User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Ripley
(experienced) Mon 05-Feb-18 16:23:07
Print Post

Project Lightning Cutbacks

[link to this post]

Does anybody know if Virgin have cut back plans on Project Lightning?

They were half way through cabling my town and seem to have pulled the plug on it. End of last year the roadworks.org website was full of virgin works in the area for the next few months and it has all gone. Also the virgin checker now just says not available rather than coming soon...

Area in question is Ripley, DE5

Freeserve Dial-Up --> BTopenworld --> <n>ildram -->Talk Talk LLU --> ZeN
ASUS RT-AC66U
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 05-Feb-18 19:23:34
Print Post

Re: Project Lightning Cutbacks

[re: Ripley] [link to this post]

This happens so much - back in 1999 they dug our street but never put the optics down it - waste of time and money it seems.
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 06-Feb-18 11:06:15
Print Post

Same thing happened my street in 2000(ish) - they dug up and put a cab outside my house, but then didn't finish by digging to each property.

They came back then around 15 months ago and finished it off.

Sometimes they can be stopped, I know my street, some complained of the digging and noise

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 06-Feb-18 13:33:52
Print Post

They are currently doing our area, my street was dug up in October, they were doing a lot of work on the street cabinets recently but the checker still says not available, it has never said coming soon, although I'm sure it will be available soon.

I know some areas have had problems with the road gangs doing the work, so perhaps they had issues that have not yet been resolved.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Wed 07-Feb-18 10:12:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ripley:
Does anybody know if Virgin have cut back plans on Project Lightning?

Yes I know and yes they have in places. They're adopting somewhat more strict adherence to costs per premises and where projects overspend they simply do what they can within budget then stop.

They have been stung quite majorly in terms of fines for faulty reinstatement, building under flags and block paving taking longer and costing more than expected, etc. The budget per premises as set is reasonable however it's quite easy for a project's costs to spiral especially if there are issues with the local authority.

That said, they may just be replanning Ripley so have cancelled the existing roadworks requests. There is still build scheduled to happen there.
Standard User Westyfield2
(learned) Thu 08-Feb-18 08:51:37
Print Post

Well out of the blue we've got Virgin Media Expansion Works notices on the lamp posts and a letter through the door yesterday.
Have never seen anything about our area being on a to-do list, so this has come out of the blue.

Bath (Combe Down).
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sun 11-Feb-18 01:30:38
Print Post

[re: Westyfield2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Westyfield2:
Well out of the blue we've got Virgin Media Expansion Works notices on the lamp posts and a letter through the door yesterday.
Have never seen anything about our area being on a to-do list, so this has come out of the blue.

Bath (Combe Down).

Yes indeed. Much of the work is unannounced. There are no public lists just the occasional bit of PR.

Hope there aren't too many complaints over the work. Most of it should be narrow trench so hopefully better.
  Print Thread

Jump to