User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dynamic
(member) Thu 24-Nov-16 20:51:07
Print Post

Re: Poor single thread speed on Virgin

[re: watercooled] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the log doesn't keep an awful lot and the only messages with DHCP RENEW are "Error (4) 68010100 DHCP RENEW sent - No response for IPv4".

Quite a lot of them. Is it recommended to use the Superhub 3 as a modem only and purchase another router?

Cheers
Standard User watercooled
(learned) Thu 24-Nov-16 21:04:55
Print Post

[re: dynamic] [link to this post]

You might get it to show the MAC address by rebooting it and looking straight away.

With regards to using modem mode, it's up to you really; if you're finding it unreliable as a router or missing features then maybe another router would be worth considering. If not, why spend the extra money?
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 25-Nov-16 06:47:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I already buy such a service, although with much more favourable figures.

sky guarantee me 54mbit/sec throughput (and sync speed) so I have a 54mbit service burstable to 73mbit/sec.

The issue with VM is that if you on the wrong vendor kit and especially if you in a high utilisation area, then the so called burst speed you can forget during the busier hours, whilst with most isp's you can generally get the burst speed most of the time.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Daemon66
(member) Fri 25-Nov-16 09:34:18
Print Post

[re: cje85] [link to this post]

So you are one of the few who are badly affected by this issue. As I've said (and explained my reasoning) I very much doubt you'll be able to get any action from VM on it so vote with your feet and head to another provider.
Standard User Daemon66
(member) Fri 25-Nov-16 09:45:05
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

The fact is that having the capability for multiple FHD/UHD streams and still allowing for good gaming and even simple old web browsing at the same time is what ultra-fast broadband is all about these days. It is not about supporting people stuck in the past who want to do just one thing at a time, those people will never really need anything faster than 25mbps (well until UUHD comes along or whatever).

If you are one of the few who are badly affected by the single-thread issue, as you appear to be, then as I've said (and explained my reasoning) I very much doubt you'll be able to get any action from VM on it so vote with your feet and head to another provider.
Standard User cje85
(newbie) Fri 25-Nov-16 10:02:30
Print Post

[re: Daemon66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Daemon66:
So you are one of the few who are badly affected by this issue. As I've said (and explained my reasoning) I very much doubt you'll be able to get any action from VM on it so vote with your feet and head to another provider.

I fully intend to switch as soon as Openreach enable fibre in my area. But that's another story, the cabinet has been in place since early 2014 and still isn't live. The latest date is "31st March 2017" (originally May 2014).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 25-Nov-16 10:06:27
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

So Sky reserve you 54 Mbps of capacity across access, backhaul and core and exit to peers? If they did this for a million customers would need 54 Tbps of capacity

Why 54 Mbps? Its an odd number since once commit rates get above 1 to 5 Mbps tend to go in nice steps

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 25-Nov-16 10:35:39
Print Post

andrew I hope you not been serious.

They dont need to reserve it and you know that.

even leased line providers dont reserve 100% of bandwidth but they still guarantee 1:1 usage.

The guaranteed speed is probably a % of my estimated speed.

Whoever decided to offer it, probably realised it wont cost anything if at all, they simply provide enough capacity that the vast majority of the time they meet the target speed, in the event an outage or something else prevents the throughput there is probably still a small chance people will notice and even then a smaller chance someone will bother to complain and get it enforced, even if it went all the way what will sky do? maybe refund a month's subs smile

Edited by Chrysalis (Fri 25-Nov-16 10:40:13)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 25-Nov-16 14:42:33
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Well leased lines sold as 10 Mbps guarantee with burst to 100 Mbps for example, are budgeted in terms of bandwidth where provider knows for sure that the 10 Mbps should never be contended.

What you describe is the old school Zen sales message of we scale network to avoid any contention on our network.

Be interesting to find out how guarantee works across the Openreach fibre segment and handover fibre e.g. only 20 people on that product on each 1 Gbps handover at £2000 install cost.

So yes being serious, if everyone is happy for ISP to say they can guarantee various speeds like this in the manner you suggest, its really no different to usual services at all.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 27-Nov-16 02:27:32
Print Post

its different in that if my speed falls below 54mbit/sec sky will accept it as a fault, whilst other providers may say tough luck. I actually have it in my contract with sky this figure.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to