User comments on ISPs
  >> Virgin Media (Cable)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Mon 15-Mar-21 19:41:31
Print Post

Bigger Front Box?.

[link to this post]

My sister has just had the first part of her installation done and I’ve noticed the box on the front of her house isn’t the usual small box that virgin media normally use, it’s like a big square brown box quite ugly if truth is told, is this something new there using now, virgin is new to the area so not sure if it’s a new box there trialing now but when I used to have virgin years ago in my old area it was a smaller better looking box on the front of the house, why the change?.
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Tue 16-Mar-21 22:52:22
Print Post

Re: Bigger Front Box?.

[re: tomxlisa] [link to this post]

Anyone explain this?. Thanks.
Standard User Realalemadrid
(committed) Tue 16-Mar-21 23:05:26
Print Post

I don't know much about Virgin but I would guess this is a new installation using a fibre connection or technically RFOG (radio frequency over glass) Try searching for RFOG termination box and you will find it is a big square brown box with a fibre to co-axial converter inside.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Tue 16-Mar-21 23:18:59
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

Yeah I did do a little search and found the box that is on my sisters house, how come there not the smaller boxes anymore then, is this a new type of network or something that virgin has started to roll out which is why the boxes are bigger?.
(committed) Wed 17-Mar-21 08:20:15
Print Post

Yes it's a new fibre optic connection to the house that Virgin are doing in some areas where they are expanding the network. Then they convert the fibre signal back to the old co-axial cable connection in the termination box so the existing Virgin router can be used. The old cable system didn't need the converter, just a cable coming in through the wall.
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Wed 17-Mar-21 15:11:51
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

How is it better than the old network then, what are the improvements a customer will see, I’m guessing the small box they used to use has been totally abandoned now then as well?.
Standard User danielhyde
(member) Wed 17-Mar-21 15:30:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by tomxlisa:
How is it better than the old network then, what are the improvements a customer will see, I’m guessing the small box they used to use has been totally abandoned now then as well?.

I have the larger brown box on my house and I still have the old non fibre connection.
They probably use the larger box on non fibre and fibre installs to save time/money

Thanks Dan
Standard User gary333
(experienced) Wed 17-Mar-21 20:36:02
Print Post

When you say larger box, do you have a picture of what you think a standard box is?

This is what the standard box for coax looks like and has done for year
https://dash.coolsmartphone.com/wp-content/uploads/2...

This is the larger FTTP box.
https://richardglover.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/...

If you mean the older slimline grey boxes, then they have not installed them for at least a decade.
(committed) Thu 18-Mar-21 09:07:43
Print Post

I don't know the technical details but the Virgin FTTP network is supposed to have greater capacity so less congestion giving improved latency which can be a big problem on the old coaxial system in some areas
Standard User tomxlisa
(committed) Thu 18-Mar-21 16:09:10
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

Yeah I mean the first ones to be fair the town I live in now has only just started getting cable it’s still only in a small area and my sister happens to be in that area so this is the first time for year since I’ve seen them install equipment, I had cable 20 years or so ago and only remember the smaller box which you showed I the first link which I prefer to be honest, don’t you think the bigger box looks a bit ugly to be on the front of the house that was definitely my first impression of it anyways, but I guess equipment changes.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to