User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User clyde123
(regular) Fri 08-Feb-19 13:45:04
Print Post

VM Business Static IP

[link to this post]

Does anyone know whether there is still problems with the VM Business broadband when Static IPs are configured ?
I know there were issues a couple of years ago, haven't kept up to date on this.
Standard User John_Gray
(member) Sun 10-Feb-19 20:07:55
Print Post

Re: VM Business Static IP

[re: clyde123] [link to this post]

Check very carefully if you are really getting a Static IP address, rather than one which has a somewhat lesser chance of changing than has an ordinary retail-customer IP address.

They used to have weasel wording which needed to be read very closely indeed....
Standard User clyde123
(regular) Tue 12-Feb-19 11:03:20
Print Post

[re: John_Gray] [link to this post]

Thanks John_Gray, I will do that.
Unfortuneately the whole service has fallen down right now. I'm not able to get internet through to a computer, although can ping fine from the router, and the computer gets a DHCP address.
Now waiting for VM to come back and fix.
Cheers.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Feb-19 11:20:10
Print Post

[re: John_Gray] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by John_Gray:
Check very carefully if you are really getting a Static IP address, rather than one which has a somewhat lesser chance of changing than has an ordinary retail-customer IP address.

They used to have weasel wording which needed to be read very closely indeed....

That changed a while ago and with it introduced the performance problems with statics.

----
Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Standard User ubernick
(newbie) Wed 13-Mar-19 22:00:58
Print Post

I had VMB installed in May 2018. Shortly following my order I came across lots of speed and IP problems for business customers, but the account guy said they'd all be resolved with a new modem firmware that was being distributed in blocks, with new customers having it by default -- all down to the way business customers are wrangled onto a residential network using some form of tunnelling.

Despite all that mine has worked as expected and I have been assigned a block of 5 static IPs without issue.

One thing to bear in mind is that business customers get no advantage over residential in terms of congestion/network priority/traffic shaping - you just pay more for the same thing plus one or more static IPs.
Standard User markieb
(newbie) Thu 14-Mar-19 07:33:37
Print Post

I've been on the VM Business 350 5 IP package for several years now.

The only way I can justify keeping it is that it's now only my backup line to my lower speed Enta 80/20 line and too much trouble getting rid of it right now.

Single thread traffic is terrible on the VM line and makes most streaming & VOIP stuff unreliable most of the time, I seldom ever see the full 350/20 speed I pay for and latency goes so high at times that my pfSense firewall marks it as offline several times a week.

Considering it actually only handles very little of my day to day traffic, that's worrying.
Seriously thinking of ditching it all and going with a leased line....

Edited by markieb (Thu 14-Mar-19 07:54:39)

Standard User CSS_1978
(newbie) Sun 24-Mar-19 01:31:40
Print Post

I've been a VMB customer since July 2018 I have 13 static ip's using the hitron modem and I can't fault the service, on install it did take a few hours for the connection to get up to full speed but since then every speed test as been as per my connection 350/20, however I do stuggle to max the connection out from downloading from many websites but the likes of steam can max the download speeds out easy, I can't fault it, I'll be looking to take up the 500/35 once it's realease and more just for the upload speeds

Virgin Media Business 350/20 + 13 Static IP's
BT Business VDSL 80/20(sync speed 50/13) + 5 Static IP's
Standard User clyde123
(member) Tue 02-Apr-19 09:21:59
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Follow up to this thread, sorry should have done so a week or two ago.
I was never able to get that service up and running.
Ended up we cancelled the Static IP service and reverted to a dynamic IP service.
That worked right away.

What I wanted and was trying : the 8 Static IP service with 350MB. Then using my own Draytek router inside that for all the "proper" routing stuff.
What happened was that, we never got broadband to route through. It's supposed to be straight forward, but it just never worked.
I know that other people in other areas have made this work, and I acknowledge a huge amount of help in trying.
The VM network is an amalgamation of lots of old suppliers - NTL, Telewest, and many others who got bought over. My personal theory is that there are differences in their infrastructures which give different results to end-users.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 02-Apr-19 15:33:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by clyde123:
The VM network is an amalgamation of lots of old suppliers - NTL, Telewest, and many others who got bought over. My personal theory is that there are differences in their infrastructures which give different results to end-users.

ntl and Telewest had the networks acquired before broadband was a thing on them. The networks use the same equipment to terminate customer connections, they connect to the same core and backbone networks having been upgraded since the merger.

The only differences are the kit in the cabinets and all those do is provide an RF signal to homes, so it's not really an issue for end-users as far as IP level stuff goes.

Sounds like provisioning was botched frown

----
Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Standard User nemeth782
(committed) Thu 11-Apr-19 13:57:54
Print Post

Virgin Media residential dynamic IPs are so sticky, that I was able to:

1. Cancel the service in my name (old hub configured in modem mode to my Unifi USG router)
2. 2 days later, new service installed (with new hub) in my other half's name for better discounts to new customers.
3. Put new hub in modem mode with same router behind it

And I got the same IP that I have now had for 3+ years.

As long as the MAC address of the router doesn't change, the IPs are effectively static.

Unless you need more than 1 IP (and for the most part you can survive these days with SNI etc) you are probably better off avoiding any issues by sticking with their "dynamic" service.
  Print Thread

Jump to