User comments on ISPs
  >> Vodafone

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 13-Sep-16 12:29:27
Print Post

All up and running

[link to this post]

All up and running now!

Currently speeds are somewhat slower than with PlusNet - the average is around 50Mbps rather than high 60's, so I may have to have a word with them. However, I will see if I can get the router details from them and try my current one.

I'm not too worried at the loss at the moment, especially as the latency has been reduced a fair bit, and besides, it may all need to settle down.

YouTube seems to start playing much quicker than with PlusNet - the latter used to buffer for a second or two and then play, whilst this started straight away. No buffering needed

The Vodafone router is rather nice. You get the option to dim/deactivate the power lights. There are also two Wifi systems, which is nice. The odd thing is they cant assigned different channels.

Now with plusnet
Twitter
Working on Assembloids #Go!
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Tue 13-Sep-16 23:25:54
Print Post

Re: All up and running

[re: MrTAToad2] [link to this post]

The pricing is very attractive so I hope it works well. At one number I was looking at the lower FTTC speed and ADSL cost the same for a vodafone mobile customer.

Michael Chare
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-Sep-16 10:20:09
Print Post

Early days, it could settle down, or it may not, but then would that extra speed make a lot of difference to you?
Do Vodafone use traffic management like Plusnet and do they turn filters on as default?
If latency is better then webpages and maybe even youtube will be more responsive,

Not sure if I like the vodafone router or not, it looks ok, but like a lot of routers these days have got nothing on it to show you what it is doing, just a light to say it is connected.
Just like the new router from plusnet.
There is very little info about the Vodafone router, how many Ethernet connections are on the back? The majority of my devices are Ethernet, well they was until I got my chrome casts, now it is about half.

What do you mean by two wif-fi systems? I know it have a guest feature and I expect it is dual band, saying that I have had to separate the dual bands in some routers and even switch off the 5Ghz feature.

If i go with vodafone for broadband depends on a few things, one of them is if they can get their act together with their mobile phone signal here, because at the moment is it awful

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-Sep-16 13:59:28
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

There are 4 Ethernet connectors at the back.

The two wi-fi systems is a main and guest wifi setup.

The extra speed would be nice to have, but not essential smile

Now with plusnet
Twitter
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-Sep-16 18:52:33
Print Post

cheers for that, four is better than the three i have on the plusnet router, I do have a network switch as well which helps.

Is the router dual band, it should be in this day and age, and can you separate the bands or turn one off if needed? I doubt you have got into that.
My router is 2.5Ghz and to be honest it have not been a problem, I have known people have more problems with the newer 5Ghz band to be honest./

i will wait for a few weeks and see how it goes with you, saying that trying to contact Vodafone online is almost impossible. If they do not sort things out they will be losing a couple of customers on their mobile network and losing the chance of getting a broadband customer.

their phone signal around here have gone to pot, even EE is better and i thought that would be impossible.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Sep-16 13:41:39
Print Post

The two wi-fi systems can have different frequencies - sort of, they cant be totally seperated

contact Vodafone online is almost impossible

Yes, everyone seems to be busy!

Now with plusnet
Twitter
Standard User ady702
(newbie) Fri 16-Sep-16 22:28:41
Print Post

Hmm do you do any big downloads? any throttling?

Am thinking about moving from Vivaciti
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Sep-16 17:35:10
Print Post

[re: ady702] [link to this post]

Haven't seen anything like that. Do a lot of game playing with Battlefield, and that has been fine.

I do have a lot of FEC upstream errors (currently 24,148) - whether it was also the case with PlusNet, I dont know, but it is something I would like to get sorted smile

Now with plusnet
Twitter
Standard User ady702
(newbie) Sat 17-Sep-16 18:02:24
Print Post

Thanks, only thing putting me off is the long 18 month contract but compared to Plusnets "throttling" seems ok from what I have read so I'm not sure where to go.

Only those two at the moment who do fibre-only without changing phone companies. Although there is Zen but much more expensive with 12 months.

May give it afew months to see how Vodafone are coming along, seem too new at the moment.

Edited by ady702 (Sat 17-Sep-16 18:09:38)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Sep-16 21:54:08
Print Post

You still need to change your phone service to go with vodafone, it is not fibre only.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User ady702
(newbie) Sat 17-Sep-16 22:03:20
Print Post

Doh, I think I got confused with Zen!
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-Sep-16 08:24:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by ady702:
Doh, I think I got confused with Zen!

What may confuse some people is Vodafone advertising of no line rental, but there is line rental it is just buried in one charge.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-Sep-16 13:11:15
Print Post

Decided to ring Vodafone to see if anything could be done with regards to the FEC errors, and I must say the customer service is very efficient. Whilst they are supposed to be phoning (or emailing) back with regards to that latter, the actual connection to customer service was great - they provide a ring-back service, so, unlike PlusNet, you dont have to keep waiting on the phone.

Now with plusnet
Twitter
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Tue 20-Sep-16 22:10:08
Print Post

Plusnet support these days is very slow, and could be a good reason to avoid them.
You might want to change your signature!

If you ever manage to get your connection details from Vodafone so that you can use another router, do let us know.

Michael Chare
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 21-Sep-16 13:45:23
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Yes, must change my signature smile

The speed has decreased substantially now - down to 25Mbps, so will need to phone them back to see what is going on...

Now with plusnet
Twitter
Standard User philippercival
(knowledge is power) Wed 21-Sep-16 16:23:33
Print Post

I cancelled my switch as mentioned in another thread. They did sent the router though, and while it was here I had a quick look at the back and removed a little sticky black cover which exposed a fifth port, marked WAN. Not entirely sure of the purpose, but it might be worth experimenting, with the router and your old modem.

Edited by philippercival (Wed 21-Sep-16 16:24:07)

Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 22-Sep-16 12:37:36
Print Post

[re: philippercival] [link to this post]

Its working okay - I do think it could be faster without the errors (especially as it started happening after OpenWorld started doing something), which is why I would like Vodafone to get them to have a look!

Now with plusnet
Twitter

Edited by MrTAToad2 (Thu 22-Sep-16 12:41:05)

Standard User 23Prince
(regular) Thu 22-Sep-16 13:26:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrTAToad2:
Its working okay - I do think it could be faster without the errors (especially as it started happening after OpenWorld started doing something), which is why I would like Vodafone to get them to have a look!

Are they something new? Openreach was the last people do do the engineering tongue
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 22-Sep-16 14:43:55
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

They were up the telephone pole last week, and it'll all started getting worse after that... I think it is new, as PlusNet had faster speeds

Now with plusnet
Twitter

Edited by MrTAToad2 (Thu 22-Sep-16 15:27:44)

Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Sep-16 13:09:40
Print Post

It looks like the CRC errors are caused by the powerline being in a surge protected power socket. I had been wondering about that for a time - its possible the FEC errors are too. I wont be able to test that tomorrow (hopefully).

It has certainly made a difference to the speed tests though, which is good smile

I would like to get rid of the powerline system completely - whilst it is good, it does introduce extra lag. However, to so would require LAN cables around the skirting board and then into the hall (cutting off a piece of the door to accommodate the cable.

Now with plusnet
Twitter

Edited by MrTAToad2 (Mon 26-Sep-16 13:15:23)

Standard User 23Prince
(member) Mon 26-Sep-16 16:22:02
Print Post

Powerline adapters should never be used in any type of adapter. Best results are straight from a wall socket.

I found that out when I got some terrible cable speeds, it was my adapters that were the problem. On FTTC they were not as bad.
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Sep-16 16:59:46
Print Post

Ah, it turns out it isn't the powerline positioning - the CRC errors are back... I'll see if LAN connection is any better though.

At the moment :

Error counter
Indicator name Downstream Upstream
FEC Corrections 44 109659
CRC Error 3 16

Now with plusnet
Twitter

Edited by MrTAToad2 (Mon 26-Sep-16 17:02:00)

Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 27-Sep-16 12:31:37
Print Post

Waaaaaahhhhj

VDSL line down and wont re-connect frown. Been through 2 departments and a complete router reset, but to no avail. Vodafone said they would be contacting me again... in 24-48 hours frown

Customer support is good, just seems to be ineffectual at the moment

Now with plusnet
Twitter
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 27-Sep-16 12:50:36
Print Post

Re: Waaaaaahhhhj

Is that your router or theirs?
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 27-Sep-16 13:36:55
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Their's - can't use mine, as they won't give out passwords.

What is interesting is the the number of outbound FEC errors is still going up - probably due to trying to establish a connection

Now with plusnet
Twitter
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 27-Sep-16 13:45:08
Print Post

I heard they are giving out passwords now.

Another modem should still sync, just won't authenticate.
Standard User 23Prince
(member) Tue 27-Sep-16 15:20:25
Print Post

Sounds like I was right advising a relative to wait until all the bugs were ironed out.
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 27-Sep-16 21:16:10
Print Post

I tried a week or so ago, without success...

Now with plusnet
Twitter
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Sep-16 21:24:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by 23Prince:
Sounds like I was right advising a relative to wait until all the bugs were ironed out.

I think I will wait until next year now, only 3 months to go.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 30-Sep-16 12:23:42
Print Post

Its all up and running - the top speed as decreased to 60Mbps, but they have advised that I should give it a week or so to get everything a chance to get things sorted.

Despite the little problems, I do like the service

Now with plusnet
Twitter
Standard User 23Prince
(member) Fri 30-Sep-16 16:06:24
Print Post

Its all up and running - the top speed as decreased to 60Mbps, but they have advised that I should give it a week or so to get everything a chance to get things sorted.

Not enough to change your sig it seems tongue
Standard User 23Prince
(member) Fri 30-Sep-16 16:07:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
In reply to a post by 23Prince:

I think I will wait until next year now, only 3 months to go.

Good plan smile

October tomorrow! - Where has it gone?
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 30-Sep-16 22:22:31
Print Post

cheers, but I will still wait , see what compalints comes in when more people start using the service and as I said before, still not decided what I am doing mobile phone wise, my contract for that ends some times this month.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Oct-16 15:01:37
Print Post

Problem solved!

Currently looking into whether I can get a discount by paying for 17 months in one go...

Now with Vodafone
Twitter
Working on BallZ #GO!

Edited by MrTAToad2 (Sat 01-Oct-16 15:02:27)

Standard User Yves
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Oct-16 12:13:57
Print Post

What is the upload speed?
Standard User displaced80
(newbie) Thu 03-Nov-16 14:39:38
Print Post

[re: Yves] [link to this post]

Mine is ~9mbit - which is 1-2 slower than when I was Infinity.

My downstream has taken a hammering -- from 48-50mbit to 34. The VF router was hugely unstable on my line. I was lucky enough to get my PPPoE details, so have switched back to my Openreach Huawei modem. That shows an attainable sync rate of what I'd expect, but the VF router instability has caused my line to be banded down to 34mbit.

I'm calling VF tonight to get this looked into.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to