User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 18-Mar-18 20:29:09
Print Post

Re: VM blocking Netflix?

[re: Saltank] [link to this post]

To add some input, port 443 is the port used to securely transmit almost all data online. It by default is encrypted, so there are no packets going through unencrypted.

The statement "It didn't seem like all packets over 443 were being blocked, just the encrypted ones" cannot be true therefore, as if it's not encrypted it will go via a different port e.g. port 80. What Netflix have convinced you of here does not seem accurate.

If we go back to basics, if you connect just one device (ideally a phone or iPad type device that is less likely to have any kind of malware), and disconnect everything else, does Netflix still not work?

You got any custom DNS, malware protection, firewalls, edited any router settings beyond factory settings?

Here is the most likely answer:
1. Virginmedia is not blocking netflix - imagine the uproar if every customer could not use it.
2. Virginmedia is not blocking port 443 - port 443 is used by many things, netflix, online banking, instagram, facebook, twitter, snapchat, dropbox etc - if we assume they are blocking port 443 we are to believe virginmedia users can basically not use their internet. Again imagine the uproar.

I think time to go back to the drawing board on this one. To rule out the machine, can you set a phone up as a hotspot and confirm it works fine via that? ie outside the virginmedia network.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sun 18-Mar-18 20:29:55)

Standard User mking90031
(newbie) Sun 18-Mar-18 21:34:26
Print Post

Hi,

Have you tried to set the DNS Server IP address of the network card to Google's DNS? This would override to DNS Server IP address received from the Superhub 3.0ac.

HTH,

Standard User Saltank
(committed) Mon 19-Mar-18 22:59:58
Print Post

[re: mking90031] [link to this post]

Yes, as one of the troubleshooting steps this is what I've tried on multiple devices. Can't change the DNS on the SH3 though.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Saltank
(committed) Tue 20-Mar-18 18:54:47
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
To add some input, port 443 is the port used to securely transmit almost all data online. It by default is encrypted, so there are no packets going through unencrypted.

The statement "It didn't seem like all packets over 443 were being blocked, just the encrypted ones" cannot be true therefore, as if it's not encrypted it will go via a different port e.g. port 80. What Netflix have convinced you of here does not seem accurate.

If we go back to basics, if you connect just one device (ideally a phone or iPad type device that is less likely to have any kind of malware), and disconnect everything else, does Netflix still not work?

You got any custom DNS, malware protection, firewalls, edited any router settings beyond factory settings?

Here is the most likely answer:
1. Virginmedia is not blocking netflix - imagine the uproar if every customer could not use it.
2. Virginmedia is not blocking port 443 - port 443 is used by many things, netflix, online banking, instagram, facebook, twitter, snapchat, dropbox etc - if we assume they are blocking port 443 we are to believe virginmedia users can basically not use their internet. Again imagine the uproar.

I think time to go back to the drawing board on this one. To rule out the machine, can you set a phone up as a hotspot and confirm it works fine via that? ie outside the virginmedia network.

It is 100% the SH3 as my Netflix works everywhere else (LTE or WiFi). It's not the machine, but the modem/router itself, as Netflix on multiple devices doesn't work through it. I've tried 4 different methods of accessing the service to no avail.

Standard User robertcrowther
(committed) Tue 20-Mar-18 19:08:35
Print Post

It sounds to me like your IP address has been blocked. Netflix is unique in the way that it has it's data at the ISP level. This means when you access Netflix, you are not actually getting data from Netflix's servers, but instead you are using servers that the ISP (VM in your case) has set aside for Netflix.

It might be an idea to contact VM and ask them for a new IP address and see what difference that makes (I'm pretty sure that will cure it).
Standard User kitfit1
(newbie) Tue 20-Mar-18 22:14:56
Print Post

[re: robertcrowther] [link to this post]

I know this might seem very odd, but could this simply be down to the Mac address of the device you are trying to use ?
Saying this because i have a TV that was linked to Netflix and for a couple of months i subscribed. That TV's Netflix app won't let me look at Netflix now unless i re-subscribe. I also have a 4k bluray player that has never been connected to Netflix. Just signed up to Netflix on that player for the months free trial. Obviously it's still the same IP as the tv, the only difference is the Mac address of the device.
As the app itself is installed on a device by device basis, could that be the real issue here ?
(committed) Tue 20-Mar-18 22:58:25
Print Post

[re: kitfit1] [link to this post]

As it's effecting all of their devices connected to their VM connection, it would not be the Mac address that is blocking Netflix (Mac addresses are unique to each device).
Standard User Saltank
(committed) Thu 22-Mar-18 21:13:47
Print Post

[re: robertcrowther] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by robertcrowther:
It sounds to me like your IP address has been blocked. Netflix is unique in the way that it has it's data at the ISP level. This means when you access Netflix, you are not actually getting data from Netflix's servers, but instead you are using servers that the ISP (VM in your case) has set aside for Netflix.

It might be an idea to contact VM and ask them for a new IP address and see what difference that makes (I'm pretty sure that will cure it).

I've tried two times now and they say they can't because it's "dynamic" but I guess that's as much as the tech support in India can do. have yet to call them back and ask to elevate the ticket.

(committed) Thu 22-Mar-18 21:29:26
Print Post

If you've got a VM shop near you (not one of those kiosk's they have in shopping centres) they will be able to do it for you.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to