User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Sat 03-Mar-18 18:59:00
Print Post

Virgin Media Speed Testing?

[link to this post]

Is there a problem that affects the results of ThinkBroadband's tester?

I've been away from Broadband for a while, however currently I'm trying to work out whhat speed testing sites I can trust.

I get a feeling that Ookla's speetest.net is somewhat biased or just plain running off the local virgin network or even prioritised, however it does also show when there is an issue sometimes.

However ThinkBroadbands test seems to always show my connection in a bad light, and others seem to give what I would say accurate results.

Suggestions of reliable test sites is welcomed, I've had a look at netflix fast.com tester too as I suffer issues with Netflix though speed test show no reason for this and I don't want Virgin saying its the sources issue and not their's.

Dum Di Dum Di Dum Di Dum
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sat 03-Mar-18 19:11:10
Print Post

Re: Virgin Media Speed Testing?

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

At least some of VM's network has bad routing to Think Broadband.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Sat 03-Mar-18 19:17:40
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

That's sorta what I remember from a while back...

However tonight doesn't seem to be the best night to have this discussion as congestion locally is right up there that even test to the local network are impacted.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7108070128

Lowest I've even seen around here for Virgin Media to be fair.

Though gonna do a reboot of things and see if there's any more local issues.

Dum Di Dum Di Dum Di Dum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 03-Mar-18 21:07:25
Print Post

As usual our tester is designed to be more sensitive and tends to show things are going awry ahead of others.

Virgin Media seem pretty confident they have no peak time issues based on what they publish in terms of average speeds from their own testing.

Will see if I can find time on Sunday to plot the last 60 days of activity for Virgin Media again.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User philjohn
(newbie) Sun 04-Mar-18 08:55:34
Print Post

You can download iperf3 (https://iperf.fr/iperf-download.php) and use one of their available servers to run some tests, which is what a little monitor I wrote running on an RPI does.

As well as TCP tests, such as:

iperf3 -c ping.online.net -p 5207 -R -t 20 (downstream, single threaded - add -P 6 to run 6 connections)
iperf3 -c ping.online.net -p 5207 -t 20 (upstream)

You can also get a handle on UDP packet loss and jitter running it in UDP mode:

iperf3 -c ping.online.net -p 5207 -R -u -t 20
iperf3 -c ping.online.net -p 5207 -u -t 20

From MrSaffron's response it seems that Virgin aren't using the best route to TBB, so having other options you can try is always worth knowing.
  Print Thread

Jump to