User comments on ISPs
  >> Vodafone

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User vegito
(newbie) Tue 04-Jun-19 17:23:19
Print Post

Re: Vodafone Ultrafast/Gigafast (Cityfibre 1Gb rollout)

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

So I have just moved into a flat and noticed (from Cityfibre's network image for Glasgow, and based on roadworks.org data) that they are running lots of fibre around 2 streets away from me, actually on one side its just past my street.

I have spoken with Vodafone live chat agents, who (to my surprise) reckon that my address in my postcode is currently marked down as "work in progress" for Gigafast and it should be available to order in 2/3 months time.

However I can see from roadworks.org that there are no plans to come down my street, just very close by it.

Are Vodafone right here? Is it possible I will be able to be connected even if I can't find any roadwork planned for my street specifically?

Seems too good to be true.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 04-Jun-19 17:46:18
Print Post

[re: vegito] [link to this post]

CityFibre generally build their metro network first, which will probably include the break outs for a further FTTP roll-out.

To come down your street they will either

a) Need to put in their own trench i.e. roadworks
or
b) Plan might be to use Openreach ducts and save on the amount of road works needed

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User vegito
(newbie) Tue 04-Jun-19 18:14:23
Print Post

Hmm, I dont think there are many FTTP properties nearby so not sure how much ducting there is (unless you mean alongside the copper).

So it's still possible then. I wonder where Vodafone get their info from.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User vegito
(newbie) Tue 04-Jun-19 18:27:31
Print Post

I want to believe it's happening so badly. I just don't know how accurate Vodafones info is and where its coming from.

That said, there is another long road in which I know 100% they are laying fibre down, but there is not lots of roadworks on it (just 1 roadwork notice where that road junctions with another) so maybe they are borrowing openreach ducting
Standard User epyon
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 04-Jun-19 18:33:50
Print Post

If they are just laying their initial metro network it would be more like 8-12 months till you can order as they still have to do your street.

At least this is what happen with me
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 05-Jun-19 12:04:34
Print Post

A duct is a duct, does not matter if fibre or copper in it

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User vegito
(newbie) Fri 07-Jun-19 15:22:10
Print Post

Would Cityfibre even share those plans, about which streets (off of their initial metro network) they would cable up? I have spoken to another couple of Vodafone agents and they seem very sure that it will be available.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 07-Jun-19 18:47:33
Print Post

Their check seems to give different behaviour for some areas, i.e. if it Gigafast checker redirects to just superfast then you are certainly not in the short term plans

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to