User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 14-Jan-18 22:18:17
Print Post

Wireless issues on 5GHz with SH3

[link to this post]

I've had little or no problem until i moved onto the higher package (probably a coincidence) but lately my wi-fi has been terrible.

I don't lose connection but websites time out, i can't ping out, i'm basically showing connected but the wi-fi has stalled.

I've the 2 networks split, the same issue doesn't seem to happen on the 2.4GHz, but both were always fine.

I've hard reset the router, i've tried different channels for the 5GHz but still, it's intermittent. Even changed the DNS on the 2 macbook pro it affects, funny enough my firestick playing iplayer is fine if it's not live, if its live it skips and stalls.

I'm just about to ready to call and get it replaced, does the 2ac hub work with the top teir package?

Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 16-Jan-18 21:06:20
Print Post

Re: Wireless issues on 5GHz with SH3

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

so now using 2.4GHz for a day or so, its happening on this too, a quick fix is to disable wifi and reconnect.

it comes back on at full speed.

does this sound like a faulty SH3?

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 16-Jan-18 23:23:52
Print Post

My faulty Sky Q Hub did this! 100% sounds faulty to me, get it swapped out. I had a SH3 with no WiFi issues on 20+ devices, I'm sure the new one will be fine.

Me personally I do not recommend the SH2AC, it has an issue where the connection drops approx every 5 days, bothered me as a perfectionist. Most do not notice.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 17-Jan-18 11:15:22
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Thanks!

Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 17-Jan-18 19:09:17
Print Post

Just an update, 5min call to VM, Very helpful guy, organised an engineer to come out with a new router on Monday.

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Jan-18 21:30:56
Print Post

Not being funny but... be interesting to see your BQM after the switch also, I had a hub 3 for a while and it didn't look as cr.. as yours does currently.

As far as wireless issue, yes faulty wireless, happened to me on a BT hub and an Asus router.

Dum Di Dum Di Dum Di Dum
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 17-Jan-18 21:37:24
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

My BQM fluctuates somedays the spikes arent as bad, its random.. it probably is the worst out of all the jitter on the SH3, hopefully the replacement performs a bit better

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Jan-18 21:42:18
Print Post

OH well, might look a mess but mine that looks a lot more steady is now full of packet loss thanks to Virgin's half arsed upstream congestion fix...

Bet your modem isn't losing its comms with upstream channels and being forced into a bottleneck of basic channels.

Dum Di Dum Di Dum Di Dum
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 23-Jan-18 14:55:23
Print Post

The engineer came, he done a speed test and got 390Mb, he was shocked as to how, he actually rang 2 people to find out how/why. (I wasn't in)

He said he had been down the street with the same sort of issue and blames a mast near by, the mast has always been there. ive been here 17 years, and never had na issue, but we've his mobile number if it starts up again.

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Tue 23-Jan-18 15:01:49
Print Post

Mast??

Dum Di Dum Di Dum Di Dum
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 23-Jan-18 15:40:46
Print Post

Router swapped yes?
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 23-Jan-18 16:40:38
Print Post

If he thinks VM runs on Masts - he needs to be re trained laugh
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 23-Jan-18 17:25:53
Print Post

Mast?

5GHz Wi-Fi does not generally end up sharing bandwidth with commercial mast based broadband services, often called mobile. None of the mobile providers have bandwidth in the 5GHz band, it is possible you have someone doing some point to point transmission using the 5GHz band, but if that's the issue Wi-Fi scanner apps should show this up as a network.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 23-Jan-18 17:43:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
OH well, might look a mess but mine that looks a lot more steady is now full of packet loss thanks to Virgin's half arsed upstream congestion fix...

Bet your modem isn't losing its comms with upstream channels and being forced into a bottleneck of basic channels.

What was this 'half arsed' upstream congestion fix? 2 -> 4 channels? Modulation order increase?
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 23-Jan-18 17:56:51
Print Post

I live next to a police station, they've a huge mast with all sort of radio equipment on it, but its always been there. its about 100m away...

and never caused issues before. i think it was a bail out

Edited by BuckleZ (Tue 23-Jan-18 17:58:34)

Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 23-Jan-18 17:57:47
Print Post

nope didn't swap the router, gave us his number to monitor as he tested levels and 1 was borderline, but i'l give it a week to see, ive had no issues since i rang and reported it funny enough

(knowledge is power) Tue 23-Jan-18 18:01:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by BuckleZ:
I live next to a police station, they've a huge mast with all sort of radio equipment on it, but its always been there. its about 100m away...

and never caused issues before. i think it was a bail out

So there may be some ingress into the VM network causing problems.

http://static.ofcom.org.uk/static/spectrum/fat.html

Seach in that for 18 - 65MHz, plenty of scope for signals to get into the VM network and cause upstream problems. Difficult to track the issues down.

As far as wireless issues go the first thing I did with my VM CPE was switch the wireless off, the second was to put them into modem mode.
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 23-Jan-18 18:26:02
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

I've had no issues since getting them nearly a year ago though, but I'll test it for a week, if the issue doesn't arise again, I'll let it go, but the engineer kindly left his number to call anytime we've an issue.

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Wed 24-Jan-18 19:35:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:

What was this 'half arsed' upstream congestion fix? 2 -> 4 channels? Modulation order increase?

They attempted the upstream channels upgrades which where previously said impossible due to lack of capability at headend kit covering my area and long behold it hasn't worked.

However there has since developed an SNR issue, so work on upstream has been halted.

Dum Di Dum Di Dum Di Dum
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 14-Feb-18 18:01:51
Print Post

Im still waiting a new router, i emailed the CEO and check my BQM...

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

What could they have done to remove the jitter?? i always had bad jitter? new firmware?? I'm away from home so i can't see until Friday, it's very strange! the router hasn't changed or IP... i guess they put the firewall back on during their playing around

Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 14-Feb-18 18:37:37
Print Post

Got a family member to check... Firmware: 9.1.116.603

Is this an update??

Standard User cje85
(newbie) Wed 14-Feb-18 19:46:27
Print Post

Yes, they have started rolling it out this week. Early feedback on the VM forum shows good results on the Puma 6 test (http://www.dslreports.com/tools/puma6), better than the BETA firmware they rolled out to some users last October.

Your minimum latency looks quite high for VM.
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Wed 14-Feb-18 23:01:57
Print Post

Hmm, maybe there's some hope for this hub after all... just await the update now.

Dum Di Dum Di Dum Di Dum
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 14-Feb-18 23:33:56
Print Post

[re: cje85] [link to this post]

Im in north west of northern ireland, so it will be high, but the jitter is seriously reduced

Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Thu 15-Feb-18 06:51:25
Print Post

Hmm, maybe there's some hope for this hub after all... just await the update now.

Update rolled out to myself at 2am this morning. Jitter significantly reduced on all BQM sites I use. Connection feels a lot smoother white gaming.
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Thu 15-Feb-18 07:23:46
Print Post

[re: Bryer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Bryer:

Update rolled out to myself at 2am this morning. Jitter significantly reduced on all BQM sites I use. Connection feels a lot smoother white gaming.

I've had the update, but for some reason around the time I triggered the update (by rebooting hub) some major packet loss issue started on my BQM but I think it's isolated to the route with TBB as one I run on f8lure is showing ok.

Nice to see a much more reduced jitter, however that's not going to matter soon as congestion taking plague on the network and virgin have said that it's fixed.

So just a game of waiting I suppose.

Dum Di Dum Di Dum Di Dum
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Thu 15-Feb-18 08:01:24
Print Post

So the SNR issue was apparently fixed, but nothing changed this end, virgin technician was obviously not arsed with doing a good job when he came to check connection, just wanted to add an attenuator and replace my trusty SH2ac with a JunkHub3...

Word from Virgin is they have fixed the utilisation issue on upstream, I disagree of course and can confirm they aren't upgrading us to more than 2 channels....

So invested in a new router, put hub 3 in modem mode and now the hunt for a new place to live includes ensuring there's a decent selection on openreach services.

Dum Di Dum Di Dum Di Dum
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 15-Feb-18 17:13:43
Print Post

Can anyone confirm if there is any improvement with the wifi?

(knowledge is power) Thu 15-Feb-18 17:51:45
Print Post

Heh. Placebo effect is strong.
Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Thu 15-Feb-18 17:55:33
Print Post

Heh. Placebo effect is strong.

Do you ever have anything nice or constructive to say in this Virgin Media forum? My ping has dropped from the mid 20s to the low 10s now! Hence I notice a difference.
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Fri 16-Feb-18 17:41:03
Print Post

20 seconds to 10 seconds would make a difference but 20ms to 10 ms would be hard to see.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
(knowledge is power) Sat 17-Feb-18 18:14:10
Print Post

Do you ever have anything nice or constructive to say in this Virgin Media forum? My ping has dropped from the mid 20s to the low 10s now! Hence I notice a difference.

I have things nice to say when circumstances merit it. I say plenty that's constructive.

Now onto the topic in hand: it's not a fix at all. It changes how the modem handles BQM traffic to make BQMs look nicer, it doesn't change how it handles the actual gaming traffic. The periodic jump about every 2 seconds in actual traffic persists.

Still if you think you can notice a difference in gaming because 'all BQM sites' you use look better and pings reported have dropped 1/100th of a second that's all good.
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 20-Feb-18 18:07:52
Print Post

Got my router replaced today, the old one would struggle to even give me good speeds next to it...

https://imgur.com/a/kFjpO

Constantly getting full speeds over Wi-Fi at the moment when in the same room or close to the router.

Fingers crossed the stalling issue doesn't come back either

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-Feb-18 20:00:29
Print Post

The first question that springs to mind from the screeny, what's happening on the TOR browser to require anonymity? laugh

Glad it's fixed.
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 20-Feb-18 20:36:32
Print Post

The fact its used to be anonymous answers your question, also the fact you know the logo for TOR means you know a bit about it wink lol

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-Feb-18 21:03:52
Print Post

Cybersecurity professional here... Where TOR is used on a home-based ISP it may raise a flag, so rumor has it (unconfirmed), it can have the opposite effect on anonymity if it attracts further scrutiny/attention to you overall.

I work on the basis all communications are intercepted.
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 04-Mar-18 18:15:32
Print Post

Stil having issues with the Sh3, i give up,

Whats the best cable router to get at the moment? or anyone got some decent alternatives?

Sh3 is going into modem mode...

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Mar-18 18:51:24
Print Post

Routers with Ethernet wan are popular for cable and FTTC and FTTP.

Iím a fan of the ASUS kit but there are lots to choose from. I have RT-AC88U.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 21/Oct/17: 63,430/9,688 - G.INP & 2.6 dB SNRm
19 years broadband since 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Now using Asus RT-AC88U with BT HG612 - BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 04-Mar-18 20:04:25
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

The Netgear Nighthawks are popular too http://amzn.to/2FRqjD4 £137.99 for the R7800

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to