User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User barker04
(member) Mon 08-Mar-21 20:40:10
Print Post

M100 real world speed

[link to this post]

Hi

Looking to sign up for this but wondered what folks are getting real world speed wise please?
Standard User j0hn83
(knowledge is power) Tue 09-Mar-21 16:20:22
Print Post

Re: M100 real world speed

[re: barker04] [link to this post]

110Mb/s 24 hours a day.

It's very much area dependant though.
Standard User Grumpy20
(newbie) Tue 09-Mar-21 17:43:08
Print Post

I can't comment on M100, but my daughter is on M400 and when the supply is working, she gets around 370 with about 45 upstream. Having said that, I've been doing battle with VM since the new year to try to get the supply sorted out. She has almost constant packet drops at about 8-10% which renders video conference completely useless at times.
She also has what can best be described as an issue with the line staying up reliably. I won't say anything about the wifi from the hub3 [it's been documented enough] but I will say her hub3 does NOT keep accurate logs at all, which is making life very troublesome. I don't know if that's a common problem though.

Her area is Aldershot.
from her experience, I'd rather buy a piece of string and two tin cans, but other people seem reasonably happy with VM
I'd check out your local facebook or whatsapps groups before joining.
Good luck

Grumpy, but not by nature

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Mar-21 19:13:10
Print Post

[re: Grumpy20] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Grumpy20:
Her area is Aldershot.

Sounds as if there is a physical plant problem on her connection. I'm on M200 just up the road from Aldershot, and I had an issue last year with constant disconnections. Raised it on the Community forums with the logs from the Hub 3 and two visits from technicians, the second realised there was a problem in the cabinet in the street, and spent a good hour out there.

The phone support is not good, but the forum support can be, but they are very busy. Post and wait for them to respond. (Preferably from the connection, so they can trace you).

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Mar-21 19:14:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by barker04:
Looking to sign up for this but wondered what folks are getting real world speed wise please?

M200, and I have between 190 and 220 Mbps pretty much all the time, with 18 to 20 Mbps upload. I have a test device which does regular speed tests (its not a samknows box).

Standard User John_Gray
(member) Tue 09-Mar-21 19:22:10
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

For a very long time I got 112Mbps/10Mbps 24 hours a day, too. But a few weeks ago the down-speed varied wildly, going down on occasion to about half the usual figure. Recently the down-speed has changed back to 112Mbps, but the up-speed has reduced somewhat, to 9.8Mbps.

All these numbers from the data collection by SamKnows' WhiteBox monitoring router.

As suggested, your kilometreage may vary.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Mar-21 19:24:16
Print Post

[re: John_Gray] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by John_Gray:
As suggested, your kilometreage may vary.

Sounds as if you have some very very usage on your coax segment in your area. Perhaps more subscribers than were anticipated before the pandemic hit.

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Tue 09-Mar-21 21:56:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by barker04:
Hi

Depends on whats available to you at your address....

Virgin as mentioned varies from area to area and this isn't something that can be identified by postcodes or towns.

Another aspect that needs to be consider is how much upload speed you need or want and also other if latency is important to you.

For instance I recently switched a 350mb download and 36mb upload connection from Virgin Media to a BT 50mb download and 18mb upload service as the connection with Virgin wasn't very stable when uploading and latency was to jittery for some applications.

I can't say I noticed any issues losing 300mb of download speed to be honest, but helped with video conferencing and online gaming.

The best bit of advice I can give you is order it, get it connected and test it and if no good have it cancelled within the cooling off period.
Standard User Grumpy20
(newbie) Wed 10-Mar-21 11:28:37
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I've been in the forum since 5/1/21, now on my 4th or 5th handler, 2 engineer visits [1st one made some progress, 2nd said nothing wrong], month long speed monitoring [inconclusive], networkwork congestion 'sorted' twice so far, problem elevated twice, I've even been quite firmly told off for trying to contact my case handler after two weeks of NO response to 7 emails, during a nightmare supply period, and so it goes on. STILL having issues with the hub logging events, T3 timeouts a plenty [100's], T6 timeout, and a few other issues.
and still it's a daily review, downloading logs [such as they are] everyday before the evidence is removed everynight. Thankfully, I've put a decent WAP in the system so the wifi reaches out of the hub room.

some people seem to have good VM supply, some don't.
to refine the area a little, Ash Vale
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 10-Mar-21 12:27:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by Grumpy20:
I've been in the forum since 5/1/21, now on my 4th or 5th handler, 2 engineer visits [1st one made some progress, 2nd said nothing wrong], month long speed monitoring [inconclusive], networkwork congestion 'sorted' twice so far, problem elevated twice, I've even been quite firmly told off for trying to contact my case handler after two weeks of NO response to 7 emails, during a nightmare supply period, and so it goes on. STILL having issues with the hub logging events, T3 timeouts a plenty [100's], T6 timeout, and a few other issues.
and still it's a daily review, downloading logs [such as they are] everyday before the evidence is removed everynight.

"removed" is very odd, sounds as if your Hub is factory resetting. My Hub 3 has logs going back 6 months, even if I pull the power cable out and back in.

some people seem to have good VM supply, some don't. to refine the area a little, Ash Vale

I'm in North Camp. The problem here is the junction cabinet my cable arrives in had an open door for months (long before I signed up) and so everything inside has rusted up. This hardware is 30 years old, and the weather has got to it.

I've not heard of T6 timeout, the T3 timeouts are annoying and the T4 is a full disconnect. They are all a headache.

Standard User barker04
(member) Wed 10-Mar-21 18:58:23
Print Post

Thanks all for replies - shortly moving to area with only Virgin (FTTC being planned) so was hoping i might be able to get away with the 100/10 - but having just 10 upload is a bit too low so probably going M200. Thanks again!
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 10-Mar-21 19:25:53
Print Post

Good luck. I moved to VM from FTTC which had degraded from 60/9 in 2012 down to 40/3 and the upload seemed to be decreasing. So I went to M200 with its 20 upload which is useful now we are all home working!

Standard User Grumpy20
(newbie) Wed 10-Mar-21 20:22:23
Print Post

Good Luck Barker04, and may all your drop outs be little ones.

The best advice regarding VM I've seen lately is
'sign up, and get all your monitoring (BQM, speed, logs etc) set up on day one, BUT keep an eye open for the exit within 30 days, just in case'

I'm sure you'll be happy, but what area are you out of interest ?

Gru
Standard User Grumpy20
(newbie) Wed 10-Mar-21 20:34:47
Print Post

Hi JC

As I have no wish to distract from the OP's thread, I don't want to post up lots of boring detail here, but I had the feeling that you were curious for a bit more info regarding the 'supply' that VM is providing for my daughter. If I'm right I can pm you with further info, but I'm just as happy not to, and either way, I will just keep fighting on the VM forum until she get what she's paying for anyway.

Gru
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 10-Mar-21 21:46:28
Print Post

Thanks for the invite, but I’m sorry I don’t have the time. Good luck in your fighting!

Standard User gary333
(experienced) Wed 17-Mar-21 20:32:07
Print Post

I get headline speed 24/7.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to