User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User copycat29
(newbie) Wed 06-May-20 15:54:25
Print Post

Two completely separate Virgin Media services in same house?

[link to this post]

Hi guys Virgin Media just got installed in my area and my step dad and mum got Virgin Media line+fiber broadband recently installed for there own use.
I live with them, my parents and have my own phone line and broadband which is the bill payer for as it's my own account and in my name.
I wanted to move to Virgin Media fiber broadband but it seems you I cant since there's already Virgin Media in the house and it seems you can't
have two different account separate installs in the same house.

Is this correct and so I am screwed and so I can't get Virgin Media for myself?

I currently have normal line+fiber broadband to the cabinet from iTalk which is [censored] and no where near as good as Virgin Media. I really hope there's some way I could get in for myself despite there already is Virgin Media in the house.

I am only wanting the fiber broadband only, no phone line needed.

Thanks for the help and assistance.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-May-20 16:03:09
Print Post

Re: Two completely separate Virgin Media services in same ho

[re: copycat29] [link to this post]

In short no.

The iTalk service what are the connected speeds? It may be switching provider might fix some things that are not great with it e.g. if modem connected at 45 Mbps but at peak times you are only seeing 15 Mbps then switching provider is likely to improve things.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User copycat29
(newbie) Wed 06-May-20 16:09:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
In short no.

The iTalk service what are the connected speeds? It may be switching provider might fix some things that are not great with it e.g. if modem connected at 45 Mbps but at peak times you are only seeing 15 Mbps then switching provider is likely to improve things.

The connected speeds iTalk is [censored] at 30mbps due to me living quite far from my cabinet. Since Virgin Media broadband is full fiber I will be able to get 362Mbps and more because my step dad and mums install can get than and the Virgin Media cabinet is just outside our house basically.

Edited by copycat29 (Wed 06-May-20 16:16:45)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-May-20 16:20:36
Print Post

NOTE: Only around 600,000 of the Virgin Network which is actually 15 million in size are actually full fibre.

The bit that means much higher speeds is the coax DOCSIS network in the street for the majority.

Only way you'll get Virgin Media would be to go and get the property declared as two seperate properties, with all the council tax implications etc

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-May-20 16:54:12
Print Post

Why can't you use the VM wifi that your parents have?

If they actually get 365 mbps then even half that would be more than suitable for most people.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
ISP Representative uno
(isp) Wed 06-May-20 17:34:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by copycat29:
Is this correct and so I am screwed and so I can't get Virgin Media for myself?

If their systems are the same as how they used to be, each address was given a (numeric) reference and the account number used to be that reference + the instance of service at the property. 01 first, 02 second and so on.

This prevented them being able to have two accounts at one address entity.

Technically network side there is nothing which prevents this.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
uno Speedtest
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User gary333
(committed) Wed 06-May-20 20:14:42
Print Post

Order a line via virgin media business. I think this gets around the issue.
Standard User lincsat
(regular) Thu 07-May-20 14:10:32
Print Post

Do a search for VM Voom (Business Broadband) then tell them you're a sole trader working from home.
Standard User Rickydg
(newbie) Tue 19-May-20 15:46:44
Print Post

If your area is just receiving Virgin coverage now, it is likely RFoG not coax. Each property is served by a dedicated Toby box with fibre ducting for one service. Unless the property is declared as multiple dwellings in land registry, then only one box will be provided per house at time of provision to the street. There is likely no action you could take to provision your own service seprerately due to this, business or not.
Standard User netizen_uk
(learned) Wed 10-Jun-20 06:44:51
Print Post

[re: Rickydg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Rickydg:
If your area is just receiving Virgin coverage now, it is likely RFoG not coax. Each property is served by a dedicated Toby box with fibre ducting for one service. Unless the property is declared as multiple dwellings in land registry, then only one box will be provided per house at time of provision to the street. There is likely no action you could take to provision your own service seprerately due to this, business or not.

I am unaware of the RFoG method however on coax I can confirm that a residential service can coexist with a business service in the same numbered property. You still have only one box in the property, then a single short coax followed by a splitter that then terminate to two Virgin routers (attention need to be paid to attenuators used).
  Print Thread

Jump to