User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Thu 19-Nov-20 00:08:26
Print Post

Is VM Coming?.

[link to this post]

Was out and about around my local town the other day and noticed virgin media was doing construction works, assumed it was cityfibre as they are heavily about in my local town right now laying cables, but to my surprise it was virgin media, had a word with the workmen asking if virgin media was coming to town and they said yes jut couldn’t make out much more they was dying cause of noise etc, well been wanting virgin media to come town for years now where I used to live we had it about 15 years ago, do virgin media work with cityfibre at all as it seems a coincidence seeing virgin media now cityfibre have started laying cables around town, another thing as well virgin media only seem to be present in a few roads and only a few roads, I’ve looked on roadworks online to see if they are working anywhere else and they are not, is this normal, I would of thought if virgin media was coming to town they would have there work people laying cables all over and not just a few roads, which makes me think maybe they are only doing that area but surely this isn’t the case?.

Thanks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 19-Nov-20 00:40:48
Print Post

Re: Is VM Coming?.

[re: tomxlisa] [link to this post]

Virgin Media does not use or work with the CityFIbre network.

They do sometimes appear in a small area, and then later on expand the footprint

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Thu 19-Nov-20 00:58:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Just seemed strange that virgin media have never bothered with this town been waiting about 15 years for them to come here even though they are in towns literally 8 miles away but they show there face when cityfibre start creating there network here so thought it had something to do with that, would you say my town is definitely gonna get virgin media then even though it’s only a select few streets right now, how long does it normally take from them installing cables in the street to showing up on the virgin media website to be able to order, I’ll keep an eye on the post codes for where I saw them laying cables and keep checking to see if the services go live at any point, just hope they do expand as I’m miles away from where they are working at the moment, I would of thought like you say they would though, wouldn’t be worth just doing a few streets would it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 19-Nov-20 09:24:24
Print Post

Recent example one block of flats in middle of Milton Keynes now has Virgin Media no other properties in the town

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Thu 19-Nov-20 13:40:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Strange why they would do that wouldn’t think it would be financially viable to just bring it to a select few roads/flats, surely you would think if they are bringing there services to a new town they would cover it to allow everyone access too it, I mean we didn’t have cityfibre and they started work about 6 months ago and have almost covered the whole town with fibre cables, or is this how virgin media work, do a little part of the town and then expend from there onwards, hope that’s the case as I want the services where I am based.
Standard User jamie1985
(newbie) Thu 19-Nov-20 21:11:54
Print Post

Yeah they did half our street back in 2016 and retuned to finish it all of around 2018.. you will see them dig accross the pavments and normally have virgin media sign at the start fo the street.

They seem to be expanding a lot more for 2021

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Thu 19-Nov-20 21:55:59
Print Post

[re: jamie1985] [link to this post]

Yeah there was a sign at the start of the street saying virgin media is laying cables and the workers had tops on saying virgin media coming soon to this area, how long will it be before services are active in that area then?, I just hope they cover the whole of the town eventually and not just that small area otherwise what’s the point in coming to town if there only gonna service the small area there currently laying cables in.
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 20-Nov-20 08:58:57
Print Post

Virgin Media also sell business leased lines, so it's possible they could be digging to make a few leased line connections - which are much more profitable than home Internet/TV.

What exactly does one.network say in the description for the works? Sometimes the wording makes it clearer what they're doing.
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Fri 20-Nov-20 18:44:46
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Yeah that might explain it then sounds more like what it could be even though I’m hoping not as would like virgin media services all over the town would be nice, I’ve just checked and some of the descriptions are below.

(excavate and install subduct and cabinets and chambers for VM...)

(Excavate and install 309m subduct, chambers and cabinets on behalf of Virgin Media...)

(Excavate and install 865m of subduct and cabinets and chambers for VM...)
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Sat 21-Nov-20 18:27:12
Print Post

So does this information give any ideas to it being business or not?.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to