User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bigluap
(learned) Sun 08-Sep-19 08:40:19
Print Post

Re: WiFi issues and Hub 3.0

[re: MrGrumpy] [link to this post]

For a large house I would suggest 2 Netgear Nighthawks, these will self configure when connected into your network, But I would strongly recommend connecting them to the hub via Cat6e cable.

Depending upon haw many devices you have that will need to connect, would decide what capacity Routers you need. I say this as I found giving each device its own WiFi channel prevents inter-device interference.

Then it comes down to what you can afford, you now need to be looking at AC capable devices.

nb it might say newbie, Been building PCs since 386SX25 late 80's
My network is VM connection 200mbit Hub3 - Gigabit routers - Netgear Nighthawk R8000 & R7800 2 x cat5e cables to work room, have 3 gigabit switches at key points. Routers give me 3x 2.4 & 5 5.0 GHz WiFi channels - one for each device.
Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-Sep-19 13:44:26
Print Post

[re: bigluap] [link to this post]

I hope you have DHCP turned off on all except one router.

No need for CAT6 either, CAT5e will suffice for the majority of most home setups for a long time to come.

Setting the SH3 to modem mode doesn't foul anything up in my experience, well except for telephone support. other than that it improves things smile

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-Sep-19 16:14:50
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Sorry to hijack this thread a tad, but you chaps seem to have the similar setup that I will setup when I join VM at the end of the month.
In short, where can I find a list of settings that I need to ender into my router to maximise my connection?
Sorry again.
TIA
DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 08-Sep-19 16:26:36
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

If you need to enter settings, your router probably won't work. You will need a router with an Ethernet port, and set it to DHCP mode.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-mo...

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19), 47/6 (Aug/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-Sep-19 16:45:49
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Thanks for that link. It will be VERY useful for this Virgin virgin.

It is already in DHCP mode. The settings I am thinking of are packet sizes, MTU, MRU and any others that might be pertinent. Due to your helpful link, I suppose I could see what the settings in the Hub 3's router section are and copy them over. OTOH, the settings in my router will not affect the connection itself. I have never done a broadband tech change before so may be overthinking the issue.

Cheers

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 08-Sep-19 16:52:44
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DrTeeth:
It is already in DHCP mode. The settings I am thinking of are packet sizes, MTU, MRU and any others that might be pertinent. Due to your helpful link, I suppose I could see what the settings in the Hub 3's router section are and copy them over. OTOH, the settings in my router will not affect the connection itself. I have never done a broadband tech change before so may be overthinking the issue.

I would be surprised if you are already in DHCP on the WAN, as you are likely in PPPoE to pass a username and password to your provider (whomever this is). The PPP subsytem gets the IP address, its not actually DHCP.

Packet sizes, MTU, MRU should all be defaults. MTU should be the Ethernet default of 1500 bytes as unlike DSL the packet does not need to be wrapped on a PPPoE (VDSL) or PPPoA (ADSL) header. You will find the Hub 3 is very basic, and will show none of these types of thing.

I suggest you don't worry and just plug in and see how it goes. The Asus handles this automatically, as it sets MTU to 1492 when you choose PPPoE for an Openreach VDSL connection, it will set 1500 for a simple Ethernet connection. The "automatic IP" is the wording that Asus use for DHCP.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19), 47/6 (Aug/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM

Edited by jchamier (Sun 08-Sep-19 16:53:27)

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-Sep-19 17:09:02
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Okay will do. You have given me quite enough to go on with the links and advice you have given. I am very grateful.

Cheers

DrT

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to