User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User karim31
(committed) Tue 12-Nov-19 14:53:05
Print Post

Virgin Media M100 108Mb

[link to this post]

I am thinking of migrating from Plusnet to Virgin as prices are no longer competitive, can someone tell me what average speed can I expect with the following virgin product
M100 108Mb
And what is the overall service like compared with Plusnet?
Standard User Brunel
(experienced) Tue 12-Nov-19 19:40:51
Print Post

Re: Virgin Media M100 108Mb

[re: karim31] [link to this post]

This is my M100:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/_assets/speedtest/but...

The speed is constant, obviously I am in a non congested area.
Standard User karim31
(committed) Sun 17-Nov-19 11:19:01
Print Post

[re: Brunel] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Brunel:
This is my M100:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/_assets/speedtest/but...

The speed is constant, obviously I am in a non congested area.

Thanks for the reponse to my question, I can't see the link but I can see that you're pleased with your connection
Cheers

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gary333
(member) Sun 17-Nov-19 11:22:16
Print Post

Average speed of the M100 package is 108mb smile

In the majority of areas you will get this nearly all the time. Seems to be student areas where the complaints come from.
Standard User Brunel
(experienced) Sun 17-Nov-19 11:24:55
Print Post

Correct link...?

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15739896153...
Standard User rcranswick
(member) Sun 17-Nov-19 13:21:16
Print Post

Re: Virgin Media M100 108Mb *DELETED*

Post deleted by rcranswick
Standard User rcranswick
(member) Sun 17-Nov-19 13:22:45
Print Post

These are my M100 stats via a wired connection

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15739966732...
Standard User karim31
(committed) Fri 22-Nov-19 10:26:50
Print Post

[re: Brunel] [link to this post]

Thanks for the link ... that speed rocks!
Standard User karim31
(committed) Fri 22-Nov-19 10:45:38
Print Post

[re: rcranswick] [link to this post]

That speed is excellent ... My plusnet connection speed is poor by comparison for about the same price as Virgin M100.
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15744184644...
I've been with plusnet 6 years and customer loyalty means nothing to them ... they want me to pay £26.99 per month for 36Mb while Virgin are offering M100 for just £25 per month.
I still have one month contract with plusnet ... I wonder if I can set a date for the transfer of service from plusnet to virgin so I wouldn't waste a whole month or should I just wait a week before the end of the contract ...Assuming the Virgin offer will still be around in 3 weeks time ?
Standard User karim31
(committed) Fri 22-Nov-19 10:52:07
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

I live about 300 yards from a University campus ... I hope that won't affect the connection but my current fibre speeds seem to be maxed for a 36Mb connection
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15744184644...
Standard User rcranswick
(member) Fri 22-Nov-19 18:18:49
Print Post

If you're in a Virgin Media cable area, it wouldn't be a transfer of service. Virgin would provide an entirely new service on their own cable network.

You can transfer your landline number to Virgin but, if you don't need a landline/voice service, you can just go broadband only with Virgin.
Standard User karim31
(committed) Sat 23-Nov-19 15:58:46
Print Post

[re: rcranswick] [link to this post]

Broadband only from virgin is more expensive than Broadband and phone...
Uswitch deal for broadband and phone (M100) is 25 per month 12 months contract
Broadband without phone (m100 same product) is 42 pounds per month from virgin website
Standard User SteveC
(member) Thu 02-Jan-20 12:25:30
Print Post

I've left it stupidly late to think about what to do about internet, as our Plusnet 18 month contract finishes in a week, kept thinking about ditching landline phone and broadband altogether and getting an unlimited ~£20pcm mobile deal (mainly for data than calls/texts, as we stream a lot of Amazon Video plus a bit of gaming)... But Three speed tests off my mobile sim are worse than our Plusnet.

Plusnet want £27pcm to renew current deal, which includes free 60min calls at weekend as well as after 1900 on weekdays. With cashback/voucher deals for switching, this doesn't sound great, even though we will pay a bit extra for the final ~7 days after our Plusnet contract ends while the switch completes.

Virgin M100 phone and broadband deal looks tempting that ends today, £27pcm + £35 activation, but looks like £130 Topcashback and can choose £75 voucher or £50 off Virgin bill makes it look even better! It also would connect us through their own wiring network, rather than the archiac setup in our rented place that has given us fairly poor speeds (or slightly faster with drop outs) by modern standards over the past 10+ years with various ISPs through BT network.

But my real reason for posting was to ask this question...

If I sign up for this Virgin deal, will they automatically tell Plusnet to cease our phone/bb package with them and transfer our landline number to Virgin, given they don't use the same wiring network?

A dodgy Plusnet fibre connection (~18000/4500mbps) due to archiac internal wiring
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 02-Jan-20 14:16:56
Print Post

[re: SteveC] [link to this post]

If when signing up you tell them you want to transfer an existing phone number then this will trigger the cease system of the Plusnet side

i.e. its the request to port the number between the two networks that start a cease process

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Agilly666
(newbie) Thu 02-Jan-20 21:57:24
Print Post

[re: SteveC] [link to this post]

I am about to rejoin virgin with this deal ,real easy to implement onlne.
self install kit coming monday.
we tried nowtv broadband for a couple of months , price was good for 70mb/s ,service was ok as well. but now the speed has gone down the toilet , bt sport football buffers like crazy
hardly watchable.
Found virgin pretty good before so going back.
Standard User SteveC
(member) Fri 03-Jan-20 07:29:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If when signing up you tell them you want to transfer an existing phone number then this will trigger the cease system of the Plusnet side

i.e. its the request to port the number between the two networks that start a cease process

Thanks for your reply, MrSaffron.

It sounds as if asking Virgin to transfer our existing phone number from Plusnet would result in our Plusnet broadband being terminated at the same time, which would be great, because dealing with that myself is another stress I really don't need right now!

Managed to forget about that Virgin deal ending last night, so the £75 voucher or £50 off bill has ended, but the M100 internet and phone package looks to still be £27pcm and Topcashback are still offering £130 cashback for that package... Which effectively makes the M100 package ~£16pcm.

Might try tethering my mobile once again to the PC to test the Three speed and gaming latency, before signing up to Virgin, because their unlimited data/call/text SIMs are ~£18pcm and it would make our hopeful house move this year at some point that little bit easier.

Edit: Just ran the Thinkbroadband speed test on Plusnet and then tethering Three mobile...
Plusnet 18.5Mbps d/l, 4.2Mbps u/l
Three 26.3Mbps d/l, 10.3Mbps u/l

That Three result is massively better than I got a month or so back in SO18, sadly not in my test history, but from memory the best I got was ~10Mbps d/l and ~1Mbps u/l (and other results were ~3Mbps d/l).

That speed result is a game changer, better than any speed test we've had through various BT network ISPs over the past ~13 years at this address. Not as quick as a potential ~100Mbps from Virgin, but offers portability including no issues as and when we hopefully move!

Done three Three speed tests over last ~45mins and they were all better than Plusnet result (although last one a few mins ago was only maginally beter).

A few games of Rocket League were mostly ok with latency roughly doubled to ~70ms, but I had a period where it spiked to over 100ms and caused a lag issues in a fast game.

A dodgy Plusnet fibre connection (~18000/4500mbps) due to archiac internal wiring

Edited by SteveC (Fri 03-Jan-20 08:28:02)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to