User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bowdon
(committed) Sat 24-Feb-18 23:40:58
Print Post

How does speed vary on different packages?

[link to this post]

If I ordered Vivid 100 and got 95Mbps download, if I was to later order Vivid 200, would my speed increase?

On a fttp line, if my download speed was 30Mbps and I bought the Upto 80Mbps package, my speed would still stay the same.

I'm wondering if its the same for the virgin media packages.

Demon => Freeserve => Pipex => Be => Sky => BT Infinity 2
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 25-Feb-18 12:24:14
Print Post

Re: How does speed vary on different packages?

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

Yes it should.

And when you say
"On a fttp line, if my download speed was 30Mbps and I bought the Upto 80Mbps package, my speed would still stay the same."

Makes no sense, what package are on you when getting the 30 Mbps speeds?

People with access to full fibre FTTP and Virgin Media cable network is actually pretty rare, are you possibly confusing VDSL2/FTTC for FTTP?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 25-Feb-18 13:19:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by bowdon:
If I ordered Vivid 100 and got 95Mbps download, if I was to later order Vivid 200, would my speed increase?

Yes. Speed does not depend on distance. You still have internet variability.

On a fttp line, if my download speed was 30Mbps and I bought the Upto 80Mbps package, my speed would still stay the same.

No FTTP is the same as virgin, speed does not depend on distance. You still have internet variability.

With FTTC (VDSL) and ADSL the speed depends on distance.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 21/Oct/17: 63,430/9,688 - G.INP & 2.6 dB SNRm
19 years broadband since 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Now using Asus RT-AC88U with BT HG612 - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 25-Feb-18 13:30:33
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Does FTTP have any service agreements? If your area is down you could get under a third of your selected speed or less - and that's where it does differ if so
Standard User bowdon
(committed) Sun 25-Feb-18 13:46:42
Print Post

Oops...

I meant to type FTTC, not FTTP.. it was late at night smile

I thought if a person is on a BT Fibre Up to 52 Mbps package. But they are actually connecting at 30Mbps download. Then if they were to upgrade to the Up to 80Mbps package, their speed wouldnt change just because they increase their package? Am I wrong about that?

If I am right about that. Then I was wondering if it was the same situation for VM packages i.e. if someone is getting 80Mbps on Vivid 100, and then later upgrade to Vivid 200, would their 80Mbps increase, or stay the same like on FTTC technology?

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 25-Feb-18 13:47:43
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

I don't think any consumer service has SLA's.

However what are you talking about? Contention, Overselling or Faults?

DOCSIS has a weakness for overselling depending on how the physical plant is installed. US packages are different, you don't get promised a speed, in one of my US family's homes I've seen 400mbps during business day drop to 60mbps during an evening.

Contention & Overselling are harder on FTTP due to the native construction and that the physical plant operator is different from the ISP selling service.

Faults are faults, either network can be taken out completely by an RTA into a cabinet or a digger into the ground. Not sure on your question.

plusnet unlimited fibre 80/20 - 2 Jun 14 - Sync at 21/Oct/17: 63,430/9,688 - G.INP & 2.6 dB SNRm
19 years broadband since 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Now using Asus RT-AC88U with BT HG612 - BQM
Standard User bowdon
(committed) Sun 25-Feb-18 13:49:01
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:

Yes. Speed does not depend on distance. You still have internet variability.

I think you answered my question, even though I mistyped in my opening post.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 25-Feb-18 13:49:20
Print Post

I thought if a person is on a BT Fibre Up to 52 Mbps package. But they are actually connecting at 30Mbps download. Then if they were to upgrade to the Up to 80Mbps package, their speed wouldnt change just because they increase their package? Am I wrong about that?

No, because FTTC (actually VDSL) is distance dependent.

Then I was wondering if it was the same situation for VM packages i.e. if someone is getting 80Mbps on Vivid 100, and then later upgrade to Vivid 200, would their 80Mbps increase, or stay the same like on FTTC technology?

No, Virgin Media is not distance dependent in the same way, and is one reason why you have to have a coax cable pulled up your drive and into the home.

Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Mon 26-Feb-18 14:27:13
Print Post

Virgin provide a number of channels on the cable, up to 24 depending on area. 24 channels is over a gigabit of bandwidth. The modem artificially rate limits you to whatever tier you subscribe to, in your case 100mbit. Virgin actually over provide on this limit, for example on 350m they limit to 402m.

These channels are shared with other houses on your segment however, often as many as 500 houses, of which a significant proportion are likely VM subscribers.

There is no aspect of "I'm further away so I get less speed" on virgin, but obviously it only takes a handful of people on a 350m package to saturate the local channels, and then contention kicks in. Fault conditions causing errors can also reduce your throughput. You will also struggle to get 350m over the average wireless connection.

FTTP is similar, it uses GPON and you are rate limited at the modem, others share the same passive optical network segment and in theory there could be contention.

FTTC and G.Fast are distance limited, and while you may buy a 40/55/80/whatever package, what you actually get is down to the quality/length of the line. If you only get 30mbit on FTTC, upgrading to 80mbit FTTC won't help. In theory there could be contention from the cab to the exchange but this is unlikely. Your ISP might have network contention though.
  Print Thread

Jump to