User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User anthonyshapley
(newbie) Thu 10-Sep-20 14:52:27
Print Post

Virgin Media Business - Packet Loss Issues

[link to this post]

Hi there,

I have been using the broadband ping monitoring service ThinkBroadband provides for the last 3 days monitoring my account, due to continuous intermittent connectivity for the last 2 weeks or so.

Really looking for some advice on what might be causing this?

Link to the monitoring:
My Broadband Ping

I haven't observed any pattern to this happening, it seems random - though does seem to worsen in the evenings.

If I call Virgin's support they have blamed it on my own hardware (which I have since replaced), but typically just inform me the line has remained connected to them and see they see no issues with it.

If I login to the Hitron Router, both the Line & GRE Tunnel are connected. They did have some issues with the GRE Tunnel on Sunday/Monday and we experienced a full 12 hour outage.

I've seen on some other forums people posting signal information from the modem, happy to share this if anyone might be able to help me diagnose what is actually wrong?

Thanks in advanced for taking the time to read and any ideas you may have.

Cheers,
Ant
Standard User nameGoesHere
(newbie) Mon 28-Sep-20 17:29:34
Print Post

Re: Virgin Media Business - Packet Loss Issues

[re: anthonyshapley] [link to this post]

I've seen the same on my business connection. I've actually decided to move away from the business product as the level of service isnt very good. The SLA isn't enforced and I've been weeks without internet for weeks at a time.

The residential services seem cheaper and faster so I finally decided to give up on their business offering. Esp as recently the exact same issue you describe have annoyingly made the service not fit for purpose, for me it's been the straw that's broken the camel's back.
Standard User gary333
(experienced) Mon 28-Sep-20 18:49:11
Print Post

I don't know a great deal about this subject, however your broadband quality monitoring graph appears to look pretty good for Virgin. For example here is my FTTC connection today which has higher packet loss and similar amount of maximum latency.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jacko0
(learned) Mon 28-Sep-20 21:53:32
Print Post

Sad to say but that seems to be normal. Here's a Virgin quality monitor, looks very similar to yours.
Virgin Quality Monitor
Standard User MattL
(newbie) Mon 28-Sep-20 22:18:38
Print Post

That is good, this one is mine from Friday which is a fairly typical day at home at the moment.

Friday's monitor

Generally have to restart several times a week to get any use out of it. The bit between 1 and 3 is a Teams meeting, quality of it was shocking too.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Sep-20 22:24:03
Print Post

[re: MattL] [link to this post]

I don’t know the Hitron, but if it similar to the Hub for residential users, check for a network log. See if you have T3 or T4 timeout messages, or Sync Lost messages. If you are getting those, then you are losing connection on the coax in the street, between your home and Virgin’s head end. Send the logs to customer services and demand a technician look at the cabling.

They can’t be fixed by phone calls.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User markieb
(newbie) Mon 28-Sep-20 22:36:13
Print Post

Yeah, pretty much the same here.
I'm definately jumping ship too, had to give up on their pathetic excuse for fixed IP.
Getting worse all the time, packet loss, latency, timeouts. It never ends frown
Can't run a business on that [email protected]

My Graph

Edited by markieb (Mon 28-Sep-20 22:37:58)

(newbie) Tue 29-Sep-20 09:26:37
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Thank you for this information - yes I am experiencing this. I want to follow up to the whole thread in more detail.
(newbie) Tue 29-Sep-20 10:25:38
Print Post

So, just to follow up - after a lot of kicking off at Virgin's support, an Engineer in Plymouth rang me and explained that all businesses in the local area were experiencing the same issue, they couldn't replicate it as it was to do with the GRE Tunnel, which is used for the Static IP allocation/routing.

However the Engineer on the call said he had witnessed this intermittent connection issue and it was likely a switch - could I texted him every time it went down/up - as I am experiencing 100% packet loss for 5-30 seconds every few hours.

Eventually he announced we've found it, its a single faulty switch - its been swapped out let me know how you get on. For the last week, my internet has been solid speed wise and persistent in terms of connection.

Sunday - the whole issue has resurfaced and I'm back at square one. I think they are fully aware of what the issues are. But perhaps the 1st line technical support are not. And instead every time you call through you get told to reboot the router lol and make sure your wifi signal is strong (I'm ethernet baby) hah.

Anyway - that is a full update on whats been going on. I'm guessing since there was a whole bunch of replies last night out of nowhere, other people were also experiencing issues last night?
Standard User markieb
(newbie) Tue 29-Sep-20 13:51:09
Print Post

They have known about the issues with the GRE tunnel for years.
Their sales staff actually tried to talk me out of it when I was signing up, but fixed IP's were essential at the time.

Their entire infrastructure running it is not fit for purpose. The technicians I had around constantly said they have nothing but problems with it, and that I would be better off going back to a basic account (and still paying the business price) and drop the fixed IP's.

I had to eventually dump their Fixed IP's and go back to a basic account to get it stable just to stay connected.
I had to take a separate FTTC connection with ENTA.net for my fixed IP's.
The Virgin line is now just there as a backup and to do the heavy lifting when I need the extra speed.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to