User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ImranQ
(regular) Fri 27-Sep-19 10:52:15
Print Post

How are the Virgin Media Fibre Broadband packages?

[link to this post]

Hi All,
I am currently with a company called Toople who use TalkTalk to provide my underlying service. Started having problems for the last one week and I am thinking of moving to Virgin Media! I am specifically interested in the M350 package which has a minimum guaranteed speed of 180MBps (so they claim).

So, I was wondering how the Virgin Media is as a broadband provider??
Thanks,
Imran

Edited by ImranQ (Fri 27-Sep-19 11:40:49)

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Sep-19 12:10:09
Print Post

Re: How are the Virgin Media Fibre Broadband packages?

[re: ImranQ] [link to this post]

guaranteed speed of 180MBps ( I wouldn't trust that one bit)
Standard User ImranQ
(regular) Fri 27-Sep-19 12:13:46
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

The actual spped of the package is quoted as 350 but they claim that min will be 181.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gary333
(member) Fri 27-Sep-19 12:26:37
Print Post

Ignore the above person, they have a bee in their bonnet about Virgin. If they were as bad as he would lead you to believe theyíd be bankrupt.

It will all come down to your local area. Some areas are brilliant, some are good, others adequate, and a few are pee poor.

Area I live in gives maximum speed pretty much all the time, when thereís a local issue they are quick to fix. Only issue Iíve run into over years is YouTube caching being oversubscribed in their network causing poor video quality. Lasted about 2 months a couple of years ago.

Move 5 miles down the road to me and it used to be a different story. Some of this could be down to housing stock, social makeup and the volume of people in each property, but lots of moans. Potentially also poorer topology as people on the ex. Yorkshire cable / Blue Yonder / Telewest area (like where I get a good service) were historically at least more content than the ex NTL area where the above issues were visible).
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Sep-19 12:30:07
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gary333:
Move 5 miles down the road to me and it used to be a different story. Some of this could be down to housing stock, social makeup and the volume of people in each property, but lots of moans. Potentially also poorer topology as people on the ex. Yorkshire cable / Blue Yonder / Telewest area (like where I get a good service) were historically at least more content than the ex NTL area where the above issues were visible).

and NTL itself was made up of lots of companies, as Telewest was, before the two merged to form VM. Each of the original companies built the cable networks to a different level of quality in the early 1990s. Then there are the frequent core network oddities. Not all customers notice of course, but frequently reported in this forum.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19), 47/6 (Aug/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM

Edited by jchamier (Fri 27-Sep-19 12:30:52)

Standard User ImranQ
(regular) Fri 27-Sep-19 12:40:04
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply Gary. At the moment I am quite inclined towards the M350 package. I'm not expecting 350 of course but even if I get the minimum 180 they quote, I will be happy as this will be more than I currently get of around 70 (saying that, its dropped since the last week down to around 40frown ) .
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Sep-19 12:44:06
Print Post

350 for 181 is a conned and waste of money. If it was 350 u paid for, u are suppose to get 350 not missold 181.
Standard User gary333
(member) Fri 27-Sep-19 12:44:36
Print Post

Unless you are in an area that has high utilisation / over subscription you should get the full 350 smile.
Standard User gary333
(member) Fri 27-Sep-19 12:48:33
Print Post

Thatís not how it works, and Iím sure you know it. At least Virgin Media give you the headline figure. My BT live can only give 19mb, yet I have to pay for 40mb which Iíll never be able to get. Minimum speed on the 40 package for me was 10!
Standard User ImranQ
(regular) Fri 27-Sep-19 12:51:38
Print Post

If I'm going to pay around 45 for 80Mb DSL and get around 60-70 compared to paying around 39 (with discount) for 350Mb and get 180, doesn't the latter doesn't sound like a better deal?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to