User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Jul-20 20:09:29
Print Post

M500 VM or wait for Gig1 VM

[link to this post]

I am now considering of having cable broadband standalone should I go for M500 VM or best to wait for Gig1 VM?

I think overall, Gig1 VM are better option because of Hub 4, docsis 3.1, better reliable network! But Gig1 not available in my area yet.

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014

Edited by adslmax (Tue 07-Jul-20 20:10:03)

Standard User gary333
(committed) Tue 07-Jul-20 20:18:00
Print Post

Re: M500 VM or wait for Gig1 VM

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Hang on, isn't this the company you have insulted hundreds of times over many sites and years to an obsessive degree?

If I was Virgin Media I would have ripped the cables, toby, and pipes out of the ground, torched the cabinet and flooded the chambers to prevent you from ever taking the service out.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Jul-20 20:19:21
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

Oh go away will ya

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 07-Jul-20 21:58:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by adslmax:
Oh go away will ya

You just signed a new contract with Plusnet less than a month ago so this would be a 2nd service.

What is it you need that your 80/20 FTTC doesn't provide?

I'm changing from Virgin FTTP 110/10Mb (latency and jitter on DOCSIS is horrendous) to 80/20 OpenReach FTTP as 80Mb is adequate for my needs. I'd rather have the 20Mb upload.

That's a house of 4, with 2 adults working from home, most of the TV we watch being steamed and a teenager who games and downloads huge updates.

I'd have stayed on FTTC if I got 80/20 like you.

You ordered Virgin not too long ago and cancelled within the cooling off period because you weren't happy with it.
You've ordered and cancelled G.Fast umpteen times.

Save your money, you don't need Ultrafast broadband for bragging rights.
You get great speed at the moment.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 07-Jul-20 22:13:32
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

If I had FTTP in the area, I would move from VM. Only 7 months into my contract and I’m not worried by latency (not a gamer) but need stability. My old Plusnet FTTC was rock solid, but upload was incredibly slow, which now in these video-call heavy times would have been impossible.

VM’s Hub 4 may have similar issues that the Hub 3 had during the first few years with the Puma chipset, which is bad news for anyone buying Gig1 for gaming.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 07-Jul-20 22:14:55
Print Post

I think overall, Gig1 VM are better option because of Hub 4, docsis 3.1, better reliable network! But Gig1 not available in my area yet.

I think you need to read more on the failure modes of HFC networks, assuming you’re in an original area with coax (rather than a more recent RFoG area)

Standard User gary333
(committed) Tue 07-Jul-20 22:25:15
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
If I had FTTP in the area, I would move from VM. Only 7 months into my contract and I’m not worried by latency (not a gamer) but need stability. My old Plusnet FTTC was rock solid, but upload was incredibly slow, which now in these video-call heavy times would have been impossible.

VM’s Hub 4 may have similar issues that the Hub 3 had during the first few years with the Puma chipset, which is bad news for anyone buying Gig1 for gaming.

Do you mind me asking when you say stability, what type of issues do you get? I've had Virgin Media for 11 out of the last 13 years and I don't really see much of a difference apart from:

1) Historic issues with Youtube caching on VM servers being over subscribed leading to problems loading videos and multiple buffering for a month or so in 2014 & 2017
2) Having to reboot the router more often than BT (needed to be done every couple of weeks else it would just seem to freeze)
3) Occasionally power levels would increase causing issues with uploads freezing / poor speed. This turned out to be engineers moving the cables in the cabinet presumably to appease another customer (yet I was the first house on the run so should have been obvious the consequence of doing this).
4) Customer service, oh dear, oh dear. move along
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 07-Jul-20 22:29:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by gary333:
Do you mind me asking when you say stability, what type of issues do you get? I've had Virgin Media for 11 out of the last 13 years and I don't really see much of a difference apart from:

T3 and T4 timeouts, causing Hub to reboot randomly, two or 3 times a day. Either in modem mode or in router mode. Originally forum declined there was a fault as the power levels are good, but a BQM graph made them aware. Keeps kicking me off corporate VPN stack which is a pain to restore.

Happens more frequently when outside (cabled area) in direct sun/blue skies as we had at 8:30 this morning..... when I got disconnected. Since 10am its been grey skies and now raining, so not disconnected. Doubt this is a coincidence.

Have a tech coming tomorrow, but intermittent faults are always the worst to find.

Agree on your 4, and no idea on the rest, my cable goes through the wall, then down a riser installed before I moved into the block, and into the ground. There is a grid labelled “NTL” in the grass between the block and the road, which I assume is a connection point.

Edited by jchamier (Tue 07-Jul-20 22:30:27)

Standard User gary333
(committed) Tue 07-Jul-20 22:38:06
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:

T3 and T4 timeouts, causing Hub to reboot randomly, two or 3 times a day. Either in modem mode or in router mode. Originally forum declined there was a fault as the power levels are good, but a BQM graph made them aware. Keeps kicking me off corporate VPN stack which is a pain to restore.

Happens more frequently when outside (cabled area) in direct sun/blue skies as we had at 8:30 this morning..... when I got disconnected. Since 10am its been grey skies and now raining, so not disconnected. Doubt this is a coincidence.

Have a tech coming tomorrow, but intermittent faults are always the worst to find.

Agree on your 4, and no idea on the rest, my cable goes through the wall, then down a riser installed before I moved into the block, and into the ground. There is a grid labelled “NTL” in the grass between the block and the road, which I assume is a connection point.

I used to find if my upstream power level was high this would kick me off my works VPN. Anything above 51 always caused problems.

Luckily I never had any issues with the router re-booting itself.

What I do know is that when satellite cable was used it did impact the reliability of VM connection. I had some shotgun cable under the floor to the VM entry point. If I connected that it led to problems so abandoned that.

I also found that as my cable got cut (outside) multiple times over the years (as VM buried it literally under the turf and then "patched") the weather did seem to effect the power much more so than before any snips had been made. Wet weather was certainly poorer from a power level point of view (maybe water getting in to the join packs).

In my latest house I had VM for 1 year without a hitch, so makes me wonder the impact of old damaged cables. Although, as VM don't like to shut the cabinet doors having the equipment getting soaked all the time is also probably no good for it.

Edited by gary333 (Tue 07-Jul-20 22:40:17)

Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Wed 08-Jul-20 11:19:11
Print Post

Wait, it'll stop you moaning!

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 08-Jul-20 11:21:37
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Thanks. I suppose so. I stay with FTTC then. (until FTTP come along from Openreach and Plusnet in the future if it ever come then switch to FTTP)

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Jul-20 13:45:59
Print Post

In my latest house I had VM for 1 year without a hitch, so makes me wonder the impact of old damaged cables. Although, as VM don't like to shut the cabinet doors having the equipment getting soaked all the time is also probably no good for it.

Technician came today, realised immediately problem would be outside the home, and checked the cabinets. One of the connectors was apparently corroded, which to him explains the temperature changes causing the issue. So I've been moved to a new point, which is higher power, so he had to come in and fit an attenuator to keep the levels correct at the Hub. Fingers crossed that fixes it.

If FTTP ever appears here (I'm in a flat, so can't even pay for FTTPoD) then I would jump to get choice of ISP, but until the DOCSIS is giving me the upload needed for home working, which was never anticipated last Nov smile

Standard User CarlTSpeak
(member) Thu 09-Jul-20 00:09:06
Print Post

I am now considering of having cable broadband standalone should I go for M500 VM or best to wait for Gig1 VM?

Neither for much the same reasons you got rid of G.fast.

While I have 1.3 Gb/s at home and it's insanely quick it isn't something that's life changing in most use. Using a hard wired connection or more robust wireless will make more difference to browsing and I do not believe you're a heavy user.

The Gig1 product uses the same physical network as the rest, indeed exactly the same channels upstream which is where most of the problems occur with issues.

Believe you hate VM with a passion and cancelled their service within cooling off period last time you ordered from them.

You've cancelled 2 ultrafast services within weeks of getting them and had orders for another 2 rejected. You're on a 24 month term with a price and speed you're allegedly happy with, and aren't awash with cash.

Other than nice speed tests what would a £50 a month cable service do for you?

Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Jul-20 00:26:42
Print Post

[re: CarlTSpeak] [link to this post]

I better off stayed with PN FTTC.

PN FTTC 80/20 since 2014
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Jul-20 00:46:56
Print Post

Dude really!!

Think of the reasons you have had previously for leaving Virgin Media 'repeatedly' and avoid repeating yourself again.

On a serious note, I've had the Gigabit service with Virgin, after 10 years with Virgin Media services and honestly, it made no difference apart from the new hub 4 features a bunch of new bugs slowly being fixed with firmware updates,

I saw no improvements in day to day operations and that also included gaming and I never achieved 1Gbps and efforts to attempt it made everything become unstable or crash.

Despite being in an area with very good Virgin Media performance, I decided to move away and take a service on mobile broadband and wait out the rollout of FTTP, which although close is still potentially 12 months away and not in the ground.

Why I did this, because I have placated various issues with Virgin Media for many years and I've come to a point of wanting to move on.

Matt - Using Huawei B535-323 on EE Unlimited

10 years in Technical Customer Service, Construction Trades and Administration - Now I'm a Furloughed Chef

Edited by mlmclaren (Thu 09-Jul-20 01:16:15)

Standard User CarlTSpeak
(member) Thu 09-Jul-20 09:34:07
Print Post

I better off stayed with PN FTTC.

Good man. Better things to spend money on than speed tests, especially when it means more things to go wrong and cause stress.

Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to