User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User DRW
(committed) Mon 06-Apr-20 11:59:20
Print Post

Unreliable connection for the last three or so days

[link to this post]

I use the Virgin broadband connection for streaming radio , streaming TV as well as broadband.

For the last three days the connection has been unreliable. The Virgin supplied modem is showing the flashing green bar.
I have powered cycled the modem and the connection returned for a short period and then it failed.

I have received no messages from Virgin informing me of any problems.

Is the modem unreliable - mine is about 2 years old. I live in the PO8 area.

I am connecting via 4G at the moment.

Thanks for any suggestions
Standard User DRW
(committed) Mon 06-Apr-20 15:29:43
Print Post

Re: Unreliable connection for the last three or so days

[re: DRW] [link to this post]

I think I have found the fault - the cable connection where the signal goes from the thick black cabele to the thinner white cable was not so good so I have tightened it up.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 06-Apr-20 16:41:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by DRW:
I think I have found the fault - the cable connection where the signal goes from the thick black cabele to the thinner white cable was not so good so I have tightened it up.
Good idea.

If you post on the Virgin Media forums, someone there will be able to help you check your signal levels on the SuperHub web page.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DRW
(committed) Thu 16-Apr-20 16:28:47
Print Post

I think (I hope) that I have got the problem solved.

On Easter Saturday morning I lost the internet /broadband service again. Rang Virgin and spoke to two people one asked if we had any disabled people in the house - Yes - my wife is deaf.
They said they would get someone out to check out the installation.

About an hour later an engineer arrived, he said he had checked out the street cabinet, adjusted something, put in a report that the doors of the cabinet were unlocked and the tape around the cabinet was not complete.

He checked out all the cable interfaces and then added a Technet FLD5W Digital Signal Conditioning Filter to the cable where it connects into the modem (Hub 3) calibrated the signal to get a more even signal and said to let them know if there were any more problems.

I was impressed at the speed of the response and the actions taken by the employee.

So far so good.

Edited by DRW (Thu 16-Apr-20 16:30:20)

Print Thread

Jump to