print Post

Re: Vivid? I'm Livid (or was) A tale of woe with non-tech pe

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

I went from 100/6 to 150/10 when moving to VIVID

Standard User TMCR
(committed) Tue 16-Feb-16 13:06:27
Print Post

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BuckleZ:
I went from 100/6 to 150/10 when moving to VIVID

Thanks, that's the sort of confirmation I need. I know that our area isn't due the boost just yet but that is what I was hoping for and their people are trying to tell me otherwise... frown

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 16-Feb-16 14:09:12
Print Post

I done it all through the My virgin media website, when it said the boost was available...

The email i got:

Thank you for choosing Virgin Media

Order date: Sunday, November 8, 2015
Order ref: WSxxxxxxx
Hello RYAN,
Thanks for upgrading your Virgin Media package. To help you keep track of your order, there's a summary of what you chose further down the page.

Your order
VIVID 150 Optical Fibre

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Tue 16-Feb-16 14:40:19
Print Post

Hi,

They're talking pish!

However when you renegotiated your price and contravt wth retentions they would have applied the new VIVID100 (100/6) to your account...

This means you would appear as a new customer on there system, meaning you won't get the free boost as I'm sure you already know...

The only way this can really be fixed is if your account was reverted back to the original agreement, however that won't be possible if the deal has been in place longer than 14/30 days...

Basically, there's not a fat ot you can do but learn from te experience, I did something similar back in 2010/11 when 30/60/100/120 tiers came about.

Taking the free upgrade to VIVID200 was probably the best that could come from this and maybe look at your choices at the end off the current deal.

I knew as soon as they announced the latest speed boost and VIVID services that these sport of problems would arise... stupid idea from Virgin that in some cases may force people to upgrade there services... for example:

My grandmother is moving home soon and currently has the 70/5 service with Virgin, now if she takes that with her there's a 95% chance she will lose the 70/5 and be reverted back to 50/3 unless she opts for a higher tier (100/6)

This sucks as since the free upgrade her Skype Video Calling with myself and my cousins has improved drastically and is more stable but losing that 2Mbps will result in a drop in quality again...

I'm hoping that as she's been a customer for best part of 20 years, like yourself they will give a generous offering, specially based on her low usage or it might be more viable to move her over to FTTC (Which will become available to her once moved)

Sorry to here your another customer of Virgin's that been let down.

Standard User TMCR
(committed) Tue 16-Feb-16 15:07:20
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
They're talking pish!

Yep, figured that one out.

I will be looking very closely at other providers at the end of this 12 month period. I really don't fancy having to argue the toss with Retentions over this - I doubt very much that they would let the 'deal' continue and that means a big price hike is in the offing.

I really cannot understand why someone with a bit of technical knowhow can't be involved, to leave it to non-tech people astounds me. They simply cannot deal with a matter they know nothing about. They've had a letter from me, detailing the issue and even giving links to their own web pages where I've got my info from.

Because VIVID150 isn't part of a new customer offer they cannot give it to me ? Crazy !

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Tue 16-Feb-16 15:27:56
Print Post

It I possible for the profile of 150/10 to be applied to your account however it does require someone with knowhow to do it and also requires upper's permission to do it...

The thing is that so much has changed at Virgin since the days where I needed to do this that it may be impossible to do it, systems changed so that the profiling of accounts became somewhat more automated meaning that things like freebie Multiroom boxes where not really something that could be just thrown on to an account anymore.

If this has a similar if not same affect on broadband profiling I don't know but assume it would...

If it really bothers you then I would make another complaint and hope someone different can look into it, the chances of getting this reversed though are very slim and they will just offer you cancellation without early termination or an offer like you've already got.

May I ask if its upload that's important to you or does having a download speed above 100Mbps also matter...

I've just looked at my grandmothers new address and decided that whilst her line might only be capable of 30-40mbps download her upload should be 8-12mbps so looking at putting her on Sky!

Standard User TMCR
(committed) Tue 16-Feb-16 15:44:23
Print Post

May I ask if its upload that's important to you or does having a download speed above 100Mbps also matter...

Upload is the issue. I look after a lot of radio shows for a community station where hour long audio files are passed to me for processing. I download them from various sources, adjust the level if needed, tag them then upload to the station server. I can be uploading as much as 12Gb in a day. I usually wait until well after midnight to avoid any capping, which still goes on with uploads.

Download speed of 100Mbps was fine, I'll probably not notice much difference on 200 as many remote sites are slow anyway,

Making another complaint will do nothing, they'll just look at the notes and chuck the second letter in the bin...

Virgin Cable (200/12) + EE Mobile BB
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Tue 16-Feb-16 16:03:31
Print Post

So a 38/9 connection with no limits would be suffice for you then?

Standard User TMCR
(committed) Tue 16-Feb-16 16:36:58
Print Post

Possibly, but changing to a BT line means having one put in, there hasn't been one to this property since about 1995. Have to factor that in when looking to change provider.
Plus we have a contract with VM until December, when they last jiggled the account about.

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Tue 16-Feb-16 16:44:53
Print Post

That shouldn't be much of a problem, if any at all...

Anyway there's no rush for it currently as you say, but highlights that Virgin's continuing to fail the future (imo)

I used to contact Virgin 2-3 times a year from 2010 - 2014 asking about future services and improvements one of the questions that come up repeatedly was when are we getting faster uploads and when also when where all packages downstream to upstream rations going to be corrected and improved....

You can imagine I didn't get much from them...

In the end I dropped my package down to 50/3 and gave up on doing broadcasts and media uploading...

Standard User TMCR
(committed) Tue 16-Feb-16 21:23:35
Print Post

I'm ever hopeful that DOCSIS 3.3 or whatever it is will be implemented in the next couple of years. The upload problem should then 'go away', although I worry about what it's going to cost...

I'm not sure why I'm getting such odd results when I speedtest though - any thoughts ?
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
(I don't know how to make it a picture on here)

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Tue 16-Feb-16 21:58:01
Print Post

Hmm, DOCSIS 3.1 might be interesting, they might follow the same rollout as they did before where they had exclusive products and equipment that would work with it...

The case could be this time that customer on 100/150 and below could be kept on the DOCSIS 3.0 platform, 200mb might cease sale and become 300mb and then possibly a 500mb product might appear...

However I feel that a rollout of DOCSIS 3.1 might be sometime away yet...

Those speed test results may be the result of a bit of congestion somewhere, from experience it will mean services downloading data using a single connection will be limited to that result yet multiple devices or multiple connection downloads should be unaffected..

I think its fair to expect such results at this time of day and with such a high bandwidth product

Standard User TMCR
(committed) Wed 17-Feb-16 12:14:51
Print Post

Those speed test results may be the result of a bit of congestion somewhere, from experience it will mean services downloading data using a single connection will be limited to that result yet multiple devices or multiple connection downloads should be unaffected..

I think its fair to expect such results at this time of day and with such a high bandwidth product

It just seems 'odd' to me. Before the change to the 200Mbps product yesterday I was getting constant clean results like this
Now they are more like this, even at 1.30am
or just now

Here's a copy of the recent results

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Feb-16 12:32:57
Print Post

Yes I know someone else who had the same thing happen... it's happened to me also...

It seems that when people get upgrade the modem gets reassigned to a new network segment, that network segment could be congested where you old one might not...

It one of the reasons I now recommend people joining Virgin or getting new kit don't activate it till around 7-8PM as in my past experience it seems to get you connected to a good segment (less busy) where during the day you might get connected to a segment that gets busy in the evenings.

I'm sorry to say this but this is another thing that realistically is irreversible and only sorts itself when re-segmentation on the network is done...

Unfortunatly having Broadband with Virgin these days is like buying scratch cards some may win you your money back, some might make you winners and many more will disadvantage you...

It's luck of the draw and the higher the bandwidth allowance gets from virgin the smaller the chances of getting what you pay for gets...

If Virgin had kept its bandwidth allowances below 100meg and carried on with the upgrades as they have done then all Virgin customers might be able to report the best service in the land (maybe world) but sales is what matters...

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Feb-16 12:36:23
Print Post

It one of the reasons I now recommend people joining Virgin or getting new kit don't activate it till around 7-8PM as in my past experience it seems to get you connected to a good segment (less busy) where during the day you might get connected to a segment that gets busy in the evenings.

There is no other segment to use. The networks are split physically.

The modems are on the same segment and channels as before upgrade.

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Feb-16 12:38:59
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Sorry but that hasn't been the case in my experience or the experience of a friend... in both circumstances the channels (downstream) had changed and resulted in either increased or decreased service performance...

(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Feb-16 12:40:36
Print Post

I used to contact Virgin 2-3 times a year from 2010 - 2014 asking about future services and improvements one of the questions that come up repeatedly was when are we getting faster uploads and when also when where all packages downstream to upstream rations going to be corrected and improved....

You can imagine I didn't get much from them...

Probably because it's commercially sensitive information and none of our, meaning not VM staff, business.

The upload ratio was changed to 10:1 in the early 2010s if you remember, as part of a DOCSIS 2.0 upstream upgrade. It slipped again after the 100/10 tier was released and those who bought it destroyed the capacity on their local networks. Those issues were fixed by upgrades to channel bonding on the upstream.

The new business products are looking promising, as are the trials that have been done with higher upstream speeds.

Network rebuilds and upgrades that are under way will also help a ton in addressing the issues, as will DOCSIS 3.1.

(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Feb-16 12:41:57
Print Post

Sorry but that hasn't been the case in my experience or the experience of a friend... in both circumstances the channels (downstream) had changed and resulted in either increased or decreased service performance...

The channels are all on the same segment and all modems are load balanced between them.

Channel IDs, I should mention, mean nothing.

(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Feb-16 12:43:11
Print Post

Hmm, DOCSIS 3.1 might be interesting, they might follow the same rollout as they did before where they had exclusive products and equipment that would work with it...

You need a DOCSIS 3.1 modem to use DOCSIS 3.1. 3.0 modems can't use the 3.1 channels.

The 3.1 modems will start off expensive so it'll probably follow the same pattern as the original 50Mb release.

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Feb-16 13:08:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:

You need a DOCSIS 3.1 modem to use DOCSIS 3.1. 3.0 modems can't use the 3.1 channels.

The 3.1 modems will start off expensive so it'll probably follow the same pattern as the original 50Mb release.

Yep I said that above minus the expense part!

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Feb-16 13:12:11
Print Post

OK... technically your right, what I'm trying to say is that 'locked' channels can change when product changes are done...

This changes the outcome of speeds in my experience due to some channels being busier than others, this is obviously what has happened

You'll have to excuse my not knowing the exact names for different parts of the network, I've lost a lot of interest in a lot of the technology around broadband in the last 6 months... why do you think I'm on BT laugh

So can you explain why the OP is seeing reduced single thread speeds when there speeds on 100/6 where somewhat superb

(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Feb-16 13:59:15
Print Post

OK... technically your right, what I'm trying to say is that 'locked' channels can change when product changes are done...

A reboot will also potentially change the channels a customer is locked to.

So can you explain why the OP is seeing reduced single thread speeds when there speeds on 100/6 where somewhat superb

No, beyond that it isn't congestion as it's there all the time. Best guess a change in the configuration file on the modem or the class of service parameters on the equipment they're connecting to.

Regarding network segments Wikipedia pretty much has this one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_segment

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Feb-16 14:05:54
Print Post

A reboot will also potentially change the channels a customer is locked to.

This has never been the case for me or others I know in the past but I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree as its not very important in this topic anyway.

No, beyond that it isn't congestion as it's there all the time. Best guess a change in the configuration file on the modem or the class of service parameters on the equipment they're connecting to.

Regarding network segments Wikipedia pretty much has this one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_segment

So how would the op get this fixed or was I correct in saying good luck?

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 17-Feb-16 15:28:59
Print Post

Spent a fair bit of time with someone on this a few months ago, and the result was something was setup wrong and Virgin Media tweaked something for that user and worked.

The problem is getting this through support and them understanding the difference. While our newer HTTP test is six threads by default there is a version that will run a single one and that did show this problem too, i.e. it was not a different port/protocol issue.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Wed 17-Feb-16 18:05:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Spent a fair bit of time with someone on this a few months ago, and the result was something was setup wrong and Virgin Media tweaked something for that user and worked.

The problem is getting this through support and them understanding the difference. While our newer HTTP test is six threads by default there is a version that will run a single one and that did show this problem too, i.e. it was not a different port/protocol issue.

OK, had a 45 minute call with VM support, a Welsh-sounding chap, not the overseas lot.

He's sent a reset to the modem, I had already powered it off several times, the PC has been powered down a couple of times. It's wired direct from Superhub2 to the PC which has gigabit ethernet on the motherboard.

Speedtest.net results all come in around the 200Mbps mark. He says they don't accept the ThinkBroadband tests (not in the script) although he did take note of the results I gave him.

We went to safe mode with networking, Speedtest.net stalled at about 84Mbps, TBB got over 100Mbps smile

He checked several more things with me and had to say that he couldn't pass the call on as unresolved as it has passed all the tests he was supposed to do, and Speedtest.net was their only option.

Not sure where to go with this now....?

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to say that TBB was giving me between 30 and 70Mbps on a x1 test, 200+ on x6, Speedtest.net was 208 every time.

I've now changed the cable between the SH2 and the PC, it's a 2 metre Cat5e, not sure what was in before as the markings have rubbed off. Here's the latest test results.

Edited by TMCR (Wed 17-Feb-16 18:21:29)

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Feb-16 22:00:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Unfortunately Andrew Virgin Media won't take speed test from your tester...

They will only accept tests from Ookla 'and' only if there testing to a Virgin Media hosted server.... obvious why they only accept that.

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Feb-16 22:02:26
Print Post

As above Virgin won't accept tests from ThinkBroadbands tester and also only accept tests done to its own network.... and as you've found they will show full 200Mbps because they use ONLY multiple threads and don't test for real world single thread...

Standard User TMCR
(committed) Mon 29-Feb-16 13:14:21
Print Post

Hmmm, interesting. I just did a speedtest using my laptop, on a Cat5e wire to the SH2. The light shows green indicating the laptop has a Gigabit connection (it does, I checked). Here's the test result... http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Followed by another test on the main PC: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
I actually ran a few on the laptop: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html... and http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html... ahead of the first one in this post.

So, nothing wrong with the VM connection after all, the SH2 is working OK, it's my PC ? Now I'm confused and not sure where to look as it is a Gigabit connection but obviously being throttled at some point. It has a 2m length of Cat5e from the SH2 to the PC. I've even changed that cable out for a brand new one.

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 29-Feb-16 18:30:21
Print Post

Sorry if this has been already covered but possibilities:

- Old spec PC - will not be able to cope with such high speeds, hence, you'll get that slow result
- Security software on the PC - interfering with the HTTP stream.
- Bad drivers/OS config.

ZeN Fibre Unlimited 2
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Mon 29-Feb-16 18:55:37
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
Sorry if this has been already covered but possibilities:

- Old spec PC - will not be able to cope with such high speeds, hence, you'll get that slow result
- Security software on the PC - interfering with the HTTP stream.
- Bad drivers/OS config.

No problem, by all means prompt me, it could be an answer.

PC is only 2 years old, custom built. Network is built in to motherboard, it's a MSI ZH771-G43 (MS-7758) with a Intel Quad Core i5-3340S @ 2.80GHz with 8Gb matched Samsung memory (2x4Gb) with a Realtek PCIe GBE (Gigabit) Family Controller wired network connection clearly showing 1000Mbps connection speed.

I've turned off the anti-virus, Widnows Firewall, Superhub Firewall and all combinations of the three, no different.

I've been on the Realtek site and downloaded the most up to date drivers and installed them. I am on Windows 7 Pro 64bit at SP1. I use ESET NOD32 V8 security, which is up to date.

The Superhubs lights up green on the port to the PC, indicating a Gigabit connection. I have Cat5e cables in placed but have ordered a Cat6 one to try, just because there is some doubt from other threads I've read elsewhere.

Someone on the VM community forum suggested trying modem mode, I did, no different.

Standard User dave2150
(experienced) Mon 29-Feb-16 18:55:54
Print Post

+1 - move to BT FTTC and solve all your problems.

FTTC over 600M of good old Aluminium
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2869262320.png
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Mon 29-Feb-16 19:38:14
Print Post

[re: dave2150] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dave2150:

+1 - move to BT FTTC and solve all your problems.

No, cannot. Was a new contract with VM in Dec, tied in for now.
BT cost also a lot higher and lower speed.
Priority for me was upload speed. Now getting 12Mbps up, would not get that on Infinity 1.
Download speed not that important but would like to get to bottom of why it's not full speed on single download.

Standard User TMCR
(committed) Wed 02-Mar-16 15:12:11
Print Post

Further update:

Moving to BT isn't an option really. 38/9 did sound promising but that was as an alternative to 100/6. I now have 200/12 and that will suffice until my current contract period expires at the end of the year.
I have a loyalty discount with VM, been with them 20 years in October...
I would have to have a new BT line installed. There is a wire to the house but it's been disconnected for almost 20 years.

I bought a couple of new CAT6 cables, just in case my motherboard/NIC was being too selective - Realtek's diagnostics show that all 4 pairs are connected on old and new cable, the Superhub2 lights up green and Windows reports 1.0Gbps on a 1 metre CAT6 between the PC and SH.

Mt wife's PC is an older Lenovo but has an Intel Gigabit connection, which reports much faster speeds: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
- and that's through a 5 metre run of Cat5e to a Tenda SG50 hub with a further 2 metres of Cat5e to the PC itself.
I've tried that cable to my PC too, but still stuck at 100Mbps single download. It's the PC/NIC, I know that now.

I've also got the very latest Realtek drivers for the NIC, installed, still no change. I just used the 'repair' option first time, but then un-installed the device and drivers and started afresh with the latest version. I read somewhere to disable both Energy Efficient and Green Ethernet options, that's not done anything either.

It's seems there are lots of topics all over the Internet about this Realtex PCIe GBE Family Controller. Yes, the GBE does indicate Gigabit, I have checked that. Lots of people complaining they are not getting the speeds they expect, many 'solved' by replacing the cable, updating the drivers, toggling settings, sacrificing lambs...

I would really, really, like to find out what will fix mine... For now I'm OK with 100Mbps ( with 200Mbps on multi-threaded downloads) down and 12Mbps up.

I've shown that 200/12 is possible, on my laptop and my wife's PC, just not mine. frown

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 02-Mar-16 18:38:48
Print Post

I assume you've tried a £29 gigabit switch between your PC and the Virgin Hub?
Alternatively if you have a spare PCIexpress slot in the PC you could buy a PCIexpress ethernet card and fit it inside the PC and bypass the Realtek card. This should be around similar price.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 / Sync 6th Nov: 58,280/10,784 kbps with G.INP
16 years UK broadband (Since 1999 ntl:cable trial), Asus RT-AC68U & HG612 - BQM - Flash Speedtest - HTML Speedtest
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Wed 02-Mar-16 19:07:26
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
I assume you've tried a £29 gigabit switch between your PC and the Virgin Hub?

Maybe not a £29 one. I have a couple of Tenda SG50 units, which are Gigabit. One is over on my wife's PC desk, connected to the SH2 with a 5 metre lump of Cat5e. 2 metres of Cat5e from there to her PC and she gets the 200/12
I have tried my laptop on the same bit of wire that normally goes to my PC to the SH2. That gets 200/12. Laptop on wife's desk, also 200/12
My PC connected using same cables as I've used for laptop or wife's PC to same sockets on SH2 or Tenda SG50, I only get the 100.
In fact, I put one of the Tenda's directly behind my PC, next to the SH2, with a 1 metre Cat6 cable between the two, which then feeds my VOIP box, a couple of PC bases on a shelf behind my desk and an EE Signal Booster. I unpligged the EE gadget and tried a 2 metre Cat6 from the Tenda to my PC from there. The results were actually worse than direct to the SH2!
Alternatively if you have a spare PCIexpress slot in the PC you could buy a PCIexpress ethernet card and fit it inside the PC and bypass the Realtek card. This should be around similar price.

I don't think there's a spare slot in the PC. It's difficult to get to as I built everything else around the base, my desk, shelves, filing system... I can get to the on/off button and the DVD drive and the USB slots as they are on the front. There's a 4 port USB3 card in the box which looks after the external HD's I have.
I'll have to have a look as that was my next thought, put a different NIC in as you've suggested.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 02-Mar-16 23:13:33
Print Post

There were motherboards with nvidia chipsets I think that had LAN optimiser in the bios. When on performance collapsed. Worth checking nothing like that in yours.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 / Sync 6th Nov: 58,280/10,784 kbps with G.INP
16 years UK broadband (Since 1999 ntl:cable trial), Asus RT-AC68U & HG612 - BQM - Flash Speedtest - HTML Speedtest
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Wed 02-Mar-16 23:59:57
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

There were motherboards with nvidia chipsets I think that had LAN optimiser in the bios. When on performance collapsed. Worth checking nothing like that in yours.

Really ? heck, something else to search for, I've no idea how to get at that sort of thing.

OK, 10 minutes later and I've found out what that is. I now remember having it on an older PC and taking it off because it caused problems. No, I don't have it on this PC, I have checked very carefully... Thanks, another possibility but not this time.

Standard User Daemon66
(regular) Thu 03-Mar-16 09:54:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by TMCR:
I don't think there's a spare slot in the PC. It's difficult to get to as I built everything else around the base, my desk, shelves, filing system... I can get to the on/off button and the DVD drive and the USB slots as they are on the front. There's a 4 port USB3 card in the box which looks after the external HD's I have.

Wow, sounds like a nightmare, you really shouldn't ever put a PC where it is difficult to access, they go wrong far too often for that.
Anyway, you can get USB Ethernet adapters so if you've got one of those 4 USB3 ports free you could try one of those and you should easily get 200Mbps.
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Thu 03-Mar-16 11:31:59
Print Post

[re: Daemon66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Daemon66:
Wow, sounds like a nightmare, you really shouldn't ever put a PC where it is difficult to access, they go wrong far too often for that.

I know, but it was the only way I could do it without having the wires where a puppy could get to them at the time. With a bit of thought I would have made sure all the cables were long enough to be able to pull the box forward to get at it but...
Anyway, you can get USB Ethernet adapters so if you've got one of those 4 USB3 ports free you could try one of those and you should easily get 200Mbps.

I may or may not add a separate NIC or USB card, I don't actually need to as I can work with the 100/12 I get. It's now down to 'but I should get 200/12 and don't know why not' in my head. It's going to keep niggling at me because I know there's something wrong but no idea what is causing the problem.
I've learned a lot over the past few days, I've read loads of stories where others have found their solution simply by changing a cable or updating a driver. I've done all of that and mine is still 'wrong'.
Oh, and guess where the extra USB3 ports are ? Yep, on the back panel... smile

Standard User Daemon66
(member) Fri 04-Mar-16 11:16:55
Print Post

I'm sure you've done plenty of Googling on this issue but one thing that cropped up when I did was Jumbo Frames, they could be causing issues with the Hub. Might be worth checking they are disabled on your NIC and see if it makes any difference.
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Fri 04-Mar-16 12:04:17
Print Post

[re: Daemon66] [link to this post]

I'm sure you've done plenty of Googling on this issue but one thing that cropped up when I did was Jumbo Frames, they could be causing issues with the Hub. Might be worth checking they are disabled on your NIC and see if it makes any difference.

No, this is a setting I knew nothing about and had not seen anything when Googling about this problem. They were disabled when I looked but I've gone through the various settings one by one and started TBB speed tests at each level. I've done a test three times on each and aborted as it reached the 6x test as I was only looking at the 1x result.

No major difference noticed. Here's the test results:
with 6MB jumbo frames set
with jumbo frames disabled (which it was before)

Still puzzled.... smile

Standard User TMCR
(committed) Tue 22-Mar-16 19:32:45
Print Post

Just to add to this post. I bought a new "Gigabit Ethernet LAN to PCI-E Express Card 1000M" and finally installed it today, the PC isn't easy to get to and I've been ill.

I've checked it has the latest drivers and everything., toggled various settings to disabled as suggested previously, disabled the old port and tried the new - no better, still under 100Mbps on single download, gets up to about 180Mbps on multi, so actually worse than the one on the motherboard.

I wonder, if I connect the old port to the superhub, as it was, and the new port to the hub linked to the SH, would that do anything ?

The new card happens to be the same Realtek chipset, I didn't know that at the time I bought it.

Standard User TMCR
(committed) Sun 26-Jun-16 15:40:16
Print Post

Dunno how but.... Got the speed I wanted at ;last.

I keep looking at posts on the 'net where people have had similar issues, only getting 100mbps throughput on a Gigabit network card. Read back for the full story then come up to date with my solution, although just what bit made it work I don't know.

Someone pointed me to TCPOptimizer, a freebie you can find quite easily. I ran it, accepted the changes, rebooted and - 200mbps http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

I've put the info here so anyone following the thread another time can find what i did to resolve my own issue.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to