User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 12-Jun-19 10:36:07
Print Post

WiFi issues and Hub 3.0

[link to this post]

I seem to be having quite a lot of WiFi issues with our Hub 3.0. Googling does suggest I am not alone. Best thing apparently is too buy your own router. Any recommendations at all that would also be compatible with the VM supplied boosters that we have.

Regards

MrG

Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

All spelling and grammatical errors are left in on purpose
Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Sun 16-Jun-19 18:33:11
Print Post

Re: WiFi issues and Hub 3.0

[re: MrGrumpy] [link to this post]

Depends on what your budget or requirements are as a household.

I find Netgear routers to be reasonably good all rounders.

Asus make good gaming routers.

It's really dependant on your budget though.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Jun-19 08:59:33
Print Post

Issues such as?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 17-Jun-19 12:01:31
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

As I said it was purely WiFi issues even in the same room it would not hold a connection. However...... I have replaced one network cable and also not used the virgin connect app at all to check anything as I have a suspicion one of those has been causing me all sorts of grief ?? Been fine now since I originally posted.

Regards

MrG

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Jun-19 12:25:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrGrumpy:
As I said it was purely WiFi issues even in the same room it would not hold a connection. However...... I have replaced one network cable and also not used the virgin connect app at all to check anything as I have a suspicion one of those has been causing me all sorts of grief ?? Been fine now since I originally posted.
Glad to hear, most virginmedia users are certainly not sitting in the same room as their wifi router unable to hold a connection. If that was standardised there would be a lot of complaints. If the issue repeats post here we can give you further steps to try.
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Jul-19 20:37:38
Print Post

Problems again however it might be down to the Wi-fi extender?? It could well be losing connection to the Hub. Anyway have stopped using it and switched it off and so far so good?? Not sure what the answer to this will be ?

Regards

MrG

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 19-Jul-19 20:47:46
Print Post

Did they fix the issues with your main hub?
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Jul-19 21:06:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Did they fix the issues with your main hub?

I think the issue is to do with which equipment your connecting through? Currently connected to the Hub and have no issues ? Once the extender is switched on, if you connect via that I think that might be causing the issue. Btw itís all configured with the same Wi-fi ID etc .

Regards

MrG

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 21-Jul-19 00:50:50
Print Post

Pop the booster to be a separate SSID e.g. Virginmedia_EXT.

What extenders do you have? Are they the powerline type? These are notoriously unreliable in certain homes (very dependant on your home wiring), they are either awesome or awful.
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 11-Aug-19 11:47:00
Print Post

Ok recommend me a new router for use with Virgin. We do live in a large house so I think we are on the limit here but even so I would expect better performance than this. Regular Wi-fi drop outs, tried all the extender changes and still the same. Willing to spend if it means reliability and not having to worry about adding in Wi-fi access points etc !?

Regards

MrG

Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sun 11-Aug-19 13:52:20
Print Post

Netgear R7800 or TP Link AC3100 v2. The former is on a deal @ £129.99 on Amazon.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sun 11-Aug-19 13:53:55)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 11-Aug-19 16:04:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrGrumpy:
Ok recommend me a new router for use with Virgin. We do live in a large house so I think we are on the limit here but even so I would expect better performance than this. Regular Wi-fi drop outs, tried all the extender changes and still the same. Willing to spend if it means reliability and not having to worry about adding in Wi-fi access points etc !?

If money, the new ASUS AX router gets some amazing reviews in PC Pro magazine this month:
https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AX88U/

I have the older model, which is incredibly good.
https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/RT-AC88U/

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - Sync history highest: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sun 11-Aug-19 16:45:32
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

The Asus RT-AX88U isnít rated as anything special by SNB:

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-re...

Unless MrGrumpy has some Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) clients itís almost a waste of money buying an AX router right now as the Wi-Fi 6 standard still isnít finalised, ie any Wi-Fi 6 router bought in 12-24 months time will have far superior hardware to whatís available right now.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 11-Aug-19 16:54:48
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
Unless MrGrumpy has some Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) clients itís almost a waste of money buying an AX router right now as the Wi-Fi 6 standard still isnít finalised, ie any Wi-Fi 6 router bought in 12-24 months time will have far superior hardware to whatís available right now.

Interesting. The PC pro article did a test using the AX router (WiFi 6) versus a handful of WiFi 5 routers, using AC clients and some laptops with a USB AX receiver. The results (in a UK flat, in a big city) were quite impressive. (I note SMB/Tim Higgins are in the US, so things a bit different in regards to easy returns, plus SNB's review is Jan??).

Depends what you need and the speed of your WAN, but with VirginMedia offering 350 Mbps today, and 500 shortly, I thought looking forward was worthwhile.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - Sync history highest: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19)

Edited by jchamier (Sun 11-Aug-19 16:55:42)

Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 11-Aug-19 20:24:45
Print Post

Folks I ended up buying some Wi-fi mesh adapters, Deco TP link devices. Early doors but seems very stable at the moment with strong WiFi all over the house now. Hub is now in modem mode and these were pretty easy to setup.
I was going to buy a new router but googling some more on various reviews I donít think this was going to solve signal strength?!

Regards

MrG

Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Sep-19 13:53:28
Print Post

Just to add been no issues whatsoever since going down this route. Worth the money !

Regards

MrG

Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Fri 06-Sep-19 15:52:02
Print Post

Just be aware if you have issues VMs support haven't a clue if your using modem mode, it confuses them, their scripts don't account for it.

I've have ongoing issues and they told me they can't see any devices attached, I say that's because it's in modem mode and I have my own router. Then they say they will set it back to router mode as otherwise my WiFi won't work, I say no I have my own access point, and round in circles we go, they don't even know what the warning lights on the front mean.

Standard User gmangt4
(regular) Fri 06-Sep-19 17:13:40
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
Just be aware if you have issues VMs support haven't a clue if your using modem mode, it confuses them, their scripts don't account for it.

I've have ongoing issues and they told me they can't see any devices attached, I say that's because it's in modem mode and I have my own router. Then they say they will set it back to router mode as otherwise my WiFi won't work, I say no I have my own access point, and round in circles we go, they don't even know what the warning lights on the front mean.

Yes that does confuse them, I had their BB and was getting their TV services installed and the install guy took one look at my router and its magenta LED and stood back and pretty much accused me of "fiddling" with their equipment, called his supervisor and long story short is I ended up with £80 credit on my account and an apology lol
I now have SkyQ but VM BB lol
Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Fri 06-Sep-19 17:59:39
Print Post

[re: gmangt4] [link to this post]

Nice result. We're on fttp so I'm going to check all the coax connections tomorrow and if that doesn't improve things I'll simply unplug the power injector prior to phoning support, that way they just won't be able to see the hub, they've already sent a new hub, so hopefully they'll send yet another engineer.

What really annoys me is you have to go through the same rubbish every time you phone up starting from scratch even though it's the same on going fault.

Standard User bigluap
(learned) Sun 08-Sep-19 08:25:37
Print Post

[re: gmangt4] [link to this post]

FIRST BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING.
Go to the app store on your mobile and download and install "WiFI Analyzer"
Check what devices in your area are using what channels, Go into setup on your Router and set it to use a Free Channel and lock it to that, for 2.4 GHz use dual Channels this improves the Signal Quality Long Range. 5.0GHz for device that can use it. Found turning on the extra channels upset it a lot.

Which is why I chose to add my own WiFi routers, from Hub 1, Below is my current setup I have now been using for about 2 years, since AC WiFi was available.

Personally I found Modem mode fouled everything up.

Due to the limited range of the Supplied Hubs WiFi, I have always used my own routers.
I have 1x 2.4GHz WiFi channel open on the hub for checking purposes.

From the Hub ports I run Cat5e cables:-
Port 1 - Direct to a Netgear 10 Port Gigabit switch in the lounge,
Connected to Netgear R8000 Nighthawk WiFi Router 2x 2.4 GHz 3x 5.0 GHz
Other ports to other devices as required
Port 2 - 20 metres Cat5e to the small bedroom connects to a Netgear 10 port Gigabit Switch
Connected to this is a Netgear R7800 Nighthawk WiFi Router 1x 2.4GHz 2x 5.0 GHz
Connects to Gigabit Devices
Port 3 - 20 metres Cat5e to the small bedroom connects to a Netgear 10 port Gigabit Switch
This switch connect to legacy 10 - 100 bit devices, including Network Printer.
Port 4 Connected to the LG TV

The Netgear Nighthawk Routers self configured when they were connected into the network.

By having this many WiFi channels I can have 8 devices each connect via a separate channel. Down fed via cable to the main hub & the internet, this reduces interference between devices. Also if you have channels available you could set these to separate channels to give some separation to reduce interference.

The idea of using extenders all using the same network, which can then cause interference to each other, then you might have 6 devices trying to communicate with the main hub via WiFi at the same time. Now you start to realise when your problems might be.

nb it might say newbie, Been building PCs since 386SX25 late 80's
My network is VM connection 200mbit VMDG 480 Gigabit routers Netgear Nighthawk R8000 & R7800 2 x cat5e cables to work room, have 3 gigabit switches at key points. Routers give me 3x 2.4 & 5 5.0 GHz WiFi channels - one for each device.

Edited by bigluap (Sun 08-Sep-19 08:30:06)

Standard User bigluap
(learned) Sun 08-Sep-19 08:40:19
Print Post

For a large house I would suggest 2 Netgear Nighthawks, these will self configure when connected into your network, But I would strongly recommend connecting them to the hub via Cat6e cable.

Depending upon haw many devices you have that will need to connect, would decide what capacity Routers you need. I say this as I found giving each device its own WiFi channel prevents inter-device interference.

Then it comes down to what you can afford, you now need to be looking at AC capable devices.

nb it might say newbie, Been building PCs since 386SX25 late 80's
My network is VM connection 200mbit Hub3 - Gigabit routers - Netgear Nighthawk R8000 & R7800 2 x cat5e cables to work room, have 3 gigabit switches at key points. Routers give me 3x 2.4 & 5 5.0 GHz WiFi channels - one for each device.
Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-Sep-19 13:44:26
Print Post

[re: bigluap] [link to this post]

I hope you have DHCP turned off on all except one router.

No need for CAT6 either, CAT5e will suffice for the majority of most home setups for a long time to come.

Setting the SH3 to modem mode doesn't foul anything up in my experience, well except for telephone support. other than that it improves things smile

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-Sep-19 16:14:50
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Sorry to hijack this thread a tad, but you chaps seem to have the similar setup that I will setup when I join VM at the end of the month.
In short, where can I find a list of settings that I need to ender into my router to maximise my connection?
Sorry again.
TIA
DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 08-Sep-19 16:26:36
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

If you need to enter settings, your router probably won't work. You will need a router with an Ethernet port, and set it to DHCP mode.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-mo...

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19), 47/6 (Aug/19)
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-Sep-19 16:45:49
Print Post

Thanks for that link. It will be VERY useful for this Virgin virgin.

It is already in DHCP mode. The settings I am thinking of are packet sizes, MTU, MRU and any others that might be pertinent. Due to your helpful link, I suppose I could see what the settings in the Hub 3's router section are and copy them over. OTOH, the settings in my router will not affect the connection itself. I have never done a broadband tech change before so may be overthinking the issue.

Cheers

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 08-Sep-19 16:52:44
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DrTeeth:
It is already in DHCP mode. The settings I am thinking of are packet sizes, MTU, MRU and any others that might be pertinent. Due to your helpful link, I suppose I could see what the settings in the Hub 3's router section are and copy them over. OTOH, the settings in my router will not affect the connection itself. I have never done a broadband tech change before so may be overthinking the issue.

I would be surprised if you are already in DHCP on the WAN, as you are likely in PPPoE to pass a username and password to your provider (whomever this is). The PPP subsytem gets the IP address, its not actually DHCP.

Packet sizes, MTU, MRU should all be defaults. MTU should be the Ethernet default of 1500 bytes as unlike DSL the packet does not need to be wrapped on a PPPoE (VDSL) or PPPoA (ADSL) header. You will find the Hub 3 is very basic, and will show none of these types of thing.

I suggest you don't worry and just plug in and see how it goes. The Asus handles this automatically, as it sets MTU to 1492 when you choose PPPoE for an Openreach VDSL connection, it will set 1500 for a simple Ethernet connection. The "automatic IP" is the wording that Asus use for DHCP.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19), 47/6 (Aug/19)

Edited by jchamier (Sun 08-Sep-19 16:53:27)

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-Sep-19 17:09:02
Print Post

Okay will do. You have given me quite enough to go on with the links and advice you have given. I am very grateful.

Cheers

DrT

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to