User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-Sep-19 16:10:54
Print Post

Taking the plunge

[link to this post]

I will be joining Virgin media at the end of the month and would like to use my own router. I have already asked on the VM community and have not got anything useful.

The thing is that I am looking for a list of their network parameters that I can enter into my router. Does anybody here know where I can get them?

Cheers

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 08-Sep-19 16:25:33
Print Post

Re: Taking the plunge

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DrTeeth:
The thing is that I am looking for a list of their network parameters that I can enter into my router. Does anybody here know where I can get them?

You will need a router with an Ethernet WAN port. Any router that is ADSL or VDSL will not work as the technologies are very different. Virgin Media uses DOCSIS (Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification) over coax cable, not DSL (Digital Subscriber Line) over twisted pair traditional telephone cabling. Remember VM will need to drill hole through your wall if you don't already have a Coax point.

Virgin Media will supply you their SuperHub which connects to the coax (American TV cabling) and works as a router. You can set this into "modem mode" and connect your own router to it.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-mo...

Their call centre is usually confused if you are in Modem mode!

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19), 47/6 (Aug/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-Sep-19 16:35:30
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Hi,

Thanks for your answer. My router does not have a modem in it so can be connected to any modem. I am aware of how to physically connect my router, I am just after configuration parameters. My router is an Asus RT-AC86U and it is stuffed full of configuration options, which are currently set up for my FTTC connection.

Cheers

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 08-Sep-19 16:39:39
Print Post

Great! Easy then, on your ASUS select the WAN tab on the left.
In the middle choose WAN Connection Type, and set to "Automatic IP".

You do not need any username or password for a Virgin Media cable connection because they do not let anyone else use their network. (Unlike the FTTC/VDSL network which is open to any ISP that pays Openreach.)

Set the Virgin Media SuperHub to modem mode (see link I posted previously). Connect Ethernet Port 1 of the SuperHub to the WAN port on the ASUS, instead of your existing modem.

I'm using an Asus RT-AC88U and a Huawei HG612 modem here, and have been wondering about Virgin Media - so please post how you get on!

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19), 47/6 (Aug/19)

Edited by jchamier (Sun 08-Sep-19 16:41:15)

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-Sep-19 16:56:01
Print Post

Hi,

I really appreciate your help. I have the same modem here. Sounds like our kit is quite similar. I am using Merlin's firmware,

I am dreading having to deal with VM's tech support. My son has always had VM in his digs at uni and has never had any issues.

I will be moving from my current ISP, VERY reluctantly I might add, but I will be getting VM's 350 service and phone for £13 less than I get my FTTC/phone from my current ISP. My phone line is not connected to my closest cabinet, but my 2nd closest, It has never been that fast, but I got a sustained 20% drop in speed some time ago. Unlinited so no big deal to wait whilst downloading. I was told that if I contact VM in my 11th month, they will continue the promotion price to keep me on board.

I am a radio ham and ADSL/VDSL/FTTC creates a LOT of RF noise. Without mine and my neighbour's, should get a drop in the noise floor too!

Cheers

DrT

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 08-Sep-19 17:02:35
Print Post

Sounds good!. Enjoy!

Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-Sep-19 17:29:56
Print Post

Is your area full coax, or are you in a new area with FTTP?

Do you have an existing VM coax point?

I had mine installed in April 2018, and it worked perfectly until August this year, dealing with VM tech support is a nightmare, but probably not much worse than any other cheap ISP.

Prices rises mid term are a pain, but the engineer told me they are ending mid term prise rises soon, though I'll believe that one when there is an official announcement.

At the end of my 12 months I found negotiating a decent price was hard work, but I did get there in the end, also after the last price rise was again very hard work, but end result was a better price than I had negotiated in April.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 08-Sep-19 18:14:26
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:

That shouldn't matter, as VM fit an FTTP to coax converter at the property and then feed the SuperHub with a coax cable. (and a TV box if you also buy TV services).

Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-Sep-19 20:56:16
Print Post

I know, that's what I have.

The reason it matters is if there isn't already a media converter installed outside then VM will install it wherever they want, which is the easiest place for them rather than where the OP wants it. They won't tell the OP when the external install is being done either.

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Sep-19 14:46:26
Print Post

Do you have an existing VM coax point?

My road and many around here were cabled by VM a few months ago. I have drilled a hole though my wall for my ham radio antennas, but I am sure the VM dude will do a tidier job than I did. If I had FTTP, I would jump at that. I too am dreading dealing with VM's tech support. I have already had a "run in" with their support via text just trying to change the title on my order from "Mr" to "Dr". In the end I just phoned the delightful sales rep whop said she would sort it.

I am very sad at leaving my current ISP, Uno. It is a small ISP and do not treat their customers like idiots. On the rare occasions when I have called them, they have been perfect. If only I could get better speeds from my FTTC connection, sigh.

I better had get a good deal at the end, especially as the sales rep said that my introductory price would be continued.

Cheers

DrT

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Sep-19 14:48:34
Print Post

I know, that's what I have.

The reason it matters is if there isn't already a media converter installed outside then VM will install it wherever they want, which is the easiest place for them rather than where the OP wants it. They won't tell the OP when the external install is being done either.

What is a "media converter" please? How big is it (ooer matron)? I am just getting the phone and broadband.

Cheers

DrT

Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Sep-19 16:02:01
Print Post

I noticed on my new contract it said my price was valid until March 2021, so apart from price rises it shouldn't go up. I'm pretty sure my last contrast also said that but after 12 months I got an email saying it was going up to just above £50 and had forgot about the contract, so check yours and remember for 12 months time.

We have Virgin FTTP, which then uses a media converter to convert from fibre to coax. It sits in a box outside on the wall.

Www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303276972330

Don't count on the VM engineer doing a tidy install, that's the last thing on their mind.

Only reason I went with VM is because FTTC is poor, but OR are supposed to be installing FTTP soon smile

Edited by R0NSKI (Mon 09-Sep-19 16:02:26)

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Sep-19 16:58:55
Print Post

I assumed it was coax that they laid, but it could just as easily been fibre. I'll find out soon enough.

The engineer *will* do a tidy install wink. Thanks for the heads-up about the contract.

Cheers

DrT

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to