User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 05-Feb-17 17:43:01
Print Post

Re: Sister asked me a question about the Superhub..

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
If you need to record 5 different things while watching a sixth you probably need to re-evaluate your life, as TV is far too large a part of it.

I would agree, but I know a family of 6 whom all have very different tastes, so record things in prime hours, and watch during day/evening. They have Sky Q so have mini boxes in other parts of the home - something Virgin's TV 6 doesn't yet do. (maybe the tablet app is the equivalent).

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 - Sync as of 7th Aug 16: 55,355/10,291 kbps with G.INP
17 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial -Router: Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Sun 05-Feb-17 18:02:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
It says that you can have 2 boxes and record 12 shows, that's possibly a bit insane unless you have a really really large family.

It is of course ridiculous but for some reason number of tuners has become an e-peen measurement for set tops.

If you need to record 5 different things while watching a sixth you probably need to re-evaluate your life, as TV is far too large a part of it.

Agreed, She would need to record 2 I think. She works in the Police so her only sort of downtime is catching up on her TV. Personally I'd need 3 maybe 4 as I'd go legal and get everything through VM and not stream from IPTV sites. Kids stuff and the wife loves all the shows on MTV. so that would be 2 taken right away.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Wed 08-Feb-17 11:07:19
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Thanks for the help all. The engineer explained it to me and as I understand it - the superhub now has 2 sections to it - one for the Tivo feed and one for the internet feed, rather than the Tivo having it's own connection built into it.

The tivo, my god it's fast. Making me re considering it for TV again

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Wed 08-Feb-17 12:05:05
Print Post

Yes. More technically:

Service flows are the fundamental units in DOCSIS 1.1 for QoS provisioning. DOCSIS 1.1 allows multiple service flows per cable modem. This means that different types of traffic, such as data, voice, and video, can be separately identified on the same cable modem. This separate identity provides specialized QoS treatment as per traffic needs.

Standard data has a service flow, the VoIP service another that guarantees 64k on demand, the video another that'll have a higher priority than the standard data one, but lower than voice. They all use the one big pool of bandwidth, but for all other purposes are completely separate. It's basically like having three cable modems in the same box.
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Wed 08-Feb-17 12:36:16
Print Post

Yes. More technically:

Service flows are the fundamental units in DOCSIS 1.1 for QoS provisioning. DOCSIS 1.1 allows multiple service flows per cable modem. This means that different types of traffic, such as data, voice, and video, can be separately identified on the same cable modem. This separate identity provides specialized QoS treatment as per traffic needs.

Standard data has a service flow, the VoIP service another that guarantees 64k on demand, the video another that'll have a higher priority than the standard data one, but lower than voice. They all use the one big pool of bandwidth, but for all other purposes are completely separate. It's basically like having three cable modems in the same box.

Which means should the SH die for any reason, the whole system is crippled. And when you think of it like that the old system was probably better, however I've been playing with the Tivo for a few hours Very very impressed with it.

The broadband, meh, it's slower than her BT- but at least the TV Player app she uses for a few things she does not get on Virgin on the full house bundle (baby tv etc) does not buffer. Of course she could just get it on Virgin, it's the same price.

I also assume the V6 is faster because the old connection in previous models slowed the interface and stuff down?

Edited by 23Prince (Wed 08-Feb-17 12:38:51)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Feb-17 19:57:30
Print Post

So I guess the question is can you speed up the old Tivo box (not TV6) by plugging it into the Superhub? And if you have the superhub in modem mode and several floors between the two, does that affect it?

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 - Sync as of 5th Feb 17: 57,821/9,173 kbps with G.INP
18 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial -Router: Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM
Standard User 23Prince
(experienced) Wed 08-Feb-17 21:38:57
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
So I guess the question is can you speed up the old Tivo box (not TV6) by plugging it into the Superhub? And if you have the superhub in modem mode and several floors between the two, does that affect it?

I was wondering if the od box was slowed down by having it's own connection.

In any case, the V6 is very very fast, it's about time they got it right -and that they have I believe
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Wed 08-Feb-17 22:37:44
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:

No. The restriction on the old TiVo is due to ancient hardware in terms of CPU and RAM.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Feb-17 21:09:34
Print Post

No. The restriction on the old TiVo is due to ancient hardware in terms of CPU and RAM.

Makes sense, thanks.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 since 2 Jun 14 - Sync as of 5th Feb 17: 57,821/9,173 kbps with G.INP
18 years of UK broadband since 1999 ntl:cable modem trial -Router: Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM
Standard User dragon2611
(experienced) Fri 10-Feb-17 12:28:28
Print Post

The set top does not impinge on the broadband service, much the same as the VoIP service doesn't, though they do both connect through the Superhub.

How does this work if you want to run the SH3 in modem mode, does the Tivo still connect directly to the SH3?

Edit: Also does netflix on the V6 come from the internet queue/profile or the TV one then (If as you say it's separate)

AAISP HOME:1T FTTC

Edited by dragon2611 (Fri 10-Feb-17 12:39:11)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to