User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Thu 19-Nov-20 00:08:26
Print Post

Is VM Coming?.

[link to this post]

Was out and about around my local town the other day and noticed virgin media was doing construction works, assumed it was cityfibre as they are heavily about in my local town right now laying cables, but to my surprise it was virgin media, had a word with the workmen asking if virgin media was coming to town and they said yes jut couldn’t make out much more they was dying cause of noise etc, well been wanting virgin media to come town for years now where I used to live we had it about 15 years ago, do virgin media work with cityfibre at all as it seems a coincidence seeing virgin media now cityfibre have started laying cables around town, another thing as well virgin media only seem to be present in a few roads and only a few roads, I’ve looked on roadworks online to see if they are working anywhere else and they are not, is this normal, I would of thought if virgin media was coming to town they would have there work people laying cables all over and not just a few roads, which makes me think maybe they are only doing that area but surely this isn’t the case?.

Thanks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 19-Nov-20 00:40:48
Print Post

Re: Is VM Coming?.

[re: tomxlisa] [link to this post]

Virgin Media does not use or work with the CityFIbre network.

They do sometimes appear in a small area, and then later on expand the footprint

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Thu 19-Nov-20 00:58:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Just seemed strange that virgin media have never bothered with this town been waiting about 15 years for them to come here even though they are in towns literally 8 miles away but they show there face when cityfibre start creating there network here so thought it had something to do with that, would you say my town is definitely gonna get virgin media then even though it’s only a select few streets right now, how long does it normally take from them installing cables in the street to showing up on the virgin media website to be able to order, I’ll keep an eye on the post codes for where I saw them laying cables and keep checking to see if the services go live at any point, just hope they do expand as I’m miles away from where they are working at the moment, I would of thought like you say they would though, wouldn’t be worth just doing a few streets would it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 19-Nov-20 09:24:24
Print Post

Recent example one block of flats in middle of Milton Keynes now has Virgin Media no other properties in the town

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Thu 19-Nov-20 13:40:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Strange why they would do that wouldn’t think it would be financially viable to just bring it to a select few roads/flats, surely you would think if they are bringing there services to a new town they would cover it to allow everyone access too it, I mean we didn’t have cityfibre and they started work about 6 months ago and have almost covered the whole town with fibre cables, or is this how virgin media work, do a little part of the town and then expend from there onwards, hope that’s the case as I want the services where I am based.
Standard User jamie1985
(newbie) Thu 19-Nov-20 21:11:54
Print Post

Yeah they did half our street back in 2016 and retuned to finish it all of around 2018.. you will see them dig accross the pavments and normally have virgin media sign at the start fo the street.

They seem to be expanding a lot more for 2021

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Thu 19-Nov-20 21:55:59
Print Post

[re: jamie1985] [link to this post]

Yeah there was a sign at the start of the street saying virgin media is laying cables and the workers had tops on saying virgin media coming soon to this area, how long will it be before services are active in that area then?, I just hope they cover the whole of the town eventually and not just that small area otherwise what’s the point in coming to town if there only gonna service the small area there currently laying cables in.
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 20-Nov-20 08:58:57
Print Post

Virgin Media also sell business leased lines, so it's possible they could be digging to make a few leased line connections - which are much more profitable than home Internet/TV.

What exactly does one.network say in the description for the works? Sometimes the wording makes it clearer what they're doing.
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Fri 20-Nov-20 18:44:46
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Yeah that might explain it then sounds more like what it could be even though I’m hoping not as would like virgin media services all over the town would be nice, I’ve just checked and some of the descriptions are below.

(excavate and install subduct and cabinets and chambers for VM...)

(Excavate and install 309m subduct, chambers and cabinets on behalf of Virgin Media...)

(Excavate and install 865m of subduct and cabinets and chambers for VM...)
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Sat 21-Nov-20 18:27:12
Print Post

So does this information give any ideas to it being business or not?.
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Tue 24-Nov-20 00:16:31
Print Post

Just bumping this post as still waiting to hear about the info that I supplied, still wondering if this could be business or is residential like the other poster said it could be business, info supplied so any ideas?. Thanks.
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Tue 24-Nov-20 22:13:33
Print Post

This is the type of cabinets I am seeing where they are doing work now.

https://www.google.com/search?q=virgin+media+cabinet...
Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Nov-20 13:26:26
Print Post

That is the type of cabinet they installed when they rolled out in our area. If you look closely to the right of the cabinet you'll see a black thing in the pavement, this is called a Toby and is where each property is connected. There is normally one per two properties, sometimes one per house. If you have these installed then it is definitely being rolled out.

Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Sat 28-Nov-20 02:02:10
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

I will take another look at the cabinet when I next go past it to see if it has those black things you’re talking about, I’ll probably take a photo, only thing that’s baffling me the most is the fact they are only working in a few roads right now, when I look on one networks for road works around my town they are literally just in one little area and I’ve scanned the rest of the town and they are nowhere else, which I do find odd, I would assume they would be all over if they was rolling out their network to the town, a bit like cityfibre are right now, they are rolling out newly here in the town and are literally working everywhere.
Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Nov-20 09:09:29
Print Post

There will need to be a Toby outside every property (not just next to the grey box) , or one between every two properties. On a fresh installation it will be very easy to see as there will be signs that a approximately 6" wide trench has been dug along the pavement with black tobys installed at or between each property.

On one network have you changed the time period from one day to two weeks, or even better 12 months which requires free registration?

If you have the option to go for City fibre then I'd take that any day over Virgin Media, speaking from personal experience VM's support is astoundingly poor, with a complete lack of technical understanding, if I had a better option I would not use VM.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 28-Nov-20 15:47:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
if I had a better option I would not use VM.

Seconded. If either OR or an AltNet turn up here offering FTTP, I would switch immediately.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Sun 29-Nov-20 06:35:10
Print Post

I will go up to the area where virgin media is being installed and maybe take some photos and show on here, if I can’t see what you have all mentioned on here, and I’ve just looked on one networks website and I put 12 months in and virgin media is still only showing in the same small area where it is now, the only other one I can see loads of is cityfibre they seem to be absolutely everywhere which is what I would expect to see if a new service is being rolled out, virgin media literally seem to be in about 10 roads which I find so strange, maybe that’s how they start off and they then expand from the network they have built there and start to covet the whole town, would you say this is normal experience from what you’ve seen in your own town, also I’m guessing cityfibre is basically vodafone and talk talk as they are the only operators using cityfibre at the moment as from what I have read I’m guessing cityfibre isn’t actually the isp and they just lay the cables for the isps to use, I guess if I ever had the choice between cityfibre services and virgin media then I could weigh up the pros and cons at the time but yeah I guess there isn’t much between them, to be fair if virgin media didn’t come to my area I wouldn’t be too cheesed off as I know cityfibre have installed cables right outside my house but would be good to have the choice between the both.
Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Nov-20 09:26:29
Print Post

To be honest I cant really remember how wide spread the works were, I think they were pretty wide spread, but that would depend on how many contractors they have available.

This thread covers our build https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,19668.0.html

Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Sun 29-Nov-20 10:30:08
Print Post

Some have mentioned on here that maybe virgin media are just doing those select roads, maybe for business or something but saying that there isn’t any businesses around that area, I did try speaking to the guys on site but I couldn’t really make much out from them, there was loud noises and I don’t think they spoke english too well either, otherwise I probably would of got a lot more out of them, I can’t really see them just doing 5% of the town so I guess it’ll just be a wait and see with this one.
Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Nov-20 13:43:10
Print Post

They will be just subcontractors doing a particular job, doubt they'll know what's going on elsewhere. Asking engineers/subcontractors on the street is a mistake a lot of people make, often they have no idea, or very little idea what the bigger picture is. Even once it's installed in the street it could be many months before it's live.

What town are you in?

Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Mon 30-Nov-20 00:31:29
Print Post

Yeah I assumed that to be fair, it was just a bit of pot luck really asking them if they knew anything else, wouldn’t exactly say it’s a mistake by asking, to be honest what other avenues are there to find out more information, it’s very slim really, calling virgin media I doubt you’d get anymore out of them than I got out of the guys on the streets, just would be nice to know why they are so minimal in what they are doing and why they are not all over the town like cityfibre are, I’m guessing though that they will do area by area that’s all I can think of, the town is Lowestoft.
Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Mon 30-Nov-20 10:19:08
Print Post

The mistake is that you'd have idea whether what told you was genuine information, unless you' manage to speak to a surveyor or project manager.

Looking on the one network it does indeed look like a roll out for that area, may be they are just short on suitable contractors especially with City Fibre roll lout.

Standard User gary333
(experienced) Mon 30-Nov-20 10:29:09
Print Post

My borther works for a contractor who installs both Virgin Media and CityFibre. Maybe the contractors are just making easier for themselves and doing the work around the same time. Saves time in hotels for the workers that way smile
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Mon 30-Nov-20 22:29:30
Print Post

Yeah I did try and speak to a project manager but there wasn’t one there I don’t think but like I said they didn’t speak great English as well which didn’t help at all, but like the other poster said apparently contractors do the work for virgin media and cityfibre so maybe virgin media are gonna go over where cityfibre have been but I don’t know, ain’t a clue how it all works, thanks for having a look though to be fair there have been a few more roads added from when I last looked, I’m just quite concerned that when you change it to 12 months there isn’t any other signs of virgin media in the area, but like you say maybe they are short on contractors at the minute with cityfibre rolling out heavy in the area, so from what you seen on the one networks site would you definitely say virgin media are rolling out their network here?.
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Mon 30-Nov-20 22:30:36
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

Yes maybe it’s just strange how cityfibre are literally everywhere yet virgin media are only doing a small area at the moment.
Standard User R0NSKI
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Dec-20 10:16:30
Print Post

From what I've seen I would say there is certainly a VM rollout, some of the existing roadworks appear to be a dead streets, and they cover quite a big area so in my limited opinion I think it's more than just a single line for a one off customer.

Don't forget very few road works will be planned 12 months in advance, especially ones which are likely to change - it costs money to apply for roadworks permits.

Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Tue 01-Dec-20 12:34:46
Print Post

Yeah exactly what I think then that it has to be a VM rollout just was concerned about the limited roads they are doing but like you say they might just not be showing on one networks at the moment, I think it’s because there is so much activity with cityfibre as they are rolling out their services here I am expecting VM to be the same as in activity wise, cause surely if VM are bringing services to the town like cityfibre are then the activity should be the same, but again maybe contractors are limited at the minute for VM or maybe they just haven’t planned the next area, I guess I’ll have to keep an eye on it and see how it all progresses, hopefully they start showing more activity in a wider area than just the select small area they are in at the moment.
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Fri 08-Jan-21 21:07:37
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

It seems parts of my town are offering virgin media services now, just not the area I am in, hopefully as they are new to the town they eventually get to my part of the town what’s the chances of this happening, I know there new to the town so will take time to cover it, it’s just annoying when my sister can get the services now but me who lives 5 mins in the car from her can’t get it, I’m hoping to see them digging up roads near me very soon. 😂🤞
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Jan-21 13:01:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by tomxlisa:
It seems parts of my town are offering virgin media services now, just not the area I am in, hopefully as they are new to the town they eventually get to my part of the town what’s the chances of this happening, I know there new to the town so will take time to cover it, it’s just annoying when my sister can get the services now but me who lives 5 mins in the car from her can’t get it, I’m hoping to see them digging up roads near me very soon. 😂🤞

In my area they started at 1 end of the town and worked their way across to the other end.

It was split in 2, with only half the town appearing on the roadworks website.

Once the 1st half was nearing completion and already accepting orders for most, Virgin then listed the 2nd half on the roadworks site.
There was 6-12 months between the 2 halves of the town being able to order.

Check the one.network website to see if they have roadworks planned in your street.
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Sat 09-Jan-21 16:24:11
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Cheers for the reply, yeah I’ve been keeping a eye on the road works website and nothing showing in my area right now, all the works are happening on one estate and in the centre of town, that seems to be the only places it’s showing on the road works site at the moment, surely virgin will cover the entire town eventually though as it doesn’t make good business sense not to surely, it’s just annoying as I’ve been waiting 15 years for virgin to come to my town and it’s just my luck that they start building where I don’t live, my 2 sisters can get the services now but there not interested as they have just signed contracts with current provider yet I want it and I can’t get, typical hey.

Edited by tomxlisa (Sat 09-Jan-21 16:26:51)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to