User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mpellatt
(member) Thu 22-Sep-16 06:14:32
Print Post

Re: Vivid Gamer 200 upgrade BQM got worse

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Jitter on Virgin Media is usually done to the way DOCSIS works and the impact of what others are doing on the shared medium rather than the traffic management systems and upload speed capping that used to take place.

Something more/other than that is going on here. There's massive evidence that on the same physical connection a Hub 2ac (or even a "plain" Hub 2) won't show massively variable ping times, whereas a Hub 3 will. So the finger points pretty firmly at the Hub 3 as the root of the issue.
Standard User Daemon66
(member) Thu 22-Sep-16 09:33:44
Print Post

[re: davebruno] [link to this post]

Sorry to hear that you have a bad experience of Virgin like many others here but to counter the outpouring of VM hate that has appeared here I'd like to show that VM can sometimes get it right, here is my graph: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/409fe532050...
And that includes a 50GB download of Forza Horizon 3 in the evening peak smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 22-Sep-16 09:54:31
Print Post

[re: mpellatt] [link to this post]

Yes jitter on BQM is sometimes made to look worse because some firmware in some versions of the superhub deprioritise ICMP echo responses so long that it makes things look worse.

This is why sometimes outbound pings from a PC will be better than the BQM system.

i.e. multiple issues happening

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User hgrbirchall
(newbie) Thu 22-Sep-16 10:40:57
Print Post

I spoke to VM yesterday as my internet connection had become unusable: it was dropping out every ~35 minutes. It appears that there is a firmware issue with the Hub3.0 which exhibits when in modem mode and connected to certain hardware at there end.

I got them to send me a SH2ac as it does not suffer from the same issue, and also appears to have noticeably better ping times.

here is a link to my BQM and my parents (Hub3.0 v SH2ac) both in modem mode.
Me: My Broadband Ping
Parents: My Broadband Ping

see this link to the VM forum for more details of the issue. (warning this thread is over 100 pages and counting, lots of people are suffering from this issue) Hub 3.0 port flapping

I hope this helps.
Standard User davebruno
(learned) Thu 22-Sep-16 13:23:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Yes jitter on BQM is sometimes made to look worse because some firmware in some versions of the superhub deprioritise ICMP echo responses so long that it makes things look worse.

This is why sometimes outbound pings from a PC will be better than the BQM system.

i.e. multiple issues happening

If it was prioritizing them would it not only show when underload? i.e something to give priority over?

My PC pings to their own DNS server shows a varience of 3-4ms and every 5 or so pings it goes up by about 50-100ms.. Better than the BQM but not ideal for their highest tier gamer oriented package..
Standard User 23Prince
(regular) Thu 22-Sep-16 13:27:21
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
In reply to a post by 23Prince:
I assume you did put your number into the checker at the bottom of http://aa.net.uk/ ? it'll tell you your line length.
Which number? He doesn't have a phone.

oops!

postcode then? tongue
Standard User 23Prince
(regular) Thu 22-Sep-16 13:28:12
Print Post

[re: Daemon66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Daemon66:
Sorry to hear that you have a bad experience of Virgin like many others here but to counter the outpouring of VM hate that has appeared here I'd like to show that VM can sometimes get it right, here is my graph: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/409fe532050...
And that includes a 50GB download of Forza Horizon 3 in the evening peak smile

You call all that red good? ok..
Standard User davebruno
(learned) Thu 22-Sep-16 13:35:02
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

I assume you did put your number into the checker at the bottom of http://aa.net.uk/ ? it'll tell you your line length.

oops!

postcode then? tongue

Yeah postcode was showing 40meg FTTC on a 2+mile line so it was wrong, AAISP done their magic now my postcode shows 80/20 if I get a clean line, 75/20 impacted.. New copper pair installed on the 7th so hopefully it should be clean!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 22-Sep-16 14:18:27
Print Post

Depends on what the router CPU is doing, might be periodic memory clean-up calls

I did point out when doing the news about the gamer package that it adds nothing to improve latency and is more intended for those who find the existing upload regime limiting e.g. twitch broadcasters

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 23Prince
(regular) Thu 22-Sep-16 15:16:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by davebruno:
... nested quotes trimmed ...

oops!

postcode then? tongue

Yeah postcode was showing 40meg FTTC on a 2+mile line so it was wrong, AAISP done their magic now my postcode shows 80/20 if I get a clean line, 75/20 impacted.. New copper pair installed on the 7th so hopefully it should be clean!

Well I have 80/20 and I get 74/18 sometimes 19.
75/20 is still brill so that's about 69/70 down and 18/19 up
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to