User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Mon 12-Sep-16 14:34:28
Print Post

Re: Tired of the silly games VM play

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
In reply to a post by TMCR:
A loyal customer does not need new equipment every year, or a new account setting up, therefore the ongoing cost is less to the supplier. It would make good business sense to reward such customers.
No - it's likely that the initial year is run at a loss so as to attract new custom. The CPs hope to claw back the difference and get to profit in subsequent years. There's not many services where you get a discount for staying on. Those that do exist such as insurance products are usually discounts for not making use of the service which is not the same thing.

What you got was an introductory offer and after the first year you are paying for the service you are getting. Expecting discount after discount makes no sense to me since it effectively means the service cannot be priced. Or at least you never pay the price advertised which is equally daft.

If you want to chop and change then you are free to do so and you can save money. You might (or might not) care that you are doing it at the expense of those who don't change as often.

I'm not objecting to you wanting to 'live' on introductory offers. Nor am I interested in debating the merits or otherwise of VM since I don't live in a cabled area and doubt I'd go with them if I did. I'm just puzzled as to what life experience has led you to the point where you expect to get a loyalty discount. Maybe I've been buying the wrong services from the wrong places but at nearly fifty years old I have yet to encounter any business that reliably and consistently does what you claim to be expecting. It seems to me that this expectation of yours is just going to cause you angst and grief because it's unrealistic.

VM are not making huge profits. Until a couple of years they'd never made a profit. Even now most of their 'profits' are being ploughed into network expansion. Being an ISP has never been a hugely profitable endeavour. The idea that any ISP in the UK is making vast sums of money by overcharging its customers is just wrong.

If you look back to the first post in this thread, I stated that I had been a customer for 20 years. Back then there were no introductory offers and I've not chopped and changed ISP's at all. What I will agree with is that doing so is at the expense of those who don't change as often, which is a point I made. "...the initial year is run at a loss so as to attract new custom" is probably correct for those joining in more recent times.

Because of the sheer length of time I've been with them I would expect some 'loyalty' consideration, if only to provide good customer service, the very reason why I was frustrated with them. The main reason for starting this thread was that they had taken off an ongoing 'loyalty' discount that should have remained in place. It seems that their people make up the rules as they go along as it was supposed to be a 12 month discount, then got chopped after 7 months. The next person I spoke to said it would only last 6 months, another suggested as low as 3 months. In other words, they don't have the foggiest.

Virgin Cable (200/12) + EE Mobile BB
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 13-Sep-16 21:50:08
Print Post

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

retention giveaways usually last as long as the recontract period at the most. They limit it as obviously they hope you forget and eventually pay the proper price. To give a lifetime loyalty discount at a rate that is losing money is just bonkers.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User 23Prince
(regular) Fri 16-Sep-16 09:31:57
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
retention giveaways usually last as long as the recontract period at the most. They limit it as obviously they hope you forget and eventually pay the proper price. To give a lifetime loyalty discount at a rate that is losing money is just bonkers.

Hence the constant Price rises, which is a shame.

In retrospect - AAISP just lowered their prices, they've never done any form of tiered pricing or new customer [censored].

Everyone should be like that IMO

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User buggs01
(newbie) Fri 14-Oct-16 17:48:24
Print Post

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

For anyone that's with Virgin Media and are sick and tired of regular prices hikes or their poor service and unreliable speeds/high Utilisation there's a petition to that's been set up to try and get some justice for customers.

Petition: https://www.change.org/p/stop-virgin-media-dodgy-tra...

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/stopvirginmedia
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 15-Oct-16 10:58:42
Print Post

[re: buggs01] [link to this post]

Not a VM customer but will sign as I agree with the utilisation part of the petition. They are blatant misselling in those areas.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to