I am moving from BT to Virgin, i have not cancelled BT yet, not until VM get me working.
I would really appreciate any advice or assistance from any veterans.
1) My understanding is that there will be a new cable box created outside and that will have a coax cable entering the property, is that correct?
2) The cable from the outside box comes through the wall and is wired into a new box inside, is that correct?
3) Does the cable from outside to in have to be on the ground floor? If so, it will penetrate the damp proofing that most properties have, no? (last time a building drilled through that wall, his bit snapped and then the chuck/clutch broke. As a guess I assume the heat causes the injected 'stuff' to become like glue)
4) What cable comes out of the internal junction box? Is it coax or is it IP from that point?
5) In other words, does the router and the VM TV box simply use IP networking, or must they BOTH (? or just one or the other) be connected directly using coax? (please say its not the latter!!).
6) Can I use my own router? (My TP-Link TD-W9980 is utterly solid and never requires a reboot perhaps i can use that?)
7) Can I still use my SamKnows box? I want to have comparative measurements of VM100 compared to BT FTTC 80mb
Anything else I should think about?
Thanks for any answers or advice, i really appreciate it!