User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PS123
(learned) Thu 22-Dec-16 19:47:19
Print Post

Virgin Media - worth the hassle?

[link to this post]

Having had 38Mb fibre for a few years (with different ISPs), I've now had my appetite whet by Virgin Media's new broadband only bundles.

I have read many posts on forums about the issues regarding the SuperHub 3 and that a new firmware has been released recently to fix most of the main issues e.g. single threaded performance and rebooting when in modem only mode. Can anyone confirm if the new firmware has indeed fixed these issues?

I'm also worried about the numerous posts regarding drop in speeds during peak hours and would welcome any non-biased opinion from those who live in the Ilford, Essex area.

I did call Virgin Media sales team with the above questions but they had no clue whatsoever and transferred me to the technical department who advised me that they only helped fix customer connection problems but were not trained from a technical standpoint (seriously? so what should they call themselves? The technical non-technical department?)

A few minutes later, a "Customer Service Representative" from the area that I live tried to reassure me that there was no problems with Virgin and gave me the whole marketing spiel and tried his best not to answer my questions directly.

My experience with Virgin Media so far? Sales staff have no clue whatsoever, Technical department seemed clueless and the local Virgin rep sounded like a car salesperson. If, but only if I can get say 100/6 or 200/12 Mbps package that is reliable so that I don't have to call dreaded customer service then I would definitely consider switching.

Appreciate anyone out there who can give me a true and unbiased opinion with their experience of Virgin - good or bad.

Thanks.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Fri 23-Dec-16 01:30:39
Print Post

Re: Virgin Media - worth the hassle?

[re: PS123] [link to this post]

headline speed at 4am - 3mbps or less at 4pm

You make the call.
Standard User blyteee
(newbie) Fri 23-Dec-16 01:59:50
Print Post

Six things that forced my hand in quitting VM forever were:

1. Weekly extended periods of downtime - and the lies told by their CS that everything is OK. I am now with TalkTalk of all people and other than the 5 mins of downtime when OR switched my line to "Fibre", been solid.

2. The very frequent and rather sharp price increases. With TalkTalk, my bill since joining has come down (re-contracting worked for me in this instance)

3. The marketing lies and childish slogans "the magic in our cables". "Fibre Optic" but copper coming into the home. "Widely available", but about 44% coverage etc. Had more ads banned than anyone else. They have been peddling lies about their service ever since they laid the cables and will never stop.

4. Embarrassing upstream speeds that are throttled if you use it "too much". Tell me how can it be "too much" on an unlimited service? Again, the usual lies.

5. Every router/modem they ever sent apart from the Motorola Surfboard had been problematic, either the firmware in the device itself or the way it interacts with their BSRs.

6. The pings and jitter were horrendous. Useless for gaming.

Your first experience of them should sound a loud warning alarm to you about what to expect from them. VM used to put all their best staff on sales - and India on aftercare. Says it all if even their sales are now useless. They've slashed and hacked at their customer service for years and you've experienced the result. Best to just avoid them to be honest unless you really are having serious issues over BT's OR network and there's no alternative.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User biffs
(member) Fri 23-Dec-16 09:27:44
Print Post

Unlike other posters, I have never had a bad experience with VM. Solid and reliable high speed provision since installation five years ago. The brown box on the pavement was smashed by a passing pram or something and was replaced within days of reporting it. I don't understand any of the pings & threads jargon, just that I've never been let down. I'm not in Ilford though.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5904794547

Bill
Standard User kebabselector
(member) Fri 23-Dec-16 09:53:21
Print Post

Virgin's problems are localised (usually) so it might be worth searching on their forums for your Postcode area - or just ask your neighbours. You have a couple of weeks to try it (check when ordering just in case they've changed their T&Cs) - so probably best to run both before you cancel the worse service.

I tried them and wasn't impressed that my 5mb ADSL service could maintain a better stream (on YouTube) than the supplied 50mb service. But we are in a heavily congested area due to lack of Openreach connected Fibre, you maybe be fine.

Current on Zen, getting around 5mb down - .8mb up
Exchange is Fibre enabled, Cab not economically viable to upgrade - though 'Now Exploring Solutions aka we want someone else to pay for it.'
Stechford (CMSTE) Cab 50 - small cabinet of fail
Standard User gmangt4
(learned) Fri 23-Dec-16 09:57:34
Print Post

I could not wait to leave virgin broadband, like the reasons stated, I game a lot on FPS games and the jitter made the games difficult at time (peak time), throttled between 11am and 11pm on an 200mb unlimited package, customer service shocking bad, the most untechnical support staff ever, weekly downtime, what feels like constant price rises, constant lies, congestion was terrible and giving fix dates 12 months away!!! While they continued to sell congested areas. I used the superhub's in modem mode and used my own quality router too. I then while waiting on my VM contract ending I got sky fibre 38mb installed and it was night and day, the sky connection was reliable and always felt quicker than the VM one, I could game during the day!! Yippee!! My think broadband ping graph took a massive step up, on avg about 100ms from about 5pm every weekday and about 11am every weekend until after 11pm every night. Online streaming services buffered lots unless at 3am. I have now moved home again and on a 20/1 ADSL2 connectin and i feel that was better than my VM connections

here's a current example of their reliability http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-40525...
Standard User kebabselector
(member) Fri 23-Dec-16 10:12:02
Print Post

[re: gmangt4] [link to this post]

I was accused of lying by the sales staff when i mentioned the price rises that were announced in the media a week or so after signing up.

Customer services are only interested when you ask to be put through to cancellations team. To be fair to that team they did what I asked (although they did try to offer me 100mb for the same price as 50mb to stay first).

Current on Zen, getting around 5mb down - .8mb up
Exchange is Fibre enabled, Cab not economically viable to upgrade - though hanging on the carrot being dangled - 'There are projects to be initiated in 2017, however, we do not have a particular timescale at this moment.'
Stechford (CMSTE) Cab 50 - small cabinet of fail
Standard User gmangt4
(learned) Fri 23-Dec-16 10:54:38
Print Post

[re: kebabselector] [link to this post]

I got accused of not understanding technology lol and then they hung up me, I'm an electronics engineer lol
I took the 20gb mobile deal, but did not realise that when you go above 3.5gb usage they throttle you back to 384k, edge speed....I was paying for 20gb!! Yes, I know now its in the t&c's but foolishly I thought it would be when over 20gb! Thats the sort of customer regard your getting. VM did also offer me deals to stay but if they say upgrade your 50mb to 100mb, will that magically fix my congested connection? I already had the top tier so its was price cut they offered me.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Fri 23-Dec-16 10:59:07
Print Post

All that said - they do a 28 day money back guarantee so feel free to give them a try. I've had and terminated twice under that agreement so they do honour it - along with getting out for free when they do their 3 times a year price rises.

No - not kidding. They raise the prices a LOT
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Fri 23-Dec-16 11:05:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by gmangt4:
I got accused of not understanding technology lol and then they hung up me, I'm an electronics engineer lol
I took the 20gb mobile deal, but did not realise that when you go above 3.5gb usage they throttle you back to 384k, edge speed....I was paying for 20gb!! Yes, I know now its in the t&c's but foolishly I thought it would be when over 20gb! Thats the sort of customer regard your getting. VM did also offer me deals to stay but if they say upgrade your 50mb to 100mb, will that magically fix my congested connection? I already had the top tier so its was price cut they offered me.

I saw someone say they got told it was unlimited and then the 3.5GB cap kicked in - ouch!. For an MNVO using EE it's shocking. At least with the likes of BT (who I am on right now) you get 20GB at their 30mbps speed - even when you tether you get the same speed. VM Mobile, no such luck. I think they were good when few others were doing unlimited mins/sms but now everyone does it I think they have lost their edge and place in the market. I remember when they used to be really good rates and 10P a call to CS no matter how long it lasted. I also remember visiting them in Trowbridge all those years ago for work, these days, They really gave the personal touch.
Standard User Adduxi
(newbie) Fri 23-Dec-16 11:10:52
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

I can recommend for BB, but then again I'm lucky to get fairly solid speeds.
However, I can recommend you do your homework and as already suggested trawl the VM Community Forums for all faults in your area. VM Customer Service will not offer this information and I doubt if they would know anyway.
Also prices seems to be on the up and up, so much so I'm considering leaving when the last of my kids leave home this summer.
I've been very fortunate to have a Dual Wan with VM / BT for a while for work, and I can't complain about BT either. It's a solid 68/18 so I feel this will be worth keeping in lieu of VM for Broadband.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Fri 23-Dec-16 11:15:17
Print Post

[re: Adduxi] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Adduxi:
I can recommend for BB, but then again I'm lucky to get fairly solid speeds.
However, I can recommend you do your homework and as already suggested trawl the VM Community Forums for all faults in your area. VM Customer Service will not offer this information and I doubt if they would know anyway.
Also prices seems to be on the up and up, so much so I'm considering leaving when the last of my kids leave home this summer.
I've been very fortunate to have a Dual Wan with VM / BT for a while for work, and I can't complain about BT either. It's a solid 68/18 so I feel this will be worth keeping in lieu of VM for Broadband.

Thanks, that should have gone to the OP though.

It appears you are lucky your internet is not down and you have to wait till the 18th Jan for a fix.

Seeing that has made my xmas, Luckily my 2 FTTC lines are doing fine smile
Standard User Eeeps
(learned) Fri 23-Dec-16 11:50:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by PS123:
Having had 38Mb fibre for a few years (with different ISPs), I've now had my appetite whet by Virgin Media's new broadband only bundles.

I have read many posts on forums about the issues regarding the SuperHub 3 and that a new firmware has been released recently to fix most of the main issues e.g. single threaded performance and rebooting when in modem only mode. Can anyone confirm if the new firmware has indeed fixed these issues?

I'm also worried about the numerous posts regarding drop in speeds during peak hours and would welcome any non-biased opinion from those who live in the Ilford, Essex area.

I did call Virgin Media sales team with the above questions but they had no clue whatsoever and transferred me to the technical department who advised me that they only helped fix customer connection problems but were not trained from a technical standpoint (seriously? so what should they call themselves? The technical non-technical department?)

A few minutes later, a "Customer Service Representative" from the area that I live tried to reassure me that there was no problems with Virgin and gave me the whole marketing spiel and tried his best not to answer my questions directly.

My experience with Virgin Media so far? Sales staff have no clue whatsoever, Technical department seemed clueless and the local Virgin rep sounded like a car salesperson. If, but only if I can get say 100/6 or 200/12 Mbps package that is reliable so that I don't have to call dreaded customer service then I would definitely consider switching.

Appreciate anyone out there who can give me a true and unbiased opinion with their experience of Virgin - good or bad.

Thanks.

I'll try to be objective about my VM experience but it is quite difficult.

Until about 2 months ago I was on the Vivid 150 service in the Macclesfield area. I'd been using cable BB for about 15 years and was quite happy until a year ago.

Speeds started to slow and this gradually got worse to the point that streaming began to suffer.

I then noticed the 'single thread download' problem with rates as low as 10Mb/s even during the day. BTW this is not associated with the SH3 (I had a SH2) and have not been fixed.

Best advice is to see if you can borrow a neighbours connection for an hour or so. Run speed tests from here (Thinkbroadband) during the week day and evening if you can. Don't rely on SpeedTest.net since this will mask most congestion issues.
Also do a real world test at 8-9pm, see how long an iPlayer program takes to download in HD.

In reality VM can be quite good but you always have the suspicion that your area may fall to oversubscription at any time.
The problem with VM is it's just too easy to add new customers to a local cable.
But VM don't even think about adding capacity to account for this until the service degrades to such an extent that it's almost unusable.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 23-Dec-16 12:40:44
Print Post

I find my BT Infinity 1 to be a much better connection than my 150Mbps with virginmedia ever was...

I had 150Mbps but at peak times it dropped to such a speed that Netflix would not even play 420P quality, I had single threaded speeds of 1-2Mbps on downloads. Sky Go would not work at peak times and the on demand Sky HD+ download stuff (on the TV) would take around 1 hour before it was available to view.

I had half price for a longtime but eventually switched to TalkTalk, who accidentally placed me on ADSL. Believe me when I say my ADSL with TalkTalk worked better than 150Mbps with virginmedia, I could finally watch Netflix in HD which was not possible on virginmedia. I got my TalkTalk upgraded to 38Mbps and BT Infinity 1 installed and I never looked back.

On Sunday evenings my virginmedia was so dire often images on websites wouldn't load, if you did get onto a YouTube video you would have to refresh the page over and over for it to even play at 144P.

Interestingly virginmedia did not recognise my area as affected enough to consider it congested, instead it was categorised as "high utilisation which is service affecting" which apparently means they just give everyone who complains a discount but it's not bad enough for a fix to be investigated or ever implemented. They let me go as they admitted there was no planned improvement in the area, and even told me usually the high volume users leave in bulk so the service becomes acceptable on its own (I am sure I was one of them users).
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Fri 23-Dec-16 14:20:39
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Interestingly virginmedia did not recognise my area as affected enough to consider it congested, instead it was categorised as "high utilisation which is service affecting" which apparently means they just give everyone who complains a discount but it's not bad enough for a fix to be investigated or ever implemented. They let me go as they admitted there was no planned improvement in the area, and even told me usually the high volume users leave in bulk so the service becomes acceptable on its own (I am sure I was one of them users).

If they are handing out discounts there is a fault reference against the area, meaning it's being investigated and will be upgraded.
Standard User PS123
(learned) Sat 24-Dec-16 08:13:01
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Thank you everyone for your responses.

The dilemma I have is that FTTC is only predicted to reach a a maximum of 46Mbps from the cabinet to my home on a 76Mbps service. This is why the 100Mb and 200Mb options were looking ideal for my needs.

I watch a lot of streaming content, so it's crucial that I am able to obtain a decent d/l speed during peak hours.

I will research a bit more on Virgin's cable speeds in my area before taking the plunge/risk.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Sat 24-Dec-16 08:56:18
Print Post

The dilemma I have is that FTTC is only predicted to reach a a maximum of 46Mbps from the cabinet to my home on a 76Mbps service. This is why the 100Mb and 200Mb options were looking ideal for my needs.

I watch a lot of streaming content, so it's crucial that I am able to obtain a decent d/l speed during peak hours.

I will research a bit more on Virgin's cable speeds in my area before taking the plunge/risk.

Don't forget they do a 28 day money back guarantee where if you dont stay they send you a box to send the router back free - so no real risk

in my view, 46mbps on FTTC would be so much better, especially if as some people say even ADSL kicks it's ass for stability.

It's raw speed vs stability that's the weighup here.
Standard User maniac886
(committed) Sat 24-Dec-16 12:08:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by 23Prince:

Don't forget they do a 28 day money back guarantee where if you dont stay they send you a box to send the router back free - so no real risk

in my view, 46mbps on FTTC would be so much better, especially if as some people say even ADSL kicks it's ass for stability.

It's raw speed vs stability that's the weighup here.

Just an FYI Virgin's moneyback guarantee has been reduced from 28 days to 14 days. Taken from their website:

"Money back guarantee: The 14-day money back guarantee is available for new cable customers and existing cable customers taking a new service. Call us within 14 days of service activation to cancel and we'll refund the first month's charge and any installation charge. You will only be charged for transactions (calls, texts, purchases, service upgrades) occurring after activation. Statutory rights not affected.
DOCSIS: CableLabs is the owner of the DOCSIS 3 trademark".

Origin Broadband
200m to cabinet
66.4MB/s down / 18.04MB/s up

Edited by maniac886 (Sat 24-Dec-16 12:09:07)

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 24-Dec-16 12:45:44
Print Post

I used to have 38Mbps and I could do the following:

1) Netflix ultra HD 4K on two TVs at once, whilst someone else was having a Skype call.
2) Use Sky on demand downstairs, have Netflix ultra HD upstairs, a Skype call and 10 phones connected at all times.
3) Download a torrent and watch Netflix at the same time.

In essence I never noticed a slowdown, the key is to split the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz WiFi bands and use the 5Ghz wherever possible. Certainly any slowdowns are likely to be the wireless rather than the underlying broadband.

I found my 38Mbps far better than my 150Mbps with virginmedia.
That said I'm sure I was just unlucky, but I did try virginmedia twice and was stung twice.
Standard User gmangt4
(learned) Sat 24-Dec-16 14:19:20
Print Post

I have similar experiences with VM, had them 3 times and always the same, can download at full speed but can't watch youtube at lowest quality, iplayer, etc...gaming was impossible at peak times. Anything other than general browsing or facebook, which I don't use was unuseable on my 150mb and 200mb connections at peak times.
With my 38mb VDSL connection I never came across a situation where I felt I needed more bandwidth tbh, I have 28 devices connected to my router (Asus 68u) and stream, make VIOP calls, game, nowtv boxes, skygo, etc and never got issues on any device, I used my own router on virgin too and never suffered the lag spikes that the Superhub suffers from, although my sky hub used to fall over with the amount of devices I have connected so I always use my own router.
I'm on a 20mb ADSL2 connection now for nearly a year until my fibre install on 5th of Jan and tbh its only the upload I miss, as apart from game updates I've never had any slowdowns running the same devices doing the same thing, Even my missus who hardly stresses the connection says I've not to get VM Broadband ever again lol
Standard User PS123
(learned) Sat 24-Dec-16 15:26:01
Print Post

@ukhardy07

That's amazing! I thought Netflix required a minimum 25Mbps stream in order to watch 4K Ultra HD? Therefore to watch two different 4K streams on two TV's, surely you'd need a minimum speed of 50Mbps?

Maybe it's because I currently have the Sky SR102 router, which is reliable but doesn't have the latest tech built in i.e. no 802.11ac or 5 Ghz channel and only has 100Mb ethernet ports.

I did have the BT Home Hub 5a when I was with BT previously but the 5Ghz channel gave me nothing but problems with all of my devices, which is why I switched to Sky.

I think the solution for me now is to stick with FTTC. The BT Infinity 1 Unlimited broadband offer is looking pretty nice. I get their latest router as well, a small increase in download speeds and at least guaranteed minimum connection speeds, something that Virgin can't offer. I would stick with Sky if they bumped up their download speeds.

That's it! Mind made up now. Sticking with FTTC and will look into Virgin again in 12 month's time.

Happy Christmas/holidays everyone!

Edited by PS123 (Sat 24-Dec-16 15:26:59)

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 24-Dec-16 17:54:41
Print Post

Homehub 5A has issues with 5Ghz, well it did back on the old firmwares.

Sky Hub is a bad device over wireless so I would not recommend.

When you get your homehub 6 (aka smarthub) please split the bands and connect to the one with a -5 wherever possible. Also disable the smart setup.

Netflix ultra HD hovers around 15Mbps in my home and was fine running two at once on BT before it was 55Mbps. I synced at 40,000Kbps.

Oh I didn't mention gaming on virginmedia was a joke.

One good thing to say about VM is the customer service was brilliant and I have nothing but positive things to say about call waiting times and staff working there.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sat 24-Dec-16 17:55:48)

Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Sat 24-Dec-16 19:06:53
Print Post

[re: maniac886] [link to this post]

Thank you Maniac,

@PS123 - I am sure that's a decision you will not come to regret.

@UKHardy, Aye, I have to admit the few times I spoke to them they were good. I saw the other side in retentions but even then everyone was cool.

The service is a joke, the staff who do their best to work with said joke, not so at all.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 02-Jan-17 12:31:09
Print Post

I have mixed views of VM, I dont think they are a outright disaster but it is a risky move.

When you are not suffering noticeable congestion then the service is decent.

Benefits I would say are.

Guaranteed connection speed - it either connects at the package speed or does not connect at all. No distance and line quality bullcrap.
Exit points of their network nationwide so e.g. connecting to steam manchester servers should not need to go to london first.
No DLM type profiles, so not having to deal with things like excessive interleaving delay.
They hand out discounts really easily if there is problems, if you the sort of person who is fine with a cheap service even if problematic then this can be a good thing.
The CPE supports modem mode, VM is probably the only UK provider who recognises that there is a benefit for a modem mode on their equipment. Funny enough I pride myself on getting modem mode added, as it all started when I mentioned it to a senior VM CS bod on his blog several years ago.
If they need to send out an engineer, it comes quickly and is no threat of fee's.
Phone line's are in my experience much better quality than openreach, but my experience is based on having a long copper length to exchange.
Services are typically completely unaffected by the weather unlike satellite and DSL.
They have try before you commit policy.

Downsides

VM have problematic areas, the amount of areas 'seems' to have increased following their vivid product launches, history tends to show once the area has capacity problems in tends to be long term with possible short bursts of time with good service. Fix dates are frequently months away and when they do arrive get pushed back more often than not, if a fix is applied it is often not good enough.
They continue to sell to areas that are even confirmed as saturated by their own network team, which is one of the reasons people dont have respect for VM over this issue. I dont mean just accepting orders, but I mean carrying out aggressive sales tactics like leaflets through doors.
They allow people to upgrade early to new products before any infrastructure changes have occurred and even in saturated areas.
India tech support.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User Sheza
(newbie) Mon 02-Jan-17 13:36:15
Print Post

A lot of good comments from people already.

So my simple conclusion for you is this: If you live in a magical under-saturated area, you'll have a great time of it. If you live in an over-saturated area, prepare to pull your hair out trying to get it resolved.

Regarding the former scenario, the issues you might experience are the nonchalant attitude to Superhub etc problems - they just don't seem to communicate to customers (often things the customers have already worked out amongst themselves).

Regarding the latter, Virgin are quite frankly despicable. I do wonder why Ofcom have not acted more firmly against them. They have the cheek to continue to sell services to new customers on the very same street where you may experience speeds as low as 250Kbps (and pings in excess of 1000ms) at peak times. The people on the phone and in the shop tell you a 'fix date', when that comes and goes the people on the forum push it back and call it a 'review date'. So basically, they're fine about lying to you.

I had a completely different view of Virgin before I moved temporarily from a wonderland of always-200Mbps-speeds to the horribly congested, disgusting speed city of Norwich.
Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Mon 02-Jan-17 15:21:39
Print Post

[re: Sheza] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Sheza:
So my simple conclusion for you is this: If you live in a magical under-saturated area, you'll have a great time of it. If you live in an over-saturated area, prepare to pull your hair out trying to get it resolved.

Regarding the former scenario, the issues you might experience are the nonchalant attitude to Superhub etc problems - they just don't seem to communicate to customers (often things the customers have already worked out amongst themselves).

It's not magical, I think most people are likely OK, after all, they topped the speed tests on this site from any major provider, and even the bottom 10% got 8.9mbit (which, is slow, but not the "250kbps" people talk about).

If 90% of people are over 8.9mbit, I think it's worth a shot myself.

It's not likely to be the whole of norwich that has issues even - probably just your cable segment, which might only be 10 houses.

I'm in Ipswich, I have no issues on 300mbit. I believe my routing goes via Norwich.

The Intel chipset in the SH3 has some issues with Jitter, that are acknowledged and Intel are working on. Personally, despite being a heavy user of everything from Newsgroups, Torrents, Online gaming, Video streaming, and VoIP, I have never noticed any impact whatsoever from this.
Standard User arronlowley
(newbie) Wed 04-Jan-17 18:33:40
Print Post

im on vms 300/20 package, was amazing until the 19th of december where from 12pm-2am, my download speed was all over, sometimes 30% or less of the usual 300.

i knew straight away it was because the kids were off, now theyre back at school the issue arises between 5pm-12am, so now i will not recommend vm.

the latency on vm is appaling too because of the modem 3.0 they supply, it has a dodgy chipset which virgin have failed to accept in almost a year.

so no, i will not recommend vm, and my contract is out on the 11th, bye bye.

bt provided me 75/20 with an average ping of 12ms, slower speed but latency better by far.

Edited by arronlowley (Wed 04-Jan-17 18:33:55)

Standard User PS123
(learned) Fri 06-Jan-17 14:00:30
Print Post

[re: arronlowley] [link to this post]

@arronlowley:

I'm sure you won't regret it.

It was a hard decision in the fact that 100/6, 200/12 or even 300/20 (Homeworks+ package) were so tempting considering the speeds far outpace VDSL at 76Mbps.

@everyone

Thanks everyone for the additional comments after my last post. I've switched to BT, connection date 9 February. Hope it goes smoothly as I had a bad experience the last time round with them!
Standard User ironman12345
(regular) Fri 06-Jan-17 18:27:44
Print Post

I left VM about 3 years ago because at that time I ran an online racing server for global drivers and at most races I had to restart the server and race due to the bad stability of the server.
The upload speed of my server was fine , but it was not smooth enough for online use , there was too much lag and jitter.
Moved to BT and my problems were solved , so if you want to use the connection for online gaming my advice is don`t move to VM.
BTW I live in Hertfordshire where VM laid cable in about 2002.

Edited by ironman12345 (Fri 06-Jan-17 18:38:11)

Standard User arronlowley
(newbie) Fri 06-Jan-17 19:39:27
Print Post

we had bt before mate, the speed and latency was really good, just that bt are cons, they put added extras onto our package without asking and they werent free.

personally for me, its sky whos the best provider.

Edited by arronlowley (Fri 06-Jan-17 19:39:51)

(regular) Sat 07-Jan-17 00:38:50
Print Post

[re: arronlowley] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by arronlowley:
we had bt before mate, the speed and latency was really good, just that bt are cons, they put added extras onto our package without asking and they werent free.

personally for me, its sky whos the best provider.

I mentioned BT , but what I should have written was that I moved from VM cable that terminated using coaxial lines to OR [BT] that uses copper pairs from the cabinet.
I might be wrong but I think that all ISP`s except for VM use OR lines.?
Does Sky use OR lines ,?, I know that they are also a satellite company using a dish. I have never had any problems with BT but I guess like all ISP`s they are just after the money.smile

Edited by ironman12345 (Sat 07-Jan-17 00:46:12)

Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Sat 07-Jan-17 10:24:03
Print Post

[re: ironman12345] [link to this post]

I would have thought if you were on a broadband forum that you'd understand nearly everyone use Opereach's lines, including Sky.
(regular) Sat 07-Jan-17 17:50:11
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Icaras:
I would have thought if you were on a broadband forum that you'd understand nearly everyone use Opereach's lines, including Sky.

Yes I know that nearly all ISP`s use OR copper lines from the cab ,but was not sure about Sky as they also I think run a satellite dish based system,?
Standard User cje85
(newbie) Sat 07-Jan-17 18:02:01
Print Post

Sky TV is delivered via satellite but the internet is entirely through BT Openreach lines.

As for Virgin, a long running utilisation fault in my area was closed in December. On Thursday a new fault was opened as the acceptable thresholds had been breached already after just two weeks.

It appears that once every two years they do the bare minimum to fix a utilisation fault and then have a new fault within weeks.
(regular) Sat 07-Jan-17 18:27:16
Print Post

[re: cje85] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cje85:
Sky TV is delivered via satellite but the internet is entirely through BT Openreach lines.

As for Virgin, a long running utilisation fault in my area was closed in December. On Thursday a new fault was opened as the acceptable thresholds had been breached already after just two weeks.

It appears that once every two years they do the bare minimum to fix a utilisation fault and then have a new fault within weeks.

Thanks cje85 , I guess Sky TV got me there,smile
So VM are shooting themselves in the foot by not updating there fibre optic lines until utilisation is really bad.
If they stopped utilisation before it got serious imo they would be ok , but jitter and lag [latency] might still be a problem.
Standard User christoskelton
(newbie) Mon 09-Jan-17 10:53:23
Print Post

I'm in Area 18 - Exeter and I have no complaints on Virgin's service and speeds.

Using Thinkbroadband's speed test I'm getting 103Mbps and 6.8Mbps
Using Ookla's Speedtest I'm getting 104.98Mbps and 6.24Mbps

Christo Skelton
Virgin Media with Superhub 3
Vivid 100, Area 18 - Exeter, Devon

Edited by christoskelton (Mon 09-Jan-17 10:54:00)

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Jan-17 12:37:35
Print Post

[re: christoskelton] [link to this post]

Can you link us to a thinkbroadband speedtest by any chance?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 09-Jan-17 13:33:46
Print Post

The guess is that it is this one http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User scragglymonk
(knowledge is power) Tue 21-Mar-17 10:48:25
Print Post

[re: christoskelton] [link to this post]

locally see that vm range from 4-5 mb upto 70. not see anyone with 100+

staying with merula and using their phone provider, seems BT have only just noticed I am paying too much when I ask about leaving and have not offered a refund, still more than what i am offered

Windows is now a 64 bit tweak of a 32 bit extension to a 16 bit user interface for an 8 bit operating system based on a 4 bit architecture from a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition. Merula FTTC
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Tue 21-Mar-17 12:39:59
Print Post

[re: scragglymonk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by scragglymonk:
locally see that vm range from 4-5 mb upto 70. not see anyone with 100+

staying with merula and using their phone provider, seems BT have only just noticed I am paying too much when I ask about leaving and have not offered a refund, still more than what i am offered

The whole system I had never got above 100+. It would struggle to give me over 50 on the internet and, according to VM tech support, The Tivo was not getting enough, nor was the SH3. The problem was in the pavement somewhere, and how long was a piece of string.

Business 300 has been removed from the area, but homeworks + is still on the ordering page, oddly enough. I guess they think a consumer can just lump it, but a business not so, and that's why.

So what you say does not surprise me
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 21-Mar-17 13:52:16
Print Post

my street was only cabled about 2 months ago, originally when cabeltel dug in Derry, my street was listed as private, but they came back and infilled.

switched from bt to virgin and have had no problems, constantly getting full speeds, pings are a bit higher but im only paying 29 a month, for 50Mb, weekend phone line and freeview tivo.

bt wanted around 50 a month just for 76/19

northern ireland overall has no issues with over utilization.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Tue 21-Mar-17 19:02:06
Print Post

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

I was approached today by a sales rep, never laughed so much in my life, I told him "when you can give me ACTUAL speeds above BT, and not up to advertising carp THEN and only then will I entertain you again

He was pretty much speechless
Standard User Yves
(knowledge is power) Wed 22-Mar-17 09:17:38
Print Post

I am getting just above the advertised speed of 150/10. I've been on VM for 4 years.
Standard User fishpan
(newbie) Wed 22-Mar-17 11:14:06
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

IMO depending on how bad the congestion effect is, it might be better to avoid taking the discount and get out of the contract without termination fees.

Of course the CS will try and not give you an easy exit but should be easier if one obtains a fault reference from the forum team (who are more helpful).

I left after 3 months personally as my 200/20 "Gamer" service struggled at peak times to even hit 10/2 with pings regularly shooting above 300ms+. Needless to say I enjoy seeing the difference between my BQM with Virgin and my new FTTC ISP.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Wed 22-Mar-17 14:06:52
Print Post

[re: Yves] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Yves:
I am getting just above the advertised speed of 150/10. I've been on VM for 4 years.

It's not bad in all areas, although VM don't do 150 they do 50/100/200/300 in some areas. If you are on the 152 you should be on 200 now
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to