User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ImranQ
(regular) Tue 28-Jul-20 20:59:02
Print Post

1 Year VM discount contract coming to an end soon

[link to this post]

Hi friendly folks,
I signed up to Virgin Media on their M350 package. I have been getting charged £45 for 1 year but supposedly, I will start getting charged £67 from 9 October.

On their site they're offering £40 per month and then £56 .

I have a couple of questions....
1) Why the hell would I pay £67 when they're currently offering £56 as standard fee after the minimum period. Hell, even on a rolling 30 day contract they're charging £63 p/m. Surely this is taking the p!ss?

2) So for my final question, is it possible to move to a new contract.Has anyone managed to do this? Ideally I would like to stay with VM as the speeds are pretty amazing but am not scared to move back to 80 MB DSL if need be.

This is the page for their deals:
https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/broadband...

and the page to their 30 day rolling contracts:
https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/30-day-ro...

Many thanks for any help
Regards,
Imran
Standard User ashdown
(learned) Tue 28-Jul-20 21:18:36
Print Post

Re: 1 Year VM discount contract coming to an end soon

[re: ImranQ] [link to this post]

I was a VM customer for a number of years and my experience was that they simply don't have standard prices but charge as much as the customer will bear. Prices will rise, often twice a year, until the customer snaps, calls them and threatens to leave, when they will offer a much reduced price on a new contract.

Eventually, I found the whole renegotiation-every-year process just too tedious and went elsewhere. Technically, the service was absolutely fine but I really disliked their pricing strategy.

So, to answer your Q2, I'd wait until the minimum contracted period is almost up, then call them to negotiate. If necessary, give them notice to terminate. They will then call you back a couple of days later with a new offer.

Edited by ashdown (Tue 28-Jul-20 21:21:32)

Standard User ImranQ
(regular) Tue 28-Jul-20 21:39:32
Print Post

[re: ashdown] [link to this post]

Thank-you for your feedback. I figured that was the case as a friend who had cable TV with them had exactly the same issue - that they'd increase their prices after the contract period and then offer discount and additional bundles to keep her on! I wasnt sure if the same happened with the broadband as well.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User treforh
(newbie) Thu 30-Jul-20 12:53:02
Print Post

[re: ImranQ] [link to this post]

If you read the postings on the VM Community Forum I think you will find that they are slowly moving away form the "threaten to leave and they will call you back with a better offer strategy". So if you give notice to leave then make sure you are prepared to leave. I live some distance from my OR FTTC cabinet and struggled to get 20Mbps down. So FTTH from VM (via Project Lightning) was way beyond anything an OR based ISP could offer me. So I do negotiate each year, but I will not be threatening to leave.
  Print Thread

Jump to