User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-Sep-16 12:01:21
Print Post

Re: Vivid Gamer 200 upgrade BQM got worse

[re: davebruno] [link to this post]

Jitter on Virgin Media is usually done to the way DOCSIS works and the impact of what others are doing on the shared medium rather than the traffic management systems and upload speed capping that used to take place.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 23Prince
(regular) Tue 20-Sep-16 13:06:25
Print Post

Something I think does not happen on FTTC so you will be happy on AAISP
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-Sep-16 13:26:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by davebruno:
I hoped some of the jitter was traffic management but my jitter actually got measurably worse on the higher speed gamer package!

The traffic management does not apply to the downstream, only the upstream at 50Mbps... Even then the upload speed is 1.5Mbps which is plenty for gaming. So to all intents and purposes the traffic management should have made no difference. As others have stated it's just the way the virginmedia network is designed.

Companies such as TalkTalk and BT often have a worse reputation to the public than virginmedia, with people stating virginmedia is fibre optic and has better cabling etc... Reality is that for gaming you'd almost always be better with a TT or BT connection. Congestion as well seems much more rare on the other providers. I personally had virginmedia and could not believe how poor my connection was. I was paying 39 quid a month and my TT connection at 18 quid performed better for most tasks.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 23Prince
(regular) Tue 20-Sep-16 16:03:18
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
I hoped some of the jitter was traffic management but my jitter actually got measurably worse on the higher speed gamer package!

The traffic management does not apply to the downstream, only the upstream at 50Mbps... Even then the upload speed is 1.5Mbps which is plenty for gaming. So to all intents and purposes the traffic management should have made no difference. As others have stated it's just the way the virginmedia network is designed.

Companies such as TalkTalk and BT often have a worse reputation to the public than virginmedia, with people stating virginmedia is fibre optic and has better cabling etc... Reality is that for gaming you'd almost always be better with a TT or BT connection. Congestion as well seems much more rare on the other providers. I personally had virginmedia and could not believe how poor my connection was. I was paying 39 quid a month and my TT connection at 18 quid performed better for most tasks.

It's well documented I had congestion with Infinity but it was sorted out in days with a segment reshuffle. But I also have a TalkTalk Business connection via AAISP and no complaints there.

Edited by 23Prince (Tue 20-Sep-16 16:03:44)

Standard User davebruno
(learned) Tue 20-Sep-16 17:24:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Push comes to shove do you think a really long line (2 miles birdseye) from me to cabinet fttc would be any better than my Virgin for low/stable ping? Dont really care about speeds aslong as Ive got 40+ down 5+ up I'll be happy just want a nice stable and low latency connection.. But 2 miles plus of copper if they do put me on cab2 laisterdyke is a lot of copper!
Standard User Realalemadrid
(learned) Tue 20-Sep-16 19:04:25
Print Post

You can forget FTTC at that distance, you will be lucky to get any speed at all. Have you actually discovered which cabinet you are connected to? It seems strange that you may be on a different exchange to your neighbours.

Edited by Realalemadrid (Tue 20-Sep-16 19:07:36)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-Sep-16 19:57:54
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

believe it is all a red herring

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-Sep-16 20:06:46
Print Post

I do not think your line is 2 miles if it estimates 40Mbps.

I find even ADSL at 15Mbps better for gaming than VM. It is hard to say for certain what will be better, but usually BQMs are better outside of VM.
Standard User 23Prince
(regular) Tue 20-Sep-16 21:13:15
Print Post

Push comes to shove do you think a really long line (2 miles birdseye) from me to cabinet fttc would be any better than my Virgin for low/stable ping? Dont really care about speeds aslong as Ive got 40+ down 5+ up I'll be happy just want a nice stable and low latency connection.. But 2 miles plus of copper if they do put me on cab2 laisterdyke is a lot of copper!

I assume you did put your number into the checker at the bottom of http://aa.net.uk/ ? it'll tell you your line length.

AA should have/would have told you anyway at signup.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 20-Sep-16 21:32:05
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
I assume you did put your number into the checker at the bottom of http://aa.net.uk/ ? it'll tell you your line length.
Which number? He doesn't have a phone.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to