User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Sep-16 15:12:53
Print Post

Re: Tired of the silly games VM play

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TMCR:
Yes, I do expect some sort of loyalty offer after all this time with them. If I had my way it would reduce by £1 a year!
Why? Their costs aren't falling. If you're getting what you are paying for why do you expect a discount? Do you go into Tesco and expect them to reduce the cost of a pint of milk on the grounds that you buy it every week?

I'm no fan of VM (can't even get cable) but I've never understood why people think they should get a discount simply for continuing to use a particular service or product. It makes no sense to me.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Fri 02-Sep-16 15:51:55
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
Why? Their costs aren't falling. If you're getting what you are paying for why do you expect a discount?

No? I disagree Andrue. Their profits are rising - up 38% last year, based on price hikes that I personally feel are too much, and have felt that for several years. The say they will give a 'free' speed boost but then clobber the customers with a price rise.
(soure: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/feb/16/virgin...

People who swap ISP's as often as their socks invoke admin and materials costs each time, new routers, engineer visits to install, contracts to raise and accounts to add to computer systems etc. On top of the sales person's time and effort gaining that customer. Yet new customers get a discounted service in the first year then hop off to the next discounted 12 month contract.

A loyal customer does not need new equipment every year, or a new account setting up, therefore the ongoing cost is less to the supplier. It would make good business sense to reward such customers.

In reply to a post by Andrue:
I'm no fan of VM (can't even get cable) but I've never understood why people think they should get a discount simply for continuing to use a particular service or product. It makes no sense to me.

It is called loyalty. Something you've obviously not come across as it makes perfect sense to me.

Virgin Cable (200/12) + EE Mobile BB
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Fri 02-Sep-16 15:54:21
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
The way I see it is Y'all play a "silly game"

Price rise >Retentions deal. Price rise >Retentions deal. Price rise >Retentions deal. Price rise >Retentions deal. VM ends up losing money hand over fist to keep their churm rate low.

On ISPs like Zen and AAISP where everyone pays the same price they never seem to have this problem, or if they do it's never spoken of.

Just saying.

See my answer to Andrue. VM are NOT losing money, they have massive profits due to overcharging (IMHO) And it's not just VM who have a retentions team.

If you're happy paying higher prices to use Zen & AA then I'm happy for you...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TMCR
(committed) Fri 02-Sep-16 15:55:46
Print Post

My main complaint is that VM just don't seem to care any more.

For me it all ties in with when the Americans bought them - and for me that alone is a reason NOT to touch them with a bargepole.

You could say that for a heck of a lot of companies... It's no excuse for having appalling customer service though.

Standard User 23Prince
(newbie) Fri 02-Sep-16 16:33:19
Print Post

The way I see it is Y'all play a "silly game"

Price rise >Retentions deal. Price rise >Retentions deal. Price rise >Retentions deal. Price rise >Retentions deal. VM ends up losing money hand over fist to keep their churm rate low.

On ISPs like Zen and AAISP where everyone pays the same price they never seem to have this problem, or if they do it's never spoken of.

Just saying.

See my answer to Andrue. VM are NOT losing money, they have massive profits due to overcharging (IMHO) And it's not just VM who have a retentions team.

If you're happy paying higher prices to use Zen & AA then I'm happy for you...

I pay for neither - they were just examples.

You seem very defensive of the ISP you started a thread on to basically slate. Was it a case of they wouldn't give you money off and now they have the sun shines out of them? Loyalty means nothing in this day and age, Something you've obviously not come across.

If you wish to pay for VM then I am happy for you too - I can assure you that even VM's basic 50mbps package is way WAY more than I pay, and that's an everyday standard price, No reductions, no discounts, no silly gift cards.

Like I said, Loyalty means jack.
Standard User 23Prince
(newbie) Fri 02-Sep-16 16:37:37
Print Post

My main complaint is that VM just don't seem to care any more.

For me it all ties in with when the Americans bought them - and for me that alone is a reason NOT to touch them with a bargepole.

You could say that for a heck of a lot of companies... It's no excuse for having appalling customer service though.

I can and I agree - however I convey my view by whoever gets my money - and anyone with an overseas call centre (or run by americans) does not.

I admit this is getting smaller and smaller, but still there is always going to be options.

Getting told to F off by Three's overseas tech support sort of nailed it in the coffin for me. And that was by a tech support agent who had no idea how to troubleshoot.

Edited by 23Prince (Fri 02-Sep-16 16:38:15)

Standard User TMCR
(committed) Fri 02-Sep-16 18:16:44
Print Post

You seem very defensive of the ISP you started a thread on to basically slate.

No, I was simply going over the fact that VM have made massive profits out of their customers, myself included. No sun shining out of anywhere, all the ISP's I went through are as bad in that respect.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Sep-16 20:55:03
Print Post

No, I was simply going over the fact that VM have made massive profits out of their customers, myself included. No sun shining out of anywhere, all the ISP's I went through are as bad in that respect.

As far as I'm aware VM have made no profit in the grand scheme, due to the enormous losses they have incurred over the years. They only started breaking even relatively recently. They are making some money now but the huge deferred losses are going to take a while to cover.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 02-Sep-16 21:48:40
Print Post

One thing you dont seem to grasp tho, by giving you the discount, someone else is paying extra to subsidise your service, where would these profits go if "everyone" paid the same price as you?

This is one thing I have always hated about VM that they give in to people like you, You should have been told to take a hike if you didnt want to pay the going rate, but as has been said they prepared to lose money on you so the churn figures look good.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4

Edited by Chrysalis (Fri 02-Sep-16 21:49:24)

Standard User TMCR
(committed) Fri 02-Sep-16 22:57:02
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
One thing you dont seem to grasp tho, by giving you the discount, someone else is paying extra to subsidise your service, where would these profits go if "everyone" paid the same price as you?

So the people who sign up for a year, get all the new kit, installation, new account and so on AND at a whopping discount are where VM makes it's profit?

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
This is one thing I have always hated about VM that they give in to people like you, You should have been told to take a hike if you didnt want to pay the going rate, but as has been said they prepared to lose money on you so the churn figures look good.

Nope, to be able to cut my price down I had to chop out services - phone and TV are no more with VM, despite having had them for 20 years. No matter what you say, I'm still going to be subsidising those who only want the cheapest deals and will drop VM like a stone once their discounted year ends.
If VM had not have hiked the prices up year upon year I wouldn't be telling them I'm paying too much for what I get. It's not just VM who offer retentions deals either. Had they told me to take a hike I was quite prepared to.
They are not prepared to offer me the same discounted prices they offer new customers, so who's paying the extra ??

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to