User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MrSpeedyGonzales
(newbie) Tue 14-Jul-20 17:35:27
Print Post

Virgin media speeds vs distance?

[link to this post]

So the town of Shrewsbury is currently in the middle of a Virgin Media/Liberty fibre rollout and they're installing the infrastructure but I'm wondering how the speed vs distance thing works with Virgin Media?

A Virgin Media street cabinet has been installed about 140 meters away (not sure if they're planning to put any more in), what sort of download and upload speeds can I expect with this? The postcode checker doesn't show anything for my property yet so can't check there.

Also are they going to be using coaxial copper or full FTTP type cables between the cabinet and homes? Its all new infrastructure as this town doesn't have existing Virgin media presence.

Edited by MrSpeedyGonzales (Tue 14-Jul-20 17:39:16)

Standard User gary333
(committed) Tue 14-Jul-20 18:11:12
Print Post

Re: Virgin media speeds vs distance?

[re: MrSpeedyGonzales] [link to this post]

Regardless of what they use you can be assured you will get the full speed of whatever package you choose.
(newbie) Tue 14-Jul-20 18:16:57
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

Oh that's good to hear, I'm on a long Openreach FTTC line currently so distance has always been a huge factor for me.

So distance vs drop off isn't a thing with virgin media lines? Also what are the upload speeds like I've heard they're much lower than BT FTTC/P, is sync speed to the router even a thing with virgin media?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Jul-20 18:47:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSpeedyGonzales:
So distance vs drop off isn't a thing with virgin media lines? Also what are the upload speeds like I've heard they're much lower than BT FTTC/P, is sync speed to the router even a thing with virgin media?

Not in the same way, because they either use shielded coax (think USA cable TV) or fibre to your home, the distance isn't an issue. For upload speeds, there is a difference as the network is DOCSIS, mostly 3.0, and some areas are 3.1 for download only (where the Gig1 service is available)

DOCSIS, in a similar way to other networks, allocates more to download than upload. My Virgin Media M200 service is 200 Mbps download, and 20 Mbps upload. This is a product, everyone buying M200 gets these speeds anywhere in the town.

See -> https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/broadband...

M100 = 100 / 10
M200 = 200 / 20
M350 = 350 / 20
M500 = 500 / 36

Some of the packages give you a little more, so the 200 is actually often giving 220 for example.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Jul-20 18:50:07
Print Post

If all is well within the local area's network you will see the speed you pay for, upload speeds vary based on service, for example, 100mb service will only have a 10mb upload but the 350mb service is sold with 36mb upload speed...

Check this link for info: https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/speeds

Matt - Using Huawei B535-323 on EE Unlimited

10 years in Technical Customer Service, Construction Trades and Administration - Now I'm a Furloughed Chef
(newbie) Tue 14-Jul-20 20:04:52
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Thanks!

Looks like even the basic M50 package would wipe the floor with my current FTTC speeds. Its nice that they can offer guaranteed speeds without the "upto" caveats I've become accustomed to on a long line.

Edited by MrSpeedyGonzales (Tue 14-Jul-20 20:07:13)

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Jul-20 20:12:29
Print Post

Its a decent service if everythings working right.

However if your a gamer you may notice a difference as latency for such things can be hit and miss.

Matt - Using Huawei B535-323 on EE Unlimited

10 years in Technical Customer Service, Construction Trades and Administration - Now I'm a Furloughed Chef
(newbie) Tue 14-Jul-20 20:13:49
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

How much latency are we talking? On FTTC I've always had interleaving so 30ms+ to the next hop is the norm for me.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Jul-20 20:52:59
Print Post

How much latency are we talking?

Much more variable than FTTC, or even ADSL. See my BQM link in the signature.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Jul-20 22:30:42
Print Post

iirc the M50 does not exist anymore, its now the M100.

Virgin Media
Connection Speed: DL: 575Mbps UL: 38.5Mbps
Speed test: 550Mbps DL
Standard User danielhyde
(regular) Wed 15-Jul-20 10:06:45
Print Post

So the town of Shrewsbury is currently in the middle of a Virgin Media/Liberty fibre rollout and they're installing the infrastructure but I'm wondering how the speed vs distance thing works with Virgin Media?

A Virgin Media street cabinet has been installed about 140 meters away (not sure if they're planning to put any more in), what sort of download and upload speeds can I expect with this? The postcode checker doesn't show anything for my property yet so can't check there.

Also are they going to be using coaxial copper or full FTTP type cables between the cabinet and homes? Its all new infrastructure as this town doesn't have existing Virgin media presence.

if they're installing new cables they're probably installing fibre cables which aren't affected by length
Standard User gary333
(committed) Wed 15-Jul-20 13:26:24
Print Post

[re: Seansmit17] [link to this post]

As Virgin Media have no consistency on what they sell and when it does still exist, but only for BB & phone line.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Jul-20 14:35:11
Print Post

[re: danielhyde] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by danielhyde:
if they're installing new cables they're probably installing fibre cables which aren't affected by length

What they install depends on where they are installing it.

If it's an HFC/coax area and they are expanding that network then they will use coax to the premises. Mainly infill work doing streets that were missed on a previous rollout.

FTTP is usually used in new deployments, areas they are building a completely new network.

Neither coax or Fibre are affected by length in the same way OpenReach's twisted pair is.
Standard User gary333
(committed) Wed 15-Jul-20 16:17:20
Print Post

For reference new installations using HFC (copper) will only be up to a maximum of 150m of cable length from the cabinet to house. RG6 is used up to 100m and usually RG11 if over 100m (better quality coax). They will usually put another cabinet in if the distance exceeds 150m to properties they serve.

RG6 has a copper conductor diameter of 1mm, RG11 just over 2mm. In comparison BT is only usually 0.5mm diameter. Coax also has better insulation properties.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to