User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sun 11-Aug-19 13:52:20
Print Post

Re: WiFi issues and Hub 3.0

[re: MrGrumpy] [link to this post]

Netgear R7800 or TP Link AC3100 v2. The former is on a deal @ £129.99 on Amazon.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sun 11-Aug-19 13:53:55)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 11-Aug-19 16:04:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrGrumpy:
Ok recommend me a new router for use with Virgin. We do live in a large house so I think we are on the limit here but even so I would expect better performance than this. Regular Wi-fi drop outs, tried all the extender changes and still the same. Willing to spend if it means reliability and not having to worry about adding in Wi-fi access points etc !?

If money, the new ASUS AX router gets some amazing reviews in PC Pro magazine this month:
https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AX88U/

I have the older model, which is incredibly good.
https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/RT-AC88U/

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - Sync history highest: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sun 11-Aug-19 16:45:32
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

The Asus RT-AX88U isnít rated as anything special by SNB:

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-re...

Unless MrGrumpy has some Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) clients itís almost a waste of money buying an AX router right now as the Wi-Fi 6 standard still isnít finalised, ie any Wi-Fi 6 router bought in 12-24 months time will have far superior hardware to whatís available right now.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 11-Aug-19 16:54:48
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
Unless MrGrumpy has some Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) clients itís almost a waste of money buying an AX router right now as the Wi-Fi 6 standard still isnít finalised, ie any Wi-Fi 6 router bought in 12-24 months time will have far superior hardware to whatís available right now.

Interesting. The PC pro article did a test using the AX router (WiFi 6) versus a handful of WiFi 5 routers, using AC clients and some laptops with a USB AX receiver. The results (in a UK flat, in a big city) were quite impressive. (I note SMB/Tim Higgins are in the US, so things a bit different in regards to easy returns, plus SNB's review is Jan??).

Depends what you need and the speed of your WAN, but with VirginMedia offering 350 Mbps today, and 500 shortly, I thought looking forward was worthwhile.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - Sync history highest: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM

Edited by jchamier (Sun 11-Aug-19 16:55:42)

Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 11-Aug-19 20:24:45
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Folks I ended up buying some Wi-fi mesh adapters, Deco TP link devices. Early doors but seems very stable at the moment with strong WiFi all over the house now. Hub is now in modem mode and these were pretty easy to setup.
I was going to buy a new router but googling some more on various reviews I donít think this was going to solve signal strength?!

Regards

MrG

Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

All spelling and grammatical errors are left in on purpose
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Sep-19 13:53:28
Print Post

Just to add been no issues whatsoever since going down this route. Worth the money !

Regards

MrG

Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

All spelling and grammatical errors are left in on purpose
Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Fri 06-Sep-19 15:52:02
Print Post

Just be aware if you have issues VMs support haven't a clue if your using modem mode, it confuses them, their scripts don't account for it.

I've have ongoing issues and they told me they can't see any devices attached, I say that's because it's in modem mode and I have my own router. Then they say they will set it back to router mode as otherwise my WiFi won't work, I say no I have my own access point, and round in circles we go, they don't even know what the warning lights on the front mean.

Standard User gmangt4
(regular) Fri 06-Sep-19 17:13:40
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
Just be aware if you have issues VMs support haven't a clue if your using modem mode, it confuses them, their scripts don't account for it.

I've have ongoing issues and they told me they can't see any devices attached, I say that's because it's in modem mode and I have my own router. Then they say they will set it back to router mode as otherwise my WiFi won't work, I say no I have my own access point, and round in circles we go, they don't even know what the warning lights on the front mean.

Yes that does confuse them, I had their BB and was getting their TV services installed and the install guy took one look at my router and its magenta LED and stood back and pretty much accused me of "fiddling" with their equipment, called his supervisor and long story short is I ended up with £80 credit on my account and an apology lol
I now have SkyQ but VM BB lol
Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Fri 06-Sep-19 17:59:39
Print Post

[re: gmangt4] [link to this post]

Nice result. We're on fttp so I'm going to check all the coax connections tomorrow and if that doesn't improve things I'll simply unplug the power injector prior to phoning support, that way they just won't be able to see the hub, they've already sent a new hub, so hopefully they'll send yet another engineer.

What really annoys me is you have to go through the same rubbish every time you phone up starting from scratch even though it's the same on going fault.

Standard User bigluap
(learned) Sun 08-Sep-19 08:25:37
Print Post

[re: gmangt4] [link to this post]

FIRST BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING.
Go to the app store on your mobile and download and install "WiFI Analyzer"
Check what devices in your area are using what channels, Go into setup on your Router and set it to use a Free Channel and lock it to that, for 2.4 GHz use dual Channels this improves the Signal Quality Long Range. 5.0GHz for device that can use it. Found turning on the extra channels upset it a lot.

Which is why I chose to add my own WiFi routers, from Hub 1, Below is my current setup I have now been using for about 2 years, since AC WiFi was available.

Personally I found Modem mode fouled everything up.

Due to the limited range of the Supplied Hubs WiFi, I have always used my own routers.
I have 1x 2.4GHz WiFi channel open on the hub for checking purposes.

From the Hub ports I run Cat5e cables:-
Port 1 - Direct to a Netgear 10 Port Gigabit switch in the lounge,
Connected to Netgear R8000 Nighthawk WiFi Router 2x 2.4 GHz 3x 5.0 GHz
Other ports to other devices as required
Port 2 - 20 metres Cat5e to the small bedroom connects to a Netgear 10 port Gigabit Switch
Connected to this is a Netgear R7800 Nighthawk WiFi Router 1x 2.4GHz 2x 5.0 GHz
Connects to Gigabit Devices
Port 3 - 20 metres Cat5e to the small bedroom connects to a Netgear 10 port Gigabit Switch
This switch connect to legacy 10 - 100 bit devices, including Network Printer.
Port 4 Connected to the LG TV

The Netgear Nighthawk Routers self configured when they were connected into the network.

By having this many WiFi channels I can have 8 devices each connect via a separate channel. Down fed via cable to the main hub & the internet, this reduces interference between devices. Also if you have channels available you could set these to separate channels to give some separation to reduce interference.

The idea of using extenders all using the same network, which can then cause interference to each other, then you might have 6 devices trying to communicate with the main hub via WiFi at the same time. Now you start to realise when your problems might be.

nb it might say newbie, Been building PCs since 386SX25 late 80's
My network is VM connection 200mbit VMDG 480 Gigabit routers Netgear Nighthawk R8000 & R7800 2 x cat5e cables to work room, have 3 gigabit switches at key points. Routers give me 3x 2.4 & 5 5.0 GHz WiFi channels - one for each device.

Edited by bigluap (Sun 08-Sep-19 08:30:06)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to