User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Tue 24-Nov-20 00:16:31
Print Post

Re: Is VM Coming?.

[re: tomxlisa] [link to this post]

Just bumping this post as still waiting to hear about the info that I supplied, still wondering if this could be business or is residential like the other poster said it could be business, info supplied so any ideas?. Thanks.
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Tue 24-Nov-20 22:13:33
Print Post

This is the type of cabinets I am seeing where they are doing work now.

https://www.google.com/search?q=virgin+media+cabinet...
Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Nov-20 13:26:26
Print Post

That is the type of cabinet they installed when they rolled out in our area. If you look closely to the right of the cabinet you'll see a black thing in the pavement, this is called a Toby and is where each property is connected. There is normally one per two properties, sometimes one per house. If you have these installed then it is definitely being rolled out.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Sat 28-Nov-20 02:02:10
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

I will take another look at the cabinet when I next go past it to see if it has those black things you’re talking about, I’ll probably take a photo, only thing that’s baffling me the most is the fact they are only working in a few roads right now, when I look on one networks for road works around my town they are literally just in one little area and I’ve scanned the rest of the town and they are nowhere else, which I do find odd, I would assume they would be all over if they was rolling out their network to the town, a bit like cityfibre are right now, they are rolling out newly here in the town and are literally working everywhere.
Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Nov-20 09:09:29
Print Post

There will need to be a Toby outside every property (not just next to the grey box) , or one between every two properties. On a fresh installation it will be very easy to see as there will be signs that a approximately 6" wide trench has been dug along the pavement with black tobys installed at or between each property.

On one network have you changed the time period from one day to two weeks, or even better 12 months which requires free registration?

If you have the option to go for City fibre then I'd take that any day over Virgin Media, speaking from personal experience VM's support is astoundingly poor, with a complete lack of technical understanding, if I had a better option I would not use VM.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 28-Nov-20 15:47:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
if I had a better option I would not use VM.

Seconded. If either OR or an AltNet turn up here offering FTTP, I would switch immediately.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Sun 29-Nov-20 06:35:10
Print Post

I will go up to the area where virgin media is being installed and maybe take some photos and show on here, if I can’t see what you have all mentioned on here, and I’ve just looked on one networks website and I put 12 months in and virgin media is still only showing in the same small area where it is now, the only other one I can see loads of is cityfibre they seem to be absolutely everywhere which is what I would expect to see if a new service is being rolled out, virgin media literally seem to be in about 10 roads which I find so strange, maybe that’s how they start off and they then expand from the network they have built there and start to covet the whole town, would you say this is normal experience from what you’ve seen in your own town, also I’m guessing cityfibre is basically vodafone and talk talk as they are the only operators using cityfibre at the moment as from what I have read I’m guessing cityfibre isn’t actually the isp and they just lay the cables for the isps to use, I guess if I ever had the choice between cityfibre services and virgin media then I could weigh up the pros and cons at the time but yeah I guess there isn’t much between them, to be fair if virgin media didn’t come to my area I wouldn’t be too cheesed off as I know cityfibre have installed cables right outside my house but would be good to have the choice between the both.
Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Nov-20 09:26:29
Print Post

To be honest I cant really remember how wide spread the works were, I think they were pretty wide spread, but that would depend on how many contractors they have available.

This thread covers our build https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,19668.0.html

Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Sun 29-Nov-20 10:30:08
Print Post

Some have mentioned on here that maybe virgin media are just doing those select roads, maybe for business or something but saying that there isn’t any businesses around that area, I did try speaking to the guys on site but I couldn’t really make much out from them, there was loud noises and I don’t think they spoke english too well either, otherwise I probably would of got a lot more out of them, I can’t really see them just doing 5% of the town so I guess it’ll just be a wait and see with this one.
Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Nov-20 13:43:10
Print Post

They will be just subcontractors doing a particular job, doubt they'll know what's going on elsewhere. Asking engineers/subcontractors on the street is a mistake a lot of people make, often they have no idea, or very little idea what the bigger picture is. Even once it's installed in the street it could be many months before it's live.

What town are you in?

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to