User comments on ISPs
  >> Vodafone

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 18-Aug-16 19:34:09
Print Post

Thinking of switching

[link to this post]

The Vodaphone fibre price is very attractive (£28 no line rental charge). The only real problem is : Is technical support any good ?

Now with plusnet
Twitter
Vote Leave!
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 18-Aug-16 22:54:47
Print Post

Re: Thinking of switching

[re: MrTAToad2] [link to this post]

If their support is as good with their broadband as it is with their mobile network, then no, it is not good.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 19-Aug-16 10:33:33
Print Post

They seem pretty good, with UK based phone support and staff are reasonably clued up based on my pre-sales questions to their technical level 2 support. They are now giving out usernames & passwords so that you can use your own router provided you make it clear that you take full reponsibility for using your own equipment. I may take out a second FTTC line on their Business offering soon, mainly to get a static IP address and SLA where faults are fixed within 1 working day.

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-monthly-products-...

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business 80/20
Powered by Asus RT-AC5300
My Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Aug-16 17:01:56
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Talk Talk pre-sales are good, but once they have you their customer service is dismal, so you can not go by that.
Vodafone customer service is almost as bad as Talk Talk, well their mobile phone customer service is anyway and I can not see their broadband Cs being any better. while I do not have many problems with my phone service, I will never ring them now, I go to the shop, at least they know what they are on about.

As for vodafone giving out username and passwords, it is still hit and miss by all accounts.

Saying all of that I did look at moving to Vodafone from plusnet, but the savings would be lost on the connection fee.l

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Fri 19-Aug-16 17:39:45
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Charges look like a problem
18-month agreement. Subject to credit check, acceptance & availability in your area. Vodafone Broadband app & compatible Android/iOS device required to use full functionality. No line rental charges available on new and upgrading fibre broadband products only. £18 a month line rental applies to Vodafone Unlimited Standard 17 Broadband. Payment by direct debit required. Connection charges may apply: New line provision £60 and/or fibre activation £49. Router delivery charge £6.99. Other upfront set-up costs may apply. Existing customer discount will be removed if you're no longer a Vodafone mobile customer.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 19-Aug-16 18:26:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
Vodafone customer service is almost as bad as Talk Talk, well their mobile phone customer service is anyway and I can not see their broadband Cs being any better.

I think you're confusing VF's mobile support with their broadband support team. They are totally separate divisions and they have nothing to do with one another. Anyway i didn't speak to their sales team, i managed to speak to someone in their technical support team and they were pretty good. Most, if not all ISPs will give you the middle finger if you (as a non-customer) wish to directly speak with their technical team, but VF were happy for me to speak to their level 2 technical support.

Also I understand Vodafone have multiple 10gb/s bandwidth 'pipes' at exchanges they've LLU'd compared to 1gb/s pipes which the likes of Sky and TalkTalk have so exchange congestion is virtually unheard of on Vodafone VDSL2/ADSL2+, that's assuming VF have their equipment in your exchange.

TalkTalk Business 80/20
Powered by Asus RT-AC5300
My Broadband Quality Monitor
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 19-Aug-16 19:11:44
Print Post

Given the low number of customers on Vodafone Home Broadband I would hope the network can more than cope.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Aug-16 19:23:58
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

You generally find money is sucked out of your pocket when switching with fibre anyway. In the scheme of things, an extra £56 over a saving of £200 for 18 months is a small price to pay.

Now with plusnet
Twitter
Vote Leave!
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Aug-16 06:58:40
Print Post

vodafone uses the old Bulldog network, which became Cable and Wireless, I used it on ADSL when I was with ADSL24, it was ok. Not sure what it is like now Vodafone have got hold of it.

Vodafone broadband and mobile phone CS may be separate at the moment, but how long will that last for? They will want to save money and will combine them, it will come.

The only reason I stay with vodafone for my phone is because they have the best network here, well it is when they do not move things around. I am almost out of contract with vodafone, so we will see what they have to offer mobile phone wise and may have a look at their broadband.

Plusnet was pretty good good when I phoned them before I ordered, told me all I needed to know.

As for coping, vodafone should cope, they have a very small customer user base at the moment, saying that I do not know what other providers still use their network.

Three things put me off.

Using their router, yes I know some people say they will give you the info, but it is hit and miss.
The connection fee, really over the top.
!8 month contract, too long and certainly with that high connection fee.

I have looked at Sky as well, but I will no doubt wait for a while and see what Plusnet do when the new rules come out.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 20-Aug-16 09:42:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
As for coping, vodafone should cope, they have a very small customer user base at the moment, saying that I do not know what other providers still use their network.

It is often said that the Zen "own network" PoPs mostly or entirely use backhaul rented from Cable and Wireless. I have no idea whether this is true. It is likely that wholesale customer services use dedicated capacity, separate from the Vodafone retail service.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Aug-16 13:21:15
Print Post

The one-off connection charge isn't really a problem, being a one-off.

My my calculations Vodafone would cost £28 x 18 + £49 + £6.99 = £559.99
Plus.Net = (£18 + £17) x 18 = £630 (assuming the worst case discount - will need to give them a call to see if anything better can be done).

So there could be a saving of around £70

The main problem (well, the only problem) with Plus.Net is the continual line rental increases

Now with plusnet
Twitter
Vote Leave!

Edited by MrTAToad2 (Sat 20-Aug-16 13:23:54)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 21-Aug-16 10:01:29
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
It is often said that the Zen "own network" PoPs mostly or entirely use backhaul rented from Cable and Wireless. I have no idea whether this is true. It is likely that wholesale customer services use dedicated capacity, separate from the Vodafone retail service.

i think that could be right, according to Sam knows, Zen is available here and I doubt Zen would put their own equipment in our Exchange and I can not see them using Sky or Talk Talk, so the only one left is the old C&W network.

I am certainly going to have a look around this week, since I am off work for a week, so i have got a bit more time.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 21-Aug-16 10:07:04
Print Post

While Vodafone may have £0 line rental it does not mean price increases are not possible, just probably not on the line rental element.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 21-Aug-16 10:18:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrTAToad2:
The one-off connection charge isn't really a problem, being a one-off.

My my calculations Vodafone would cost £28 x 18 + £49 + £6.99 = £559.99
Plus.Net = (£18 + £17) x 18 = £630 (assuming the worst case discount - will need to give them a call to see if anything better can be done).

So there could be a saving of around £70

The main problem (well, the only problem) with Plus.Net is the continual line rental increases

I just worked out over 12 months, going to Vodafone would save me £6 a month or £72 over the year. So not too bad. that is including the £1 more i have to pay to Plusnet from next month. I am also working on the 38Mb/s speed and that I am already with vodafone for my phone, so my bill get reduced again. it would be £3 a month more if I was not already a Vodafone customer, That then would almost know the savings out over the 12 months.
If I went over 18 months whihc I should have I suppose then I would save more.

You said about Plusnet putting line rental up, but there is nothing stopping vodafone from putting their prices up and after 18 months they could hike it up a fair bit, so it would be possible to change networks again, but I am not sure if I can be bothered to do that and the risk that something could go wrong and I have no internet.

My problem with Vodafone is their customer service stinks and just because their broadband customer service is separate at the moment do not mean it will stay that way, not enough people with them to have any decent reviews, using your own router is hit and miss.

the other problem is would they want me to re-enter into a contract mobile phone wise as I am almost out of contract and what would happen if I decided i did not want to use their mobile network if they did not force me to re-enter into another phone contract?
Also, I am not sure if I really want to enter into another long contract.

So many things i need to look at.
I do want to cut down on things and sty and save money, but not if it locks me in and offers a worse service than I am getting now.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Marky76
(newbie) Sun 21-Aug-16 12:00:28
Print Post

Just avoid them. I used to work for Vodafone CS years ago. They don't directly employ staff at call centres. It is contracted out and you are trained in the art off bull [censored] to get the customers off the phone. Not good
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 21-Aug-16 14:44:48
Print Post

Can you not negotiate a better deal with PN?
Standard User bob12345
(regular) Sun 21-Aug-16 14:55:45
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

the problem with PN , there seem to have no structure to their offers, all pot luck what you get offered.

i am in market A on 80/20

rang on a Tuesday after getting price increase , was offered above @ 15 a month ( line rental on top) , 2 year contract

rang next day, told them the same, thinking of leaving got offered it @ 7.50 a month 2 yr contact ,which i agreed

i was one of the lucky ones offer wise

Edited by bob12345 (Sun 21-Aug-16 14:56:26)

Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 21-Aug-16 16:10:09
Print Post

[re: bob12345] [link to this post]

I got offered £15 as well...

Now with plusnet
Twitter
Working on Assembloids #Go!
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 21-Aug-16 16:11:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Oh yes - its quite possible. Assuming any price increases are reasonable, there should be a but of savings still...

Now with plusnet
Twitter
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 21-Aug-16 16:23:56
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Can you not negotiate a better deal with PN?

Not sure if I want to stay with Plusnet to be honest, they been a bit hit and miss over the last couple of months or so.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 21-Aug-16 16:31:11
Print Post

It looks like I wont be switching to Vodafone - the online checker is now deciding that either I cant get fibre internet or a new line needs to be installed (at £109)...

Now with plusnet
Twitter
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 21-Aug-16 16:32:47
Print Post

And now its decided that I can get it smile And without having to pay £49 too!

I've gone with Vodafone now. They do require a lot of personal information - for me it was a list of 3 years residential addresses for some reason...

All in all, I've got it quite cheap...

Now with plusnet
Twitter

Edited by MrTAToad2 (Sun 21-Aug-16 16:59:22)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 21-Aug-16 18:02:19
Print Post

how did you get out of paying the connection fee? i went through the motions to just before before the checkout and they was still going to charge the connection fee and I am already a customer of theirs.

Let us all know how it went when it gets connected.

According to them I should get 48Mb/s, I did get 36Mb/s when I first came onto Plusnet, but I am lucky if I get 25 these days and the ping is awful sometimes.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-Aug-16 13:48:16
Print Post

I'm actually checking to make sure the order has gone through - as I said the website kept churning out weird results (phone number not matching, cant do the order without a new line etc). I'm just lucky it gave the "correct" order prices smile

Online support is pretty good at the moment.

The order does seem to be causing them a bit of a problem smile

They are also very fond of emotes

They've put in a ticket for the order to be put through (marked as critical). Hopefully it will get activated by the date on the order (7th September).

Now with plusnet
Twitter

Edited by MrTAToad2 (Mon 22-Aug-16 13:58:41)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to