User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Sep-16 22:41:18
Print Post

Re: Tired of the silly games VM play

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

Fixed IP is becoming slightly irrelevant with the introduction of IPv6 which is not a fixed IP.
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Thu 01-Sep-16 23:23:49
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

But until such time as ISP's like VM start using IPv6 I need some way of 'calling back to base' to my home system when I'm on the move, without having to check the IP address before I set off out someplace.

I've had the same IPv4 address since October 2013 and that's good for my purposes. OK, VM don't give a fixed IP but it's as good as providing you don't turn your hub off. It works for me anyway.

Virgin Cable (200/12) + EE Mobile BB
Standard User Daemon66
(member) Fri 02-Sep-16 09:42:04
Print Post

I suggest you have a look at a new innovation in IP (the RFC is only 19 years old) called dynamic DNS. There are even some new companies (barely 7 years old) that offer simple tools for managing it. There are also some router providers who provide their own version of the service for free.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 02-Sep-16 11:35:57
Print Post

Not sure if it would serve your purpose but I use Teamviewer with remote access setup to a machine, it gets me into my home LAN where I can carry out tasks.

My IP changes once every few months for whatever reason on BT.
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Fri 02-Sep-16 11:42:42
Print Post

[re: Daemon66] [link to this post]

But why work around like this ? I'm aware of Dynamic DNS and have used it elsewhere in the past. Was not a big fan back then and disliked the sub-sub domain names method.

I wasn't aware of a router being able to do similar but again it's working around when having a static IP address in the first place is the logical answer.

Maybe you've moved on but a lot of people I deal with have not and a numeric IP address plus port number is what I need in order to do things here.

Thanks for the suggestions but it does not solve my issues with VM.

Standard User TMCR
(committed) Fri 02-Sep-16 11:44:46
Print Post

Yep - I use Teamviewer for one particular situation and it works reasonably well but isn't an answer for certain things I need to do here. The static IP address is only a small part of the overall issue.

Standard User TMCR
(committed) Fri 02-Sep-16 11:57:16
Print Post

I know I've replied to my own post...That's because this message isn't for any particular person who has read or replied to my update.

For many many reasons I'm staying with VM for the next 12 months, who knows what will happen after that. It seems the topic went off on a tangent over the IP address part and I appreciate the suggestions, it's just that they don't do what I need to do.

To explain, I am disabled and stuck at home a lot. I fill the time by doing (a lot of) volunteer work for Community and Internet radio stations. Their servers require a connection to my system that is static. I've used my VM IP address happily for this, it's not changed in years as the superhub is 'always on'.

My main complaint is that VM just don't seem to care any more. They seem OK with a long-standing customer leaving rather than even trying to retain them. It seems so wrong that they have that attitude through most of the chain of 'customer service'. It took so long to sort out several issues that were caused by a new contract being set up late last year that I really don't want to have to go through all that again.

Standard User 23Prince
(newbie) Fri 02-Sep-16 13:36:29
Print Post

The way I see it is Y'all play a "silly game"

Price rise >Retentions deal. Price rise >Retentions deal. Price rise >Retentions deal. Price rise >Retentions deal. VM ends up losing money hand over fist to keep their churm rate low.

On ISPs like Zen and AAISP where everyone pays the same price they never seem to have this problem, or if they do it's never spoken of.

Just saying.
Standard User 23Prince
(newbie) Fri 02-Sep-16 13:39:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Not sure if it would serve your purpose but I use Teamviewer with remote access setup to a machine, it gets me into my home LAN where I can carry out tasks.

My IP changes once every few months for whatever reason on BT.

based on the fact the IP address does not matter to TV as it's all done on computer ID and password - I think that's a good idea for them smile

I use it too.
Standard User 23Prince
(newbie) Fri 02-Sep-16 13:41:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by TMCR:
My main complaint is that VM just don't seem to care any more.

For me it all ties in with when the Americans bought them - and for me that alone is a reason NOT to touch them with a bargepole.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to