User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 23-Jan-18 15:40:46
Print Post

Re: Wireless issues on 5GHz with SH3

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

Router swapped yes?
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 23-Jan-18 16:40:38
Print Post

If he thinks VM runs on Masts - he needs to be re trained laugh
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 23-Jan-18 17:25:53
Print Post

Mast?

5GHz Wi-Fi does not generally end up sharing bandwidth with commercial mast based broadband services, often called mobile. None of the mobile providers have bandwidth in the 5GHz band, it is possible you have someone doing some point to point transmission using the 5GHz band, but if that's the issue Wi-Fi scanner apps should show this up as a network.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 23-Jan-18 17:43:00
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
OH well, might look a mess but mine that looks a lot more steady is now full of packet loss thanks to Virgin's half arsed upstream congestion fix...

Bet your modem isn't losing its comms with upstream channels and being forced into a bottleneck of basic channels.

What was this 'half arsed' upstream congestion fix? 2 -> 4 channels? Modulation order increase?
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 23-Jan-18 17:56:51
Print Post

I live next to a police station, they've a huge mast with all sort of radio equipment on it, but its always been there. its about 100m away...

and never caused issues before. i think it was a bail out

Edited by BuckleZ (Tue 23-Jan-18 17:58:34)

Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 23-Jan-18 17:57:47
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

nope didn't swap the router, gave us his number to monitor as he tested levels and 1 was borderline, but i'l give it a week to see, ive had no issues since i rang and reported it funny enough

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 23-Jan-18 18:01:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by BuckleZ:
I live next to a police station, they've a huge mast with all sort of radio equipment on it, but its always been there. its about 100m away...

and never caused issues before. i think it was a bail out

So there may be some ingress into the VM network causing problems.

http://static.ofcom.org.uk/static/spectrum/fat.html

Seach in that for 18 - 65MHz, plenty of scope for signals to get into the VM network and cause upstream problems. Difficult to track the issues down.

As far as wireless issues go the first thing I did with my VM CPE was switch the wireless off, the second was to put them into modem mode.
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 23-Jan-18 18:26:02
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

I've had no issues since getting them nearly a year ago though, but I'll test it for a week, if the issue doesn't arise again, I'll let it go, but the engineer kindly left his number to call anytime we've an issue.

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Wed 24-Jan-18 19:35:18
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
OH well, might look a mess but mine that looks a lot more steady is now full of packet loss thanks to Virgin's half arsed upstream congestion fix...

Bet your modem isn't losing its comms with upstream channels and being forced into a bottleneck of basic channels.

What was this 'half arsed' upstream congestion fix? 2 -> 4 channels? Modulation order increase?

They attempted the upstream channels upgrades which where previously said impossible due to lack of capability at headend kit covering my area and long behold it hasn't worked.

However there has since developed an SNR issue, so work on upstream has been halted.

Dum Di Dum Di Dum Di Dum
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 14-Feb-18 18:01:51
Print Post

Im still waiting a new router, i emailed the CEO and check my BQM...

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

What could they have done to remove the jitter?? i always had bad jitter? new firmware?? I'm away from home so i can't see until Friday, it's very strange! the router hasn't changed or IP... i guess they put the firewall back on during their playing around

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to