User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User athegn
(committed) Mon 01-Mar-21 17:02:13
Print Post

BQM solid red

[link to this post]

I have 100 plan. Normally I get this and after some work by Virgin in January it has been a very reliable connection, however at 11:00AM yesterday something happened. I did not notice it but my BQM meter shows solid red from then on. Speeds tests, over the last few hours, shows 50 to 60 downloads with 10 uploads; normally 100 with 10 uploads. Just done another speed test and back up to 100/10. BQM still showing solid red. IP address has not changed; East London based.

Any ideas please?
Standard User Davfox
(newbie) Mon 01-Mar-21 17:07:29
Print Post

Re: BQM solid red

[re: athegn] [link to this post]

If Googling "my ip address" shows same IP address as the one you have configured in your BQM, then maybe your equipment isn't responding to ICMP packets because of config change. I think the Virgin Hubs always respond, are you using your own router?
Standard User athegn
(committed) Mon 01-Mar-21 17:49:09
Print Post

[re: Davfox] [link to this post]

I did Google my IP address, that's how I knew it had not changed. Virgin Hub 3 used. Just checked again speed test still100/10; BQM still red.

Speed test run on tablet; a fair downstream run from Hub 3. Hub3 then over 15M Cat 5 to Neatgear switch then another 12M Cat 5 to Netgear WAP then 5G wifi to tablet.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Mar-21 18:37:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by athegn:
I did Google my IP address, that's how I knew it had not changed. Virgin Hub 3 used.
That is odd. I have a Hub 3 and made the BQM work with it. There are Hub 3 users on the VM community forums whom have BQM working.

If you have any port forwarding set up, this might affect it, if the device (e.g. game console) is turned off.

If you don't have any port forwarding, then perhaps power off and back on the Hub (pull out the power cable!) and see if that helps.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User athegn
(committed) Mon 01-Mar-21 19:24:50
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

BQM now showing normal. Seems that around 18:00 it decided to change from red? I did nothing. Will keep a eye on it.
Standard User athegn
(committed) Mon 01-Mar-21 19:43:40
Print Post

Yesterday

My Broadband Ping

Today

My Broadband Ping
Standard User gary333
(experienced) Tue 02-Mar-21 20:29:53
Print Post

The hub 3 is known to just randomly stop listening to the BQM pings.

Mine does it every so often, however a previous hub 3 would spend half of its life ignoring, this red.
  Print Thread

Jump to