User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 11-Oct-16 09:34:52
Print Post

Coming to my area soonish

[link to this post]

Just spotted this in the news http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-37608122 seems they will be coming into my area over the next couple of years. More choice i suppose for me.

Regards

MrG

Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

All spelling and grammatical errors are left in on purpose
Standard User 23Prince
(member) Tue 11-Oct-16 10:14:41
Print Post

Re: Coming to my area soonish

[re: MrGrumpy] [link to this post]

My advice,

Enjoy it when you first get it - because they WILL oversell it and then you will see naff peak time speeds. - as it is in a lot of other places around the UK

However with the 50/50 chance you won't be part of the UK and will be under EU control then - so who knows? you might get VM or you might get decent service. Ireland will be part of the EU and they get better speeds and prices on Liberty Global's platform there.

Edited by 23Prince (Tue 11-Oct-16 10:15:34)

Standard User weesteev
(newbie) Tue 11-Oct-16 10:21:40
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

What absolute nonsense 23Prince!

If you need any updates MrGrumpy then give me a shout wink

Although I work for Virgin Media, all comments are a personal opinion and not a direct expression of my employer wink

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Daemon66
(member) Tue 11-Oct-16 10:36:36
Print Post

What on earth did VM do to you while you worked for them 23Prince, to make you bitter enough that you continue to post negative comments about them on here even though you no longer use them yourself?

VM do provide a good service to the majority of their customers, myself included. Forums like this and even the VM community can give a very distorted impression since people only use them when they are having issues.

The only major issue with VM is that when an area does become over-subscribed they can take a long time to sort it out. I experienced this with the connection to my daughters student flat in Cardiff, in the end turning to 3G to get a reliable internet connection.

It is also worth noting that (similar to some other service providers) you do need to phone up and threaten cancellation occasionally to get a good price from them, and their phone support staff are a long way off being the best in the market.
Standard User 23Prince
(member) Tue 11-Oct-16 13:06:40
Print Post

[re: weesteev] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by weesteev:
What absolute nonsense 23Prince!

Look at your own forums, and then tell me that slow speeds, evening congestion and unhappy customers is "rubbish"

Are the incentives that good now that staff are all blind to the reality?
Standard User 23Prince
(member) Tue 11-Oct-16 13:07:15
Print Post

[re: Daemon66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Daemon66:
What on earth did VM do to you while you worked for them 23Prince, to make you bitter enough that you continue to post negative comments about them on here even though you no longer use them yourself?

VM do provide a good service to the majority of their customers, myself included. Forums like this and even the VM community can give a very distorted impression since people only use them when they are having issues.

The only major issue with VM is that when an area does become over-subscribed they can take a long time to sort it out. I experienced this with the connection to my daughters student flat in Cardiff, in the end turning to 3G to get a reliable internet connection.

It is also worth noting that (similar to some other service providers) you do need to phone up and threaten cancellation occasionally to get a good price from them, and their phone support staff are a long way off being the best in the market.

Nothing,

Again see above.
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 11-Oct-16 14:25:22
Print Post

be a while yet i should think and nothing wrong with my current BT service to be fair, but West Fife is all of sudden becoming a hot bed of activity !!

Regards

MrG

Standard User Daemon66
(member) Tue 11-Oct-16 16:54:45
Print Post

You mean those forums that have had less posts during their entire existence than VM has current customers? But then again I expect you'll claim nobody ever posts multiple times, every post is an separate actual issue and therefore it actually does represent a significant part of the customer base.
(Some posters have post counts in the 10,000s, so it probably actually only represents a small fraction of a percentage point of the customer base. The number of people who have ever registered an account is less than 7% of the current customer base.)

Edited by Daemon66 (Tue 11-Oct-16 16:58:42)

Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 12-Oct-16 02:07:27
Print Post

They're also back in Londonderry digging up streets they missed back at the start.

BT Infinity 2 using Smart Hub - Type B
TBB Speedtest
My Broadband Ping
Standard User 23Prince
(member) Thu 13-Oct-16 15:31:44
Print Post

[re: Daemon66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Daemon66:
You mean those forums that have had less posts during their entire existence than VM has current customers? But then again I expect you'll claim nobody ever posts multiple times, every post is an separate actual issue and therefore it actually does represent a significant part of the customer base.
(Some posters have post counts in the 10,000s, so it probably actually only represents a small fraction of a percentage point of the customer base. The number of people who have ever registered an account is less than 7% of the current customer base.)

Well I guess they can afford to lose those customers. Some other ISP will be happy to pick them up Im sure
Standard User epyon
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 18-Oct-16 21:14:08
Print Post

welp still nothing in aberdeen and by the looks of it never will.

AAISP FTTC - 80/20 *TP-Link W9980*
Three - 4G *Huawei Honor 8*
Standard User 23Prince
(member) Wed 19-Oct-16 09:57:33
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by epyon:
welp still nothing in aberdeen and by the looks of it never will.

If you have 80/20 FTTC like I do then I can tell you that Virgin will be something you will try but will soon return to FTTC. It's better in every way,.

Don't let the headline speeds tempt you - they are rarely achieved because your new new node will have as many people as possible crammed on it and you'll get such a pitiful service in the evenings you will either use the 28 days get out clause or wish you had.

An ISP that offers a 28 day money back guarantee does not really strike me as someone who is confident in their network or chances of delivering what they sell.

Been there, came back won't go there again.

Edited by 23Prince (Wed 19-Oct-16 09:57:59)

Standard User sheppy
(regular) Wed 19-Oct-16 15:45:18
Print Post

whats happening with the overbuild plans in Glasgow, specifically G15 and G13 ?
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 24-Oct-16 14:52:28
Print Post

[re: sheppy] [link to this post]

Well work has commenced in Fife, the pavements are being dug up as we speak. As for the mega high speeds, i`m currently on on a 80/20 i think but get 10 up and 40 odd down on good days. To be fair its plenty fast enough, more interested in TV options and other offers, currently on BT TV but not sure its good value for money for what I pay. Shall see over the next year or so how Virgin roll out their services !

Regards

MrG

Standard User 23Prince
(member) Mon 24-Oct-16 18:47:41
Print Post

Can you please post your up and down stats? Sound like you are on 40/10
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 25-Oct-16 06:56:24
Print Post

Unable too gain access to that as my original modem had a firmware upgrade and lost access via the back door, so not got a clue but my package has remained unchanged , regardless its fast enough in this household. Would toil to probably stream 4k stuff which is why i never bothered upgrading my TV package with BT.

Regards

MrG

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 25-Oct-16 07:35:21
Print Post

Should be in good shape. The network they are building in entirely new areas, even the hybrid fibre-coaxial one, is very capable. It has tons of bandwidth available and plenty of room for broadband capacity. The network will be gigabit capable straight away.
Standard User 23Prince
(member) Tue 25-Oct-16 11:11:45
Print Post

My TV says it came run 4K/UHD just fine on 35mbps - I have the full 80.

I had 1 problem with my line in that congestion hit, but after I dealt with some guys in Newcastle I was moved onto a less congested segment (their words) and it ran all the time until I moved over to another Provider.

But it does sound like you are on the 40/10 product, which I think should now be 52mbps minimum? I think BT put the speed of the Infinity 1 to that to give people a bit more if they can get it.

As for BT TV, take it from someone who had it - it's pants. an IPTV service from Ebay would give you better HD and on demand contact - again I had it - and I still do.

Edit: Most TV's come with the Smart IPTV app - and if not you can download it.

Edited by 23Prince (Tue 25-Oct-16 11:13:15)

Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 25-Oct-16 12:31:58
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
Should be in good shape. The network they are building in entirely new areas, even the hybrid fibre-coaxial one, is very capable. It has tons of bandwidth available and plenty of room for broadband capacity. The network will be gigabit capable straight away.

Good to hear, shall see what comes about will be a while as i reckon they only just started not long after i read about it on BBC news and local newspaper. Roll out i assume will be at least a year.

Regards

MrG

Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 25-Oct-16 12:35:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
My TV says it came run 4K/UHD just fine on 35mbps - I have the full 80.

I had 1 problem with my line in that congestion hit, but after I dealt with some guys in Newcastle I was moved onto a less congested segment (their words) and it ran all the time until I moved over to another Provider.

But it does sound like you are on the 40/10 product, which I think should now be 52mbps minimum? I think BT put the speed of the Infinity 1 to that to give people a bit more if they can get it.

As for BT TV, take it from someone who had it - it's pants. an IPTV service from Ebay would give you better HD and on demand contact - again I had it - and I still do.

Edit: Most TV's come with the Smart IPTV app - and if not you can download it.

Will I never bothered buying the 4k TV as i reckon it wasted cash, anyway i digress, BT TV is pretty rubbish, Netflix and youtube for my streaming stuff. You are probably on the money in terms of the package I`m on as well, I was never getting the full 80mb as i recall on install the engineer checking and testing my line that what i had was near the limit for me. Only bonus was BT sport but I can take it or leave it, more interested in Eurosport etc.

Regards

MrG

Standard User 23Prince
(member) Wed 26-Oct-16 10:04:43
Print Post

I am a very late adopter to the 4K/UHD scene but I do like it. I have a new TV and I pay £70 a year for an IPTV service so it's all through an app on the telly. I get pretty much all channels from around the world, all the PPV and football box office channels, thousands of movies all in the right categories and all in HD/UHD/4K

I like wresting, I get access to the WWE network and sky box office so for me it's worth it for that alone.

I use the Iplayer and stuff and also use the TV via the built in freesat so we have a TV licence. But to be honest all the UK TV channels come through this app as well so I could de tune the TV and not pay the fee and they would be none the wiser. Also as the TV runs via ethernet I could use that until they decide to tie it to licence number access.

They also rip all the netflix stuff and pop it on in the same formats.I spent ages downloading Luke Cage in 4K (16GB a time) to put on Plex only to find out that it's on there already :/

I'm not trying to sell anything to you as I just pay for it - but if you wanted to know more get in touch.

Edited by 23Prince (Wed 26-Oct-16 10:08:22)

Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 26-Oct-16 11:55:41
Print Post

Had a wee chat with the workmen yesterday, they are according to them running cable to every property, well to the property boundary if you like in the town I live in. The full bhuna , so 200Mb service if you want or need it apparently. Quite a considerable cost I should imagine to even just lay cable ? Does this cable hop into BTs exchange at all or completely separate ?

Regards

MrG

Standard User 23Prince
(member) Wed 26-Oct-16 13:11:24
Print Post

As far as I know they have their own network away from BT - I know virgin have their little green boxes and then some big places sort of like exchanges nearby

I am sure Ignition or someone else can explain it much better.
Standard User DrBC
(regular) Wed 26-Oct-16 21:04:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrGrumpy:
Had a wee chat with the workmen yesterday, they are according to them running cable to every property, well to the property boundary if you like in the town I live in. The full bhuna , so 200Mb service if you want or need it apparently. Quite a considerable cost I should imagine to even just lay cable ?

They don't seem to be skimping on the roll-out, despite the high cost involved. VM is expanding into my village and when I checked the Roadworks Scotland site it's a sea of work markers - they appear to be going to dig up every single street.

It's quite a contrast to BT, who took a big wad of tax-payer's money to plunk down a couple of FTTC cabs and then ran off leaving a third of the village stuck on EO lines.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to