User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mcompton69
(regular) Mon 15-Feb-21 12:41:03
Print Post

Packet Loss and High Pings

[link to this post]

Hi, same problem that so many people report.... Confirmed via multiple ethernet connected devices on network including SamKnows box.

1) What is the best way to get this fixed (what's the best method to get through first line/gate keepers in order to speak to someone with knowledge and power to resolve)?

2) Those who have experienced this, was it every fully resolved? If so, how?

3) Does anyone know the root cause?

VM VIVID200

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User srkain
(newbie) Mon 22-Feb-21 09:43:03
Print Post

Re: Packet Loss and High Pings

[re: mcompton69] [link to this post]

Hi,

Set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) and let it run for a few days.
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

I had Virgin a few months ago and was suffering the effects of oversubscription. My BQM graphs would go crazy high from 8 am to 10 pm and return to normal from 2 am to 8 am.
This was a sign my area was not handling well the number of subscribers during working hours.

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do. Virgin might give you an expected fix date, but in my experience, they will just set up a new date when the original deadline expires.
From what I have read on Virgin's customer forums, there is not much incentive for Virgin to fix oversubscription problems at the moment, as it is costly to do so and they are probably waiting for the lockdown to be over and usage levels returning to normal.

I've decided to change providers and moved to a "slower" FTTC connection. Although I am now getting 69 down / 14 up (compared to the 200/20 from Virgin), my pings are steady low all day and no signs of packet loss.

Edited by srkain (Mon 22-Feb-21 09:46:42)

Standard User Glenn2
(newbie) Mon 22-Feb-21 15:50:51
Print Post

[re: srkain] [link to this post]

Exactly mirrors my experience. 9am to 6pm weekdays it was awful, and at various times up until midnight. Fine after that. Virgin acknowledged the 'fault' and would give a false fix date of 2 weeks' time, and then just issue another date every time that came around. As said, they don't actually intend to fix anything.

Once I realised this I fled to Zen. I've gone from 110/10 to 43/10 (it's a rubbish line) but everything feels so much quicker. It's the latency that you feel, not the speed (as long as the speed is high enough).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User srkain
(newbie) Mon 01-Mar-21 10:12:58
Print Post

[re: Glenn2] [link to this post]

Completely agree. Everything feels much quicker here as well.

Even though I had massive speeds compared to what I am now, pages would take some time to load, people could not hear me properly in Zoom/Team meetings and it was impossible to play an online match as the lag was unbearable.

The only time I feel any difference is downloading a full game or a big update, when download speeds are the main difference.

But I tend to leave the console on rest mode and it does all of them during the night, which works for me.

I rather have better latency than better speeds. And as you said, as long as the speed is high enough.
  Print Thread

Jump to