User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ironman12345
(regular) Sat 07-Jan-17 00:38:50
Print Post

Re: Virgin Media - worth the hassle?

[re: arronlowley] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by arronlowley:
we had bt before mate, the speed and latency was really good, just that bt are cons, they put added extras onto our package without asking and they werent free.

personally for me, its sky whos the best provider.

I mentioned BT , but what I should have written was that I moved from VM cable that terminated using coaxial lines to OR [BT] that uses copper pairs from the cabinet.
I might be wrong but I think that all ISP`s except for VM use OR lines.?
Does Sky use OR lines ,?, I know that they are also a satellite company using a dish. I have never had any problems with BT but I guess like all ISP`s they are just after the money.smile

Edited by ironman12345 (Sat 07-Jan-17 00:46:12)

Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Sat 07-Jan-17 10:24:03
Print Post

[re: ironman12345] [link to this post]

I would have thought if you were on a broadband forum that you'd understand nearly everyone use Opereach's lines, including Sky.
(regular) Sat 07-Jan-17 17:50:11
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Icaras:
I would have thought if you were on a broadband forum that you'd understand nearly everyone use Opereach's lines, including Sky.

Yes I know that nearly all ISP`s use OR copper lines from the cab ,but was not sure about Sky as they also I think run a satellite dish based system,?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cje85
(newbie) Sat 07-Jan-17 18:02:01
Print Post

Sky TV is delivered via satellite but the internet is entirely through BT Openreach lines.

As for Virgin, a long running utilisation fault in my area was closed in December. On Thursday a new fault was opened as the acceptable thresholds had been breached already after just two weeks.

It appears that once every two years they do the bare minimum to fix a utilisation fault and then have a new fault within weeks.
(regular) Sat 07-Jan-17 18:27:16
Print Post

[re: cje85] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cje85:
Sky TV is delivered via satellite but the internet is entirely through BT Openreach lines.

As for Virgin, a long running utilisation fault in my area was closed in December. On Thursday a new fault was opened as the acceptable thresholds had been breached already after just two weeks.

It appears that once every two years they do the bare minimum to fix a utilisation fault and then have a new fault within weeks.

Thanks cje85 , I guess Sky TV got me there,smile
So VM are shooting themselves in the foot by not updating there fibre optic lines until utilisation is really bad.
If they stopped utilisation before it got serious imo they would be ok , but jitter and lag [latency] might still be a problem.
Standard User christoskelton
(newbie) Mon 09-Jan-17 10:53:23
Print Post

I'm in Area 18 - Exeter and I have no complaints on Virgin's service and speeds.

Using Thinkbroadband's speed test I'm getting 103Mbps and 6.8Mbps
Using Ookla's Speedtest I'm getting 104.98Mbps and 6.24Mbps

Christo Skelton
Virgin Media with Superhub 3
Vivid 100, Area 18 - Exeter, Devon

Edited by christoskelton (Mon 09-Jan-17 10:54:00)

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Jan-17 12:37:35
Print Post

[re: christoskelton] [link to this post]

Can you link us to a thinkbroadband speedtest by any chance?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 09-Jan-17 13:33:46
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

The guess is that it is this one http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User scragglymonk
(knowledge is power) Tue 21-Mar-17 10:48:25
Print Post

[re: christoskelton] [link to this post]

locally see that vm range from 4-5 mb upto 70. not see anyone with 100+

staying with merula and using their phone provider, seems BT have only just noticed I am paying too much when I ask about leaving and have not offered a refund, still more than what i am offered

Windows is now a 64 bit tweak of a 32 bit extension to a 16 bit user interface for an 8 bit operating system based on a 4 bit architecture from a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition. Merula FTTC
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Tue 21-Mar-17 12:39:59
Print Post

[re: scragglymonk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by scragglymonk:
locally see that vm range from 4-5 mb upto 70. not see anyone with 100+

staying with merula and using their phone provider, seems BT have only just noticed I am paying too much when I ask about leaving and have not offered a refund, still more than what i am offered

The whole system I had never got above 100+. It would struggle to give me over 50 on the internet and, according to VM tech support, The Tivo was not getting enough, nor was the SH3. The problem was in the pavement somewhere, and how long was a piece of string.

Business 300 has been removed from the area, but homeworks + is still on the ordering page, oddly enough. I guess they think a consumer can just lump it, but a business not so, and that's why.

So what you say does not surprise me
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to