User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User carl9199
(newbie) Fri 02-Sep-16 23:30:59
Print Post

Re: Tired of the silly games VM play

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Fixed IP is becoming slightly irrelevant with the introduction of IPv6 which is not a fixed IP.

I have a static ipv6 as well as a ipv4 address with IDNet.
Standard User knicol46
(learned) Sat 03-Sep-16 09:05:37
Print Post

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

I recently phoned Virgin Media customer services. It reminded me why I left them over 5 years ago.
Standard User 23Prince
(newbie) Sat 03-Sep-16 10:48:06
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
One thing you dont seem to grasp tho, by giving you the discount, someone else is paying extra to subsidise your service, where would these profits go if "everyone" paid the same price as you?

This is one thing I have always hated about VM that they give in to people like you, You should have been told to take a hike if you didnt want to pay the going rate, but as has been said they prepared to lose money on you so the churn figures look good.

Finally, 2 people (you and Ignition) who speak sense!

I always thought too it was granny using her 50mbps to check e-mail that subsidised people who get discounts (and download lots)

Edited by 23Prince (Sat 03-Sep-16 10:49:16)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mpellatt
(member) Sat 10-Sep-16 08:16:15
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

As far as I'm aware VM have made no profit in the grand scheme, due to the enormous losses they have incurred over the years

I think you'll find it's mostly shareholders and bondholders who have lost money over the years through the various sales and restructurings in the UK cable biz. VM as it stands today is definitely profitable
Standard User mpellatt
(member) Sat 10-Sep-16 08:26:51
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
This is one thing I have always hated about VM that they give in to people like you, You should have been told to take a hike if you didnt want to pay the going rate, but as has been said they prepared to lose money on you so the churn figures look good.

I don't care if a supplier "gives in" to me or anyone else if I/they seek to negotiate a better deal than the one initially on offer at the end of a contract period. How they choose to run their business is no concern of mine unless I'm a shareholder (or employee). As a customer all I want is the best price/quality of service point I can negotiate.

In the communications business, this can be greatly assisted by the market sector using churn rate as one of its KPIs (Key Performance Indicators), so hit them at a time when they need to improve that, and your negotiation will be easier.

Simples.
Standard User 23Prince
(regular) Sat 10-Sep-16 15:53:51
Print Post

[re: mpellatt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mpellatt:
As far as I'm aware VM have made no profit in the grand scheme, due to the enormous losses they have incurred over the years

I think you'll find it's mostly shareholders and bondholders who have lost money over the years through the various sales and restructurings in the UK cable biz. VM as it stands today is definitely profitable

You really need to make sure you are factually correct 1000% or else, as his reputation shows, He will destroy you with his answer.

So good luck.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Sep-16 16:55:13
Print Post

[re: mpellatt] [link to this post]

VM as it stands today is definitely profitable

Is that profit going to service the structural debt (network build from the 1990s) or back into investment, or as dividends to Liberty Global's shareholders?

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 - Sync as of 7th Aug 16: 55,355/10,291 kbps with G.INP
17 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial -Router: Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM
Standard User 23Prince
(regular) Mon 12-Sep-16 11:13:57
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
VM as it stands today is definitely profitable

Is that profit going to service the structural debt (network build from the 1990s) or back into investment, or as dividends to Liberty Global's shareholders?

My area struggled at the 100 stage, giving it 300 just flatlined it - so more than likely share holders and yankees
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 12-Sep-16 12:47:40
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:

Kinda all the above, however the debt from the initial network build is largely gone due to debt for equity swaps.

It's going into servicing the company's current debt, network rebuild, upgrades and the Project Lightning new build, along with some being returned to the LGI group to cover that group's debt and expenses.

As far as I'm aware LGI aren't paying dividends right now and the group as a whole is not profitable.
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 12-Sep-16 14:02:54
Print Post

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TMCR:
A loyal customer does not need new equipment every year, or a new account setting up, therefore the ongoing cost is less to the supplier. It would make good business sense to reward such customers.
No - it's likely that the initial year is run at a loss so as to attract new custom. The CPs hope to claw back the difference and get to profit in subsequent years. There's not many services where you get a discount for staying on. Those that do exist such as insurance products are usually discounts for not making use of the service which is not the same thing.

What you got was an introductory offer and after the first year you are paying for the service you are getting. Expecting discount after discount makes no sense to me since it effectively means the service cannot be priced. Or at least you never pay the price advertised which is equally daft.

If you want to chop and change then you are free to do so and you can save money. You might (or might not) care that you are doing it at the expense of those who don't change as often.

I'm not objecting to you wanting to 'live' on introductory offers. Nor am I interested in debating the merits or otherwise of VM since I don't live in a cabled area and doubt I'd go with them if I did. I'm just puzzled as to what life experience has led you to the point where you expect to get a loyalty discount. Maybe I've been buying the wrong services from the wrong places but at nearly fifty years old I have yet to encounter any business that reliably and consistently does what you claim to be expecting. It seems to me that this expectation of yours is just going to cause you angst and grief because it's unrealistic.

VM are not making huge profits. Until a couple of years they'd never made a profit. Even now most of their 'profits' are being ploughed into network expansion. Being an ISP has never been a hugely profitable endeavour. The idea that any ISP in the UK is making vast sums of money by overcharging its customers is just wrong.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Mon 12-Sep-16 14:12:58)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to