User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User epyon
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 18-Oct-16 21:14:08
Print Post

Re: Coming to my area soonish

[re: MrGrumpy] [link to this post]

welp still nothing in aberdeen and by the looks of it never will.

AAISP FTTC - 80/20 *TP-Link W9980*
Three - 4G *Huawei Honor 8*
Standard User 23Prince
(member) Wed 19-Oct-16 09:57:33
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by epyon:
welp still nothing in aberdeen and by the looks of it never will.

If you have 80/20 FTTC like I do then I can tell you that Virgin will be something you will try but will soon return to FTTC. It's better in every way,.

Don't let the headline speeds tempt you - they are rarely achieved because your new new node will have as many people as possible crammed on it and you'll get such a pitiful service in the evenings you will either use the 28 days get out clause or wish you had.

An ISP that offers a 28 day money back guarantee does not really strike me as someone who is confident in their network or chances of delivering what they sell.

Been there, came back won't go there again.

Edited by 23Prince (Wed 19-Oct-16 09:57:59)

Standard User sheppy
(regular) Wed 19-Oct-16 15:45:18
Print Post

[re: weesteev] [link to this post]

whats happening with the overbuild plans in Glasgow, specifically G15 and G13 ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 24-Oct-16 14:52:28
Print Post

[re: sheppy] [link to this post]

Well work has commenced in Fife, the pavements are being dug up as we speak. As for the mega high speeds, i`m currently on on a 80/20 i think but get 10 up and 40 odd down on good days. To be fair its plenty fast enough, more interested in TV options and other offers, currently on BT TV but not sure its good value for money for what I pay. Shall see over the next year or so how Virgin roll out their services !

Regards

MrG

Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

All spelling and grammatical errors are left in on purpose
Standard User 23Prince
(member) Mon 24-Oct-16 18:47:41
Print Post

Can you please post your up and down stats? Sound like you are on 40/10
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 25-Oct-16 06:56:24
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Unable too gain access to that as my original modem had a firmware upgrade and lost access via the back door, so not got a clue but my package has remained unchanged , regardless its fast enough in this household. Would toil to probably stream 4k stuff which is why i never bothered upgrading my TV package with BT.

Regards

MrG

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 25-Oct-16 07:35:21
Print Post

Should be in good shape. The network they are building in entirely new areas, even the hybrid fibre-coaxial one, is very capable. It has tons of bandwidth available and plenty of room for broadband capacity. The network will be gigabit capable straight away.
Standard User 23Prince
(member) Tue 25-Oct-16 11:11:45
Print Post

My TV says it came run 4K/UHD just fine on 35mbps - I have the full 80.

I had 1 problem with my line in that congestion hit, but after I dealt with some guys in Newcastle I was moved onto a less congested segment (their words) and it ran all the time until I moved over to another Provider.

But it does sound like you are on the 40/10 product, which I think should now be 52mbps minimum? I think BT put the speed of the Infinity 1 to that to give people a bit more if they can get it.

As for BT TV, take it from someone who had it - it's pants. an IPTV service from Ebay would give you better HD and on demand contact - again I had it - and I still do.

Edit: Most TV's come with the Smart IPTV app - and if not you can download it.

Edited by 23Prince (Tue 25-Oct-16 11:13:15)

Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 25-Oct-16 12:31:58
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
Should be in good shape. The network they are building in entirely new areas, even the hybrid fibre-coaxial one, is very capable. It has tons of bandwidth available and plenty of room for broadband capacity. The network will be gigabit capable straight away.

Good to hear, shall see what comes about will be a while as i reckon they only just started not long after i read about it on BBC news and local newspaper. Roll out i assume will be at least a year.

Regards

MrG

Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 25-Oct-16 12:35:34
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
My TV says it came run 4K/UHD just fine on 35mbps - I have the full 80.

I had 1 problem with my line in that congestion hit, but after I dealt with some guys in Newcastle I was moved onto a less congested segment (their words) and it ran all the time until I moved over to another Provider.

But it does sound like you are on the 40/10 product, which I think should now be 52mbps minimum? I think BT put the speed of the Infinity 1 to that to give people a bit more if they can get it.

As for BT TV, take it from someone who had it - it's pants. an IPTV service from Ebay would give you better HD and on demand contact - again I had it - and I still do.

Edit: Most TV's come with the Smart IPTV app - and if not you can download it.

Will I never bothered buying the 4k TV as i reckon it wasted cash, anyway i digress, BT TV is pretty rubbish, Netflix and youtube for my streaming stuff. You are probably on the money in terms of the package I`m on as well, I was never getting the full 80mb as i recall on install the engineer checking and testing my line that what i had was near the limit for me. Only bonus was BT sport but I can take it or leave it, more interested in Eurosport etc.

Regards

MrG

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to