User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Saltank
(committed) Fri 22-Jan-21 11:14:27
Print Post

Leaving VMB soon

[link to this post]

Have been with VMB for nearly 2 years, with Zen FTTC before that. Minor rant incoming...

I have recently placed an order for Zen again, as I am fed up with Virgin Media having random outages like this every few weeks, upload speeds dropping to 10Mbps during peak times (especially prominent during the lockdowns) and weird unexplained latency issues which aren't directly related to the Puma6 bugs.

I think it has been a good run, I am absolutely going to miss the really fast download speeds and better upload speeds, but the amount of time spent 'troubleshooting' it is beyond excessive now.

I think the level of service I got from VMB when calling tech support has been excellent, and they do try, so I will give them that. They have even refunded a part of the bill last year when my uploads were crippled to 3Mbit.

Having read numerous opinions and news articles, I am going back to FTTC which will be slower but probably more stable/reliable.

I do hope VM stop giving people modems with Puma6/7 which seems to have been plagued with issues even though they claim they've been fixed... one issue in particular which is incredibly hard to diagnose/prove is using Stadia, even when plugged directly into the modem, produces what appears to be buffer jitter/stuttering.

I can't say these latency issues are as severe as many others on these forums or elsewhere, they are in fact probably quite minor, but it's hard to justify the price for 550/35Mbit and know that there's just something wrong with it.

Good luck to all of you VM users, I will keep checking in and hoping maybe one day VM will fix their network smile
Standard User Stanman_24
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Jan-21 11:58:49
Print Post

Re: Leaving VMB soon

[re: Saltank] [link to this post]

Signed up after leaving oomph package few months back -- 500 / 35 £42 quid a month

Done a speedtest every day and between 9am and 10pm it doesnt go above 400mb

I am leaving with my 14 day cooling off period as I cant stand the slow loading pages and random issues

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

I also have a idnet fttc connection syncing at around 67MB

Have placed an order with ZEN for FTTP 500/70, waiting 4 months for an engineer visit

KRO BCFC smile
Standard User steve195527
(member) Fri 22-Jan-21 12:28:31
Print Post

[re: Stanman_24] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Stanman_24:
Signed up after leaving oomph package few months back -- 500 / 35 £42 quid a month

I am leaving with my 14 day cooling off period as I cant stand the slow loading pages and random issues

Have placed an order with ZEN for FTTP 500/70, waiting 4 months for an engineer visit

have you not tried asking idnet about the fttp service and whether they would match the zen pricing?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User steve195527
(member) Fri 22-Jan-21 12:38:20
Print Post

[re: Saltank] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Saltank:
Have been with VMB for nearly 2 years, with Zen FTTC before that. Minor rant incoming...

I have recently placed an order for Zen again, as I am fed up with Virgin Media having random outages like this every few weeks, upload speeds dropping to 10Mbps during peak times (especially prominent during the lockdowns) and weird unexplained latency issues which aren't directly related to the Puma6 bugs.

I think it has been a good run, I am absolutely going to miss the really fast download speeds and better upload speeds, but the amount of time spent 'troubleshooting' it is beyond excessive now.

I think the level of service I got from VMB when calling tech support has been excellent, and they do try, so I will give them that. They have even refunded a part of the bill last year when my uploads were crippled to 3Mbit.

Having read numerous opinions and news articles, I am going back to FTTC which will be slower but probably more stable/reliable.

I do hope VM stop giving people modems with Puma6/7 which seems to have been plagued with issues even though they claim they've been fixed... one issue in particular which is incredibly hard to diagnose/prove is using Stadia, even when plugged directly into the modem, produces what appears to be buffer jitter/stuttering.

I can't say these latency issues are as severe as many others on these forums or elsewhere, they are in fact probably quite minor, but it's hard to justify the price for 550/35Mbit and know that there's just something wrong with it.

Good luck to all of you VM users, I will keep checking in and hoping maybe one day VM will fix their network smile

I must be pretty unique:-I moved to virgin from idnet,no probs at all with idnet but my tv package from sky was going up too much making combined price very expensive,went with one of top packages from VM with was much cheaper with discount for new user and gave more on the tv side(far more)we have the virgin fttp service here and the speed and reliabilty has been 1st class,over 380mb on their 350mb service and pings of around 8ms
Standard User Stanman_24
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Jan-21 12:55:06
Print Post

[re: steve195527] [link to this post]

didn’t think IDNet price match ?

KRO BCFC smile
Standard User Saltank
(committed) Fri 22-Jan-21 13:35:19
Print Post

[re: Stanman_24] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Stanman_24:

That VM BQM looks sort of similar to mine, and I too have had instances of slow loading pages or other random issues.

Very fortunate that you can get FTTP with ZEN, hope it works out.

I just have FTTC (maximum 75/20Mbps) or VM coax.
  Print Thread

Jump to