User comments on ISPs
  >> Vodafone

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Wed 09-Jan-19 14:15:15
Print Post

Re: Vodaphone possibly the worst broadband provider ever

[re: mbames] [link to this post]

Yeah, I've not been able to speak to their Tier 2 techs, and I never get call backs from the first line handlers, so not sure what else I can actually do to get a resolution.
Standard User mbames
(member) Wed 09-Jan-19 16:01:09
Print Post

[re: Bryer] [link to this post]

You can try the Care Team on 03333040191.... I think I spoke to them on a (quiet) Sunday afternoon.

Vodafone Fibre (Superfast2 - 80/20), Draytek 130, DrayTek 2925, DrayTek AP-910c x 2
(Gone but not forgotten: AP-700, 2820n x 2, 2800vg, 2800, HG612)

Speedtests:
ThinkBB - Mini | ThinkBB - Full | Speedtest.net
Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Wed 09-Jan-19 17:02:14
Print Post

The social media team got Tier 2 to call me this afternoon, engineer booked for Saturday AM.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mbames
(member) Wed 09-Jan-19 22:05:34
Print Post

so you've got a line fault rather than capacity issue?

Vodafone Fibre (Superfast2 - 80/20), Draytek 130, DrayTek 2925, DrayTek AP-910c x 2

Speedtests:
Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Wed 09-Jan-19 22:43:42
Print Post

No I have both.

Level 2 tech has detected errors that have led to the DLM getting stuck down below the minimum Openreach line speeds, so sending out the engineer to clear that.

He acknowledged capacity issues on the back haul, didn't give me anything as to when or if they would be fixed.

Social media team member stated they are aware of issues and are trying to source capacity from their providers.
Standard User mbames
(member) Thu 10-Jan-19 09:52:09
Print Post

When I spoken to VF before about capacity issues, they rate the backhauls as green, amber, red & black.

Black ones are the worst, and they address first, but can be up to 6 months to before they buy in additional capacity - probably due to project planning, and trying to save money (balance of happy customers vs spending more cash). I think they are very much on the back foot with this, so probably have more links going -> amber -> red -> black, rather than black -> green.

Speedtests:
Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Tue 15-Jan-19 11:39:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by mbames:
When I spoken to VF before about capacity issues, they rate the backhauls as green, amber, red & black.

Black ones are the worst, and they address first, but can be up to 6 months to before they buy in additional capacity - probably due to project planning, and trying to save money (balance of happy customers vs spending more cash). I think they are very much on the back foot with this, so probably have more links going -> amber -> red -> black, rather than black -> green.

Well to update you on the saga that is my line. Engineer came on Saturday, arrived at 0800, ran some tests in the property, noticed some CRC and FEC errors and some resistance on the line and low voltage.

Went to the cabinet, changed out the battery, came back to the premises and ran the tests again, error rate through the roof so then decides to start testing the line back to the cabinet. Found issues in both the underground chambers that my line passes through to get to the cabinet.

He managed to get the speed back to 68meg from 55meg, he's left the fault open for the field guys to come and lay a new cable for my house to the cabinet, which will be completed without a loss of service to myself (apparently).

He left just after 1300hrs and stated he was surprised the line was even able to hold a connection with the state it was in.

Vodafone have closed the fault even though the speeds at peak time nose dive to around 3-5meg, which leaves my wife unable to watch her shows on Netflix, iPlayer etc, so still leaving on the 23rd January 2019, and have advised Vodafone accordingly, while I've weighed up the cost of cancellation vs the happy wife scenario, I'm willing to take the hit if they charge me, even though they've said they won't.
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Tue 15-Jan-19 14:48:46
Print Post

So much of what you have been told there is untrue, or was picked up incorrectly.

In reply to a post by Bryer:
Went to the cabinet, changed out the battery, came back to the premises and ran the tests again, error rate through the roof so then decides to start testing the line back to the cabinet. Found issues in both the underground chambers that my line passes through to get to the cabinet.

There is no battery that can be changed.
The only battery at the FTTC cabinet is the batteries that power the FTTC when there is a power cut.

The engineer has no access to the FTTC cabinet. Changing these batteries wouldn't affect your line anyway.

No idea what the engineer meant by this.

In reply to a post by Bryer:
He managed to get the speed back to 68meg from 55meg, he's left the fault open for the field guys to come and lay a new cable for my house to the cabinet, which will be completed without a loss of service to myself (apparently).

Just wow... he said that? That's isn't going to happen, ever!!

Your line is just 1 pair within huge cable bundles, often 100 pair at parts.
How on Earth do they replace just your line? It isn't possible.

Your line also isn't 1 single length to the cabinet. It has MANY joints along the way, each sealed in a waterproof joint box.

They can't replace your line all the way to the cabinet without replacing/adding dozens of individual sections of multi pair cable and joining these at every single junction box along the way.

I've never ever heard of such a thing happening, and say with some confidence that it is not going to happen.

They may replace a single section of faulty cable between 2 short points, but only if there were no other spare pairs in that section.

Edited by j0hn83 (Tue 15-Jan-19 14:51:08)

Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Tue 15-Jan-19 18:01:43
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

I'm close to the cabinet and the run is about 200m.

Water ingress has left a lot of the spares ruined, thus 5 hours trying to resolve.

I can only go on what he told me and what tech2 said at Vodafone.
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Tue 15-Jan-19 18:25:20
Print Post

Even a 200m run has multiple joints.

The entire length being replaced to the cabinet isn't gong to happen.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to