User comments on ISPs
  >> Vodafone

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User copex
(committed) Fri 21-Sep-18 18:51:47
Print Post

Vodaphone possibly the worst broadband provider ever

[link to this post]

seriously if i could go back in time i would stop my self from switching. at the moment the throughput is terrible i m getting 30-50Mbsp ....

so if you are thinking of switching i wouldn't smile

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7655233130

Type: VDSL2
Hardware: Annex A
Firmware: 05-07-06-0D-01-07
Power Mngt Mode: DSL_G997_PMS_L0
Line State: SHOWTIME
Running Mode: 17A
Vendor ID: 00000000 00000000

Line Statistics

Downstream Upstream
Actual Rate 79997 Kbps 19999 Kbps
Attainable Rate 55939 Kbps 27458 Kbps
Path Mode Fast Fast
Interleave Depth 1 1
Actual PSD -3.-4 dB 15. 5 dB
Standard User mbames
(member) Fri 21-Sep-18 20:40:04
Print Post

Re: Vodaphone possibly the worst broadband provider ever

[re: copex] [link to this post]

Does it get better during the day / outside of "peak internet" window?

I had similar issues when I first switched, but after a while it improved. The backhaul from the exchange was oversubscribed, what I find interesting is that the single thread performance is poor, but it multi-thread downloads it performs as you might expect.

as a comparison here is speedtest's rather overgenerous results
https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/d/5cd105b7-32d6-...

A more realistic TBB result:
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15375586722...

FWIW: I'm using a vigor 130 and 2925 to connect through, rather than their router.

Vodafone Fibre (Superfast2 - 80/20), Draytek 130, DrayTek 2925, DrayTek AP-910c x 2
(Gone but not forgotten: AP-700, 2820n x 2, 2800vg, 2800, HG612)

Speedtests:
ThinkBB - Mini | ThinkBB - Full | Speedtest.net
Standard User j0el
(newbie) Fri 21-Sep-18 22:43:00
Print Post

Re: Vodaphone possibly the worst broadband provider ever *DELETED*

Post deleted by j0el

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User j0el
(newbie) Fri 21-Sep-18 22:43:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by copex:
Downstream Upstream
Actual Rate 79997 Kbps 19999 Kbps
Attainable Rate 55939 Kbps 27458 Kbps
Path Mode Fast Fast
Interleave Depth 1 1
Actual PSD -3.-4 dB 15. 5 dB

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think it is a capacity issue - something is really wrong with that attainable and SNR. Looks like the drop in throughput is due to errors caused by background interference. Could even be a fault.

What modem/router are you using?

Edited by j0el (Fri 21-Sep-18 22:46:14)

Standard User Discus
(experienced) Sat 22-Sep-18 17:58:00
Print Post

Got out during the 30 day guarantee. 48meg sync, throughput down to 6meg at times when testing with testmynet. Had a week of sub 20 meg speeds before it returned, but still got random drops.

http://www.marksfish.me.uk - Personal fishkeeping website
Standard User 1nfern0
(learned) Mon 24-Sep-18 20:12:06
Print Post

[re: Discus] [link to this post]

I concur. I migrated from BT 2 weeks ago and have experienced contention issues from day 1. From 4/5pm my speeds drop from an average 36mbit down to between 2-6mbit. Completely unusable in our household.
For a few pounds saved it's not even worth trying wait this out or hope for a resolution. I've already got my migration away underway.
Comically poor.
Standard User mbames
(member) Tue 25-Sep-18 18:26:18
Print Post

[re: 1nfern0] [link to this post]

Mine was like this - I think they flood an area with marketing material, and that massively over subscribes their infrastructure in that location.

Vodafone Fibre (Superfast2 - 80/20), Draytek 130, DrayTek 2925, DrayTek AP-910c x 2

Speedtests:
Standard User rbz5416
(newbie) Wed 26-Sep-18 08:42:46
Print Post

[re: Discus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Discus:
Got out during the 30 day guarantee.
Me too. Not just poor performance but a stream of lies & misinformation from "customer service" that make BT look competent...
Standard User 1nfern0
(learned) Wed 26-Sep-18 14:07:17
Print Post

[re: rbz5416] [link to this post]

Honestly,. I'm not sure how they can sell a product not fit for purpose. It can't be a coincidence there is so much contention.
Fortunately I'm within my 30days and got out immediately but still have to wait 2 weeks to migrate. In the mean time it's easy to see the change in performance whilst I work from home. 37mbit speed tests steadily declining to 2-3mbit over the afternoon and evening. Not fit for purpose.
I did laugh when the CS rep felt at pains to make a point I won't get the free gift.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 27-Sep-18 11:24:40
Print Post

Interesting they use sync speed not throughput as a measure of performance for their Speed Guarantee

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/broadband/guaranteed-speed
Standard User mbames
(member) Sat 29-Sep-18 19:14:04
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Oh yes, a good con.... and should you have a rubbish line, you have to use their router as the app seems to gather line stats from it in order to claim your monthly rebate.

Speedtests:
Standard User vit0
(member) Mon 15-Oct-18 17:17:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by 1nfern0:
I concur. I migrated from BT 2 weeks ago and have experienced contention issues from day 1. From 4/5pm my speeds drop from an average 36mbit down to between 2-6mbit. Completely unusable in our household.
For a few pounds saved it's not even worth trying wait this out or hope for a resolution. I've already got my migration away underway.
Comically poor.

I've also got the same problem, I moved from Sky to Voda, tempted by the cheaper subscription and free gift (Sonos). Annoyingly it was full speed throughout the "cooling off period" but now I'm locked in it's 3-6Mbps from 5pm until 12am.

Anyone know the best route / way to get this fixed or get out of my contract?

Lee
Standard User mbames
(member) Mon 15-Oct-18 18:13:41
Print Post

[re: vit0] [link to this post]

What speed is the line syncing at? If the sync remains good then you are stuck in the short term. vf do upgrade capacity on backhauls which are running hot, but it is a slow process.

I complained, and was eventually offered the opportunity to leave, along with setup fees to another ISP being covered.

Speedtests:
Standard User vit0
(member) Tue 16-Oct-18 23:39:58
Print Post

[re: mbames] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mbames:
What speed is the line syncing at? If the sync remains good then you are stuck in the short term. vf do upgrade capacity on backhauls which are running hot, but it is a slow process.

I complained, and was eventually offered the opportunity to leave, along with setup fees to another ISP being covered.

It's synced at the full 40/10 profile, I think it can do about 60-70Mbps attainable.
I'm in the process of complaining, hopefully it'll hurry them along or let me out of my contract.

Just out of interest does anyone know if Vodafone use their own (C&W) backhaul network for their home grade stuff?

Lee
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 17-Oct-18 09:24:12
Print Post

[re: vit0] [link to this post]

Using their own backhaul network is one of the key elements behind the low pricing

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mbames
(member) Wed 17-Oct-18 21:51:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

and tonight it seems like the backhaul is really suffering...

vodafone 80/20 @ 17-Oct-2018

Speedtests:
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 17-Oct-18 22:23:58
Print Post

Just now https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15398112347...

So not everyone but do have the advantage of a relatively small handover exchange with multiple LLU providers

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User adrenalize_
(newbie) Wed 17-Oct-18 22:45:29
Print Post

Mine went like that back around the spring of this year, took them 2-3 months to upgrade the backhaul, then it was full speed all day every day, but has just started to drop off again at peak. Not so bad this evening:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15398114155...

I would assume they start to limit each stream when at capacity, but obvioulsy until the limited stream speed is below your max divided by the number of streams - then all looks good - like a lot of other speed testers only show!
Standard User mbames
(member) Sat 27-Oct-18 22:59:45
Print Post

[re: adrenalize_] [link to this post]

Great during the day but pretty rubbish at night....

22:55 27/10/2018

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/_assets/speedtest/but...

Speedtests:
Standard User copex
(committed) Tue 06-Nov-18 18:57:08
Print Post

im seriously considering buying my self out of my contract

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7778416082
Standard User copex
(committed) Fri 07-Dec-18 19:52:00
Print Post

its going to be a long year http://www.speedtest.net/result/7862010559
Standard User copex
(committed) Sun 06-Jan-19 14:35:22
Print Post

Just an update the service has got worse not better, Vodafone just seem to have rose coloured glasses on and say there is no issue, despite there own forums getting more and more complaints.

im still locked in to a contract until December 2019, im not going to pay them for a service so i can cancel it, so i am going to install an addition broadband and leave Vodafone as a backup maybe route the guest WIFI over it.
(newbie) Sun 06-Jan-19 22:37:09
Print Post

Yes it is very frustrating - I've not even bothered to call tech support as they'll likely go down the scripted route of use the test socket, reboot the router etc etc. My line is very stable from monitoring DSL stats and BQM etc. and don't really want to disturb it.

Their network has gone a bit odd this time - when I had congestion previously it was peak only and generally slowed everything down. After a couple of months they upgraded something and overnight I got fast speed 24/7.

This time it is a bit different - different services, routes etc seem to be affected and affected services seem to be like it 24hrs a day. Speed tests are fairly consistent 24/day but single thread tests poor on some checkers. Downloads can be odd too, downloading the Windows 10 ISO the other day was exceptionally poor a few hundred Kbps, yet seconds later Windows update was pulling nearly the theoretical max for the line (~62Mbps). TBB download files vary (you've got to watch which browser you use as to whether its single or multi thread).

One thing to note on the Ookla speedtest at the moment the Vodafone Newbury server is unbelievably pathetic 24/7 (In another thread I think someone was told by customer services not to use it!!), yet other servers are much better, here are a couple of tests a few mins ago:

All single thread tests, Voda Newbury:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7936048311

Yet several other servers give like this:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/7936045218

For a while the TBB test gives me poor single thread 24/7 which always quickly falls in speed:
My Broadband Speed Test

Youtube and BBC iPlayer seem relatively unaffected and can easily watch 4K.

I appreciate there are different routes traffic will take in the core network and different ones can be congested etc but this doesn't seem quite right.

Do I have a distant memory of there being a clause in the T&C about if they cannot provide satisfactory performance you should be able to end contract - although providing the evidence etc will be a pain, starting with the "sync" guarantee, fine if you have issues with sync, but then they should be sending an openreach engineer round!!
Standard User mking90031
(learned) Mon 07-Jan-19 00:01:31
Print Post

Hi,

Are you aware that IF Vodafone aren't providing you with the service that they are contracted to then you CAN leave WITHOUT any penalties at all (AFAIK)....

HTH,

Mark King MCP
www.mark-king-basingstoke.co.uk
Virginmedia 330Mb/sec Down & 20Mb/sec Up
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Mon 07-Jan-19 15:40:53
Print Post

[re: mking90031] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mking90031:
Hi,

Are you aware that IF Vodafone aren't providing you with the service that they are contracted to then you CAN leave WITHOUT any penalties at all (AFAIK)....

HTH,

That doesn't help when Vodafone refuse to acknowledge a problem though does it.
If it was that easy the OP would have jumped ship rather than considering buying out their contract.

Vodafone make it very difficult to get out of the contract, often insisting on multiple engineer visits, using their router and them sending a replacement router.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Jan-19 20:46:30
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Also be interested in seeing where in the contract it states the expected peak time performance levels

(newbie) Mon 07-Jan-19 22:58:12
Print Post

The recent broadband T&C are here:
Voda Broadband Aug 2018 onwards

Section 4 has some terms regarding speed:

"4.2. Broadband Speed. Broadband speeds referred to in your Service Confirmation Letter are minimum and maximum download and upload speeds. Speeds may vary significantly by location and are dependent on all equipment meeting minimum specifications, being fully functional and working at full speed. Other factors can also impact internet speeds. Should your sync speed continuously or regularly fall significantly below the minimum guaranteed speed set out in your Service Confirmation Letter, please contact us. If we’re unable to resolve the issue you may select an alternative lower speed product (if one is available to you) or terminate your agreement. Your sync speed is the data speed of the line from the street cabinet or telephone exchange to your router. Please see speeds and your rights as a consumer"

The hyperlinked PDF describes sync speed throughput and the average (Although IMHO the emphaisis on throughput issues are customer premises based and only a brief mention of the upstream network) The "mimimum guaranteed speed" referred to I would read as the sync speed, although they shoud (in my opinion) having defined the sync throughput use this terminology in their T&Cs to be clearer.

Their traffic managemnt policy is referenced here:
"4.4. Traffic Management Policy. See information about any traffic management we may apply."

Unfortunately their link to traffic management doesn't work!! (404 error).

7.3(d) mentions "If the service is materially degraded for an unreasonable period of time or if we don’t do something fundamental that we should have done under this Agreement you may be able to leave the Agreement early without paying a termination fee."

which is probably the early exit I recall reading.

So the peak speeds don't seem to be referenced directly, with most terms referrig to sync speeds not throughput or ambiguous.
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Tue 08-Jan-19 13:32:07
Print Post

Like most consumer ISP's. Nothing unusual about t&pc's like that with most referring to sync speed.

If you want minimum guaranteed throughput at peak times then it's going to cost considerably more than Vodafone charge.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 08-Jan-19 18:25:07
Print Post

Bingo

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-Jan-19 19:15:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
Like most consumer ISP's. Nothing unusual about t&pc's like that with most referring to sync speed.

If you want minimum guaranteed throughput at peak times then it's going to cost considerably more than Vodafone charge.
True, but at the moment customers can't really tell what they are buying before the purchase.

If I switch electricity suppliers the quality of the supplied product, i.e volts and amps, would remain the same.

Michael Chare
Standard User davehugh
(newbie) Tue 08-Jan-19 19:56:02
Print Post

Not sure anyone is really asking for guaranteed throughput at peak times, but speeds dropping to sub 5mb make the service unusable for many applications and not fit for purpose. Doesn’t seem to be an issue with the other current Providers.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 08-Jan-19 20:00:53
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

The level of monitoring and transparency in how the data is compiled would be very costly to tell people with a high degree of confidence whether a line in their exchange/cabinet is likely to experience congestion with a specific service.

Plus the amount of testing needed would actually make the situation worse

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-Jan-19 20:52:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The level of monitoring and transparency in how the data is compiled would be very costly to tell people with a high degree of confidence whether a line in their exchange/cabinet is likely to experience congestion with a specific service.

Plus the amount of testing needed would actually make the situation worse
That would be for third party monitoring. I would expect the ISPs to know the loadings on their own back haul links. Maybe they could be compelled to advise customers of the situation before they place an order, just as they now get told what DSL performance they can expect.

Michael Chare
Standard User copex
(committed) Tue 08-Jan-19 21:38:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by mking90031:
Hi,

HTH,

That doesn't help when Vodafone refuse to acknowledge a problem though does it.
If it was that easy the OP would have jumped ship rather than considering buying out their contract.

Vodafone make it very difficult to get out of the contract, often insisting on multiple engineer visits, using their router and them sending a replacement router.

for me there excuses is there is no speed guarantee as i use my own router even though i was told i was able to do so. (there router is supper special and makes the internet faster)

i also had a so called tek support telling me it was down to the high number of devices connected to the LAN and when i explained the statement was incorrect and asking how many people where connected to the network she was using the call was disconnected.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 08-Jan-19 22:51:30
Print Post

Never hurts to drop the CEO an email with subject CEO Complaint: Vodafone Broadband

[email protected]

Often gets you through to a specialist complaints team in organisations, and they actually listen *unless it is TalkTalk*.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Tue 08-Jan-19 22:52:11)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Jan-19 04:56:54
Print Post

Speed guarantee relies on their app reading the sync speed from the router..hence why if you use your own kit they cannot play ball.

Standard User mbames
(member) Wed 09-Jan-19 11:32:59
Print Post

This is exactly what I am seeing, and it is me who said that VF had said not to use their Newbury server (ps. the one in Ireland is even worse!). I've even seen the same with MS downloads / windows updates too.

I have another tech2 ticket open with them at the movement after I phoned them up last weekend. They are making me jump through the same hoops again - router, master socket, etc (we've tried 3 routers now).

Upload speeds are rarely affected, but download is constantly slow throughout the day, unlike previously when it was the "peak window" (which is understandable and possibly backhaul related). This seems to be more in the VF network itself (or the old C&W network)

Not sure who is responsible for VF routing, but someone from VF told me it was Openreach (which seems unlikely)...

if there is a routing issue our Technical Team would need to discuss this further with our partners at Openreach to see what the possibility is of the routing being altered

C:\Users\matth>tracert bbc.co.uk

Tracing route to bbc.co.uk [151.101.192.81]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.100.254
2 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.1.1
3 29 ms 6 ms 7 ms host-212-158-250-33.dslgb.com [212.158.250.33]
4 9 ms 8 ms 8 ms 63.130.127.221
5 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms ae15-xcr1.slo.cw.net [195.2.2.217]
6 163 ms 164 ms 163 ms ae5-xcr1.lsh.cw.net [195.2.24.70]
7 164 ms 164 ms 164 ms ae20-xcr1.ptl.cw.net [195.2.25.29]
8 26 ms 26 ms 26 ms ae5-xcr1.mar.cw.net [195.2.30.214]
9 163 ms 164 ms 163 ms ae33-xcr1.sng.cw.net [195.2.2.58]
10 238 ms 238 ms 164 ms 103.244.50.186
11 163 ms 163 ms 163 ms 151.101.192.81

Trace complete.

-------------------------------------

C:\Users\matth>tracert news.bbc.co.uk

Tracing route to newswww.bbc.net.uk [212.58.244.57]

3 6 ms 7 ms 6 ms host-212-158-250-33.dslgb.com [212.158.250.33]
4 10 ms 11 ms 10 ms 63.130.105.130
5 12 ms 12 ms 11 ms bbc-linx.pr01.thdow.bbc.co.uk [195.66.224.103]
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 10 ms 10 ms 20 ms ae0.er01.telhc.bbc.co.uk [132.185.254.109]
9 14 ms 12 ms 12 ms 132.185.255.148
10 11 ms 17 ms 11 ms bbc-vip102.telhc.bbc.co.uk [212.58.244.57]

Trace complete.

C:\Users\matth>tracert thinkbroadband.com

Tracing route to thinkbroadband.com [80.249.99.72]

2 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
3 12 ms 10 ms 12 ms host-212-158-250-33.dslgb.com [212.158.250.33]
4 10 ms 10 ms 10 ms 63.130.105.130
5 12 ms 11 ms 11 ms linx-gw1.thn.ncuk.net [195.66.224.240]
6 11 ms 11 ms 12 ms te2-1-9.star10g.bdr-rt3.thdo.ncuk.net [80.249.97.17]
7 13 ms 13 ms 14 ms po4-31.core-rs2.thdo.ncuk.net [80.249.97.85]
8 11 ms 11 ms 11 ms ip99-72.thdo.ncuk.net [80.249.99.72]

Trace complete.

C:\Users\matth>tracert forums.thinkbroadband.com

Tracing route to forums.thinkbroadband.com [80.249.99.126]

3 7 ms 6 ms 6 ms host-212-158-250-33.dslgb.com [212.158.250.33]
4 10 ms 10 ms 10 ms 63.130.105.130
5 12 ms 15 ms 12 ms linx-gw1.thn.ncuk.net [195.66.224.240]
6 12 ms 11 ms 11 ms te2-1-9.star10g.bdr-rt3.thdo.ncuk.net [80.249.97.17]
7 13 ms 12 ms 13 ms po4-31.core-rs2.thdo.ncuk.net [80.249.97.85]
8 11 ms 11 ms 11 ms forums.thinkbroadband.com [80.249.99.126]

Trace complete.

C:\Users\matth>tracert www.dorsetecho.co.uk

Tracing route to m6-mh-https-all.newsquestdigital.co.uk [93.174.10.103]

3 14 ms 20 ms 6 ms host-212-158-250-33.dslgb.com [212.158.250.33]
4 9 ms 10 ms 8 ms 63.130.127.221
5 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms ae15-xcr1.slo.cw.net [195.2.2.217]
6 10 ms 10 ms 10 ms ae5-xcr1.lsh.cw.net [195.2.24.70]
7 10 ms 10 ms 10 ms ae36-xcr1.lns.cw.net [195.2.25.170]
8 12 ms 10 ms 10 ms as174-gw-xcr1.lns.cw.net [195.2.19.122]

9 10 ms 10 ms 10 ms be5.asr01.thn.as20860.net [149.6.184.50]
10 10 ms 10 ms 10 ms te2-9.core2.thn.as20860.net [62.233.117.214]
11 11 ms 11 ms 13 ms be97.asr01.thn.as20860.net [62.128.222.205]
12 11 ms 10 ms 11 ms po112.net1.north.dc5.as20860.net [185.91.76.106]
13 12 ms * * 1717.g1.1ug.dc5.as20860.net [87.117.210.26]
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * ^C
C:\Users\matth>

Speedtests:

Edited by mbames (Wed 09-Jan-19 11:44:36)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Jan-19 12:20:57
Print Post

Some numbers to show that those having problems are not alone - will be in news later in Jan

Single is 49% slower during the day and 59% slower between 6pm and midnight in December, this means the slow downs even when looking at median figures are heading towards streaming having issues, should be OK for HD at present for the majority, but seems to be heading towards a point where it will be bad

Virgin Media who used to be the worst is 37% only a 1% difference between day and night

BT so similar technology i.e. ADSL2+ and FTTC the difference is 10% in both periods. Remember this is the same code and same server and while crowd sourced the scale of the issue does point to problems with Vodafone

Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Wed 09-Jan-19 13:52:28
Print Post

I've decided that enough is enough, submitted a request to another ISP to take over the line and will deal with the issues with cancellation fees when they come asking for them.

I've documented all interactions with them and I've now had this fault since the 1st November and no further towards a resolution than I was 2 months ago.

I'm not sure if they've moved the Tech Support team from Eastern Europe to somewhere in the Middle East, but this seems to be where the lack of knowledge is, as the Eastern European call centre seemed to have some idea of the product they were supporting.
Standard User mbames
(member) Wed 09-Jan-19 13:57:14
Print Post

[re: Bryer] [link to this post]

I've not been able to speak to tech2, instead I phone some 0330 number and they put me on hold while they speak to tech2.

Thankfully the person I last spoke to seemed to be quite on the ball, so I can only hope they might actually investigate the issue. Guess time will tell. I suspect my problems started late last year.

Speedtests:
Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Wed 09-Jan-19 14:15:15
Print Post

Yeah, I've not been able to speak to their Tier 2 techs, and I never get call backs from the first line handlers, so not sure what else I can actually do to get a resolution.
Standard User mbames
(member) Wed 09-Jan-19 16:01:09
Print Post

You can try the Care Team on 03333040191.... I think I spoke to them on a (quiet) Sunday afternoon.

Speedtests:
Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Wed 09-Jan-19 17:02:14
Print Post

The social media team got Tier 2 to call me this afternoon, engineer booked for Saturday AM.
Standard User mbames
(member) Wed 09-Jan-19 22:05:34
Print Post

so you've got a line fault rather than capacity issue?

Speedtests:
Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Wed 09-Jan-19 22:43:42
Print Post

No I have both.

Level 2 tech has detected errors that have led to the DLM getting stuck down below the minimum Openreach line speeds, so sending out the engineer to clear that.

He acknowledged capacity issues on the back haul, didn't give me anything as to when or if they would be fixed.

Social media team member stated they are aware of issues and are trying to source capacity from their providers.
Standard User mbames
(member) Thu 10-Jan-19 09:52:09
Print Post

When I spoken to VF before about capacity issues, they rate the backhauls as green, amber, red & black.

Black ones are the worst, and they address first, but can be up to 6 months to before they buy in additional capacity - probably due to project planning, and trying to save money (balance of happy customers vs spending more cash). I think they are very much on the back foot with this, so probably have more links going -> amber -> red -> black, rather than black -> green.

Speedtests:
Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Tue 15-Jan-19 11:39:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by mbames:
When I spoken to VF before about capacity issues, they rate the backhauls as green, amber, red & black.

Black ones are the worst, and they address first, but can be up to 6 months to before they buy in additional capacity - probably due to project planning, and trying to save money (balance of happy customers vs spending more cash). I think they are very much on the back foot with this, so probably have more links going -> amber -> red -> black, rather than black -> green.

Well to update you on the saga that is my line. Engineer came on Saturday, arrived at 0800, ran some tests in the property, noticed some CRC and FEC errors and some resistance on the line and low voltage.

Went to the cabinet, changed out the battery, came back to the premises and ran the tests again, error rate through the roof so then decides to start testing the line back to the cabinet. Found issues in both the underground chambers that my line passes through to get to the cabinet.

He managed to get the speed back to 68meg from 55meg, he's left the fault open for the field guys to come and lay a new cable for my house to the cabinet, which will be completed without a loss of service to myself (apparently).

He left just after 1300hrs and stated he was surprised the line was even able to hold a connection with the state it was in.

Vodafone have closed the fault even though the speeds at peak time nose dive to around 3-5meg, which leaves my wife unable to watch her shows on Netflix, iPlayer etc, so still leaving on the 23rd January 2019, and have advised Vodafone accordingly, while I've weighed up the cost of cancellation vs the happy wife scenario, I'm willing to take the hit if they charge me, even though they've said they won't.
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Tue 15-Jan-19 14:48:46
Print Post

So much of what you have been told there is untrue, or was picked up incorrectly.

In reply to a post by Bryer:
Went to the cabinet, changed out the battery, came back to the premises and ran the tests again, error rate through the roof so then decides to start testing the line back to the cabinet. Found issues in both the underground chambers that my line passes through to get to the cabinet.

There is no battery that can be changed.
The only battery at the FTTC cabinet is the batteries that power the FTTC when there is a power cut.

The engineer has no access to the FTTC cabinet. Changing these batteries wouldn't affect your line anyway.

No idea what the engineer meant by this.

He managed to get the speed back to 68meg from 55meg, he's left the fault open for the field guys to come and lay a new cable for my house to the cabinet, which will be completed without a loss of service to myself (apparently).

Just wow... he said that? That's isn't going to happen, ever!!

Your line is just 1 pair within huge cable bundles, often 100 pair at parts.
How on Earth do they replace just your line? It isn't possible.

Your line also isn't 1 single length to the cabinet. It has MANY joints along the way, each sealed in a waterproof joint box.

They can't replace your line all the way to the cabinet without replacing/adding dozens of individual sections of multi pair cable and joining these at every single junction box along the way.

I've never ever heard of such a thing happening, and say with some confidence that it is not going to happen.

They may replace a single section of faulty cable between 2 short points, but only if there were no other spare pairs in that section.

Edited by j0hn83 (Tue 15-Jan-19 14:51:08)

Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Tue 15-Jan-19 18:01:43
Print Post

I'm close to the cabinet and the run is about 200m.

Water ingress has left a lot of the spares ruined, thus 5 hours trying to resolve.

I can only go on what he told me and what tech2 said at Vodafone.
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Tue 15-Jan-19 18:25:20
Print Post

Even a 200m run has multiple joints.

The entire length being replaced to the cabinet isn't gong to happen.
Standard User mbames
(member) Wed 16-Jan-19 10:20:19
Print Post

Curiously tech2 have booked an engineer for me as well - Friday morning.

Routing seems to have improved, but is still a bit questionable at time, download performance (multi) is limited to about 48Mbps, and single is just a couple of Mbps.

The chap I spoke to said "they will discuss various options if they can't fix it: ie. dropping me to 40/10 (which would be a shame as as the 20 up is handy for work), or allowing me to leave penalty free".

Leaving would be an option, but who to switch too. I came from Sky, and had no issues with them, but if I want to avoid all the connection changes it seems like BT/Plusnet/etc and bounce around those ISPs each time the introductory pricing expires, or stay and hope that Vodafone improve (which could be a gamble!).

C:\Users\matth>tracert www.reddit.com

Tracing route to reddit.map.fastly.net [151.101.1.140]

2 5 ms 5 ms 5 ms host-212-158-250-33.dslgb.com [212.158.250.33]
3 8 ms 7 ms 9 ms 63.130.127.221
4 8 ms 7 ms 8 ms ae15-xcr1.slo.cw.net [195.2.2.217]
5 9 ms 8 ms 9 ms ae21-xcr1.hex.cw.net [195.2.8.233]

6 * 8 ms 9 ms lag-10.ear1.London1.Level3.net [4.68.72.93]
7 9 ms 10 ms 9 ms ae-1-3112.edge6.London1.Level3.net [4.69.141.246]
8 38 ms 9 ms 10 ms FASTLY-INC.edge6.London1.Level3.net [212.113.9.202]
9 9 ms 10 ms 9 ms 151.101.1.140

Trace complete.

C:\Users\matth>tracert bbc.co.uk

Tracing route to bbc.co.uk [151.101.0.81]

3 7 ms 8 ms 7 ms 63.130.127.221
4 45 ms 10 ms 8 ms ae15-xcr1.slo.cw.net [195.2.2.217]
5 59 ms 9 ms 9 ms ae21-xcr1.hex.cw.net [195.2.8.233]

6 9 ms 9 ms 8 ms lag-10.ear1.London1.Level3.net [4.68.72.93]
7 8 ms 9 ms 9 ms ae-2-3212.edge6.London1.Level3.net [4.69.141.250]
8 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms FASTLY-INC.edge6.London1.Level3.net [212.113.9.202]
9 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms 151.101.0.81

Trace complete.

Speedtests:
Standard User Malwaremike
(committed) Wed 16-Jan-19 15:04:40
Print Post

Must be frustrating! But if you have a line fault surely another ISP will still be dependent upon Openreach to fix it? You could end up stuck in the same situation with your new ISP.
Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Wed 16-Jan-19 15:11:54
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

Very true, however the Vodafone tech support team, appear on the surface to have next to no knowledge of the product and how it works.

The only way I've managed to get it escalated to Level 2, was to go through the Social Media team. Level 1 could find a fault.

Level 2 took 20 minutes to find it, book an engineer and resolved within 3 days. I had been waiting 8 weeks!
Standard User dect
(regular) Wed 16-Jan-19 16:38:19
Print Post

some resistance on the line and low voltage.
Went to the cabinet, changed out the battery
I suspect you misunderstood the engineer as the low battery is a line condition just like high resistance (aka HR) rather than a physical battery in the cabinet.
Standard User mbames
(member) Fri 18-Jan-19 09:36:50
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

An Openreach engineer popped around this morning. Lovely friendly gentleman.

He did a few tests and confirmed 80/20 sync and said the line was perfect (1.8km in total length) and about 150m to the cab. All speedtests were poor - my equipment, VF router, test socket/ different filter, etc.

Was going to do a port swap in the cab, but he phoned VF and they then said "We shouldn't have requested OR for a throughput issue. Stand down & we'll phone the customer in the next 48 working hours".

OR have confirmed there are no line issues between the house & cab, so it seems as if we knew it all along - the issue is with VF, and has been since November #clowns

Speedtests:
Standard User mbames
(member) Sat 19-Jan-19 11:49:17
Print Post

and the result....

VF (aka Clown Central) closed the ticket as "no fault found". They left me a VM saying the engineer reported no fault, therefore we are closing the ticket, even though he told them the performance was below spec.

I've now phoned 191 and they have said they will sent me another router.... :facepalm:

Speedtests:

Edited by mbames (Sat 19-Jan-19 12:57:29)

Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Sat 19-Jan-19 18:15:17
Print Post

Even a 200m run has multiple joints.

The entire length being replaced to the cabinet isn't gong to happen.

While I was at work today, the wife reported issues using the broadband. She stated that there was a Openreach van outside the house with some cable reels and the manhole cover to the chamber up. Further down the road was another Openreach crew, pulling cables of some sort through, the first crew then went the cabinet and pulled the cable through the final run.

Shortly after they had disappeared, the broadband came back up with speeds of 80/20. Which had been at 65/19.

Either I've had a new run of cable to replace the 1960's stuff, or it's a massive coincidence.
Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Sat 19-Jan-19 18:42:38
Print Post

Under the terms and conditions previously mentioned, 4.2 and 7.*, you've given them ample time to resolve, which they haven't been able to do. So you should be able to leave without penalty.

I would personally jump ship (I have and leave on the 23rd), they've not sent me any letters to notify me of the cancellation charges or that someone is attempting to take my line away from them, so again they seem to be incompetent at retaining customers as well.

I'm looking forward to getting away from them, paying a bit extra and getting UK based support from a dedicated business grade provider.
Standard User mbames
(member) Sat 19-Jan-19 18:59:08
Print Post

Who are you switching too - seems like most ISPs have customer support which is non UK based. I'm not overly interested in a phone package....

Speedtests:
Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Sat 19-Jan-19 19:05:20
Print Post

I've gone over to Ghost Gamer Broadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Jan-19 19:47:35
Print Post

I have BT, whenever I call I get UK support.
Live chat is foreign based.

Sky always seemed to be Irish, Scottish or English sounding.

Plusnet seems to be mainly UK based.

My experience has been the last few years I almost never get non UK support, on my mobile (EE) and internet sky / BT and energy provider EDF and bank Santander / AMEX.
Standard User mbames
(member) Tue 22-Jan-19 15:25:52
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Well the new router arrived, and in typical VF fashion it doesn't even connect to their network!!

Complains about an ACS failure, and that was even after I'd phoned them up and they "replaced the old router's serial number with the new router's serial number".

hahah. Shambolic!

Speedtests:

Edited by mbames (Tue 22-Jan-19 15:26:54)

Standard User Global_Inferno
(learned) Wed 30-Jan-19 10:29:56
Print Post

I too have been experiencing problems with Vodafone. Since mid-December I've spent over 10hrs on the phone to their tech support teams, I've written to their complaints team, I've been pretty vocal about their awful service on social media and where has it gotten me?.... Nowhere.

I ended up speaking to a guy called Robert at their L2 support, who basically told me that there was nothing they could do as all their systems were telling them that there was nothing wrong with their network and "some" speed tests showed full throughput. I explained that the vast majority of speed tests (particularly single-connection) didn't show anywhere near full throughput; especially Fast.com, but was told that basically "that's the internet for you". I asked why if that was the case, when I turned on a VPN did all my speed test results go through the roof? He wasn't sure. I told him to take a look at this forum to show that I wasn't the only one affected, he said he might.

I have however since resolved the issue entirely!! I switched provider today to IDNet and sure enough, all my speed tests are now running at full speed, including Fast.com.

So the answer is simple; don't use Vodafone as an ISP, they are awful.

Oh and FYI, even after all these issues and hours and hours on the phone to Vodafone, they still made me pay to get out of the contract.
Standard User mbames
(member) Wed 30-Jan-19 15:56:37
Print Post

[re: Global_Inferno] [link to this post]

I've just spoken to the Directors Office and they told me "we don't accept speedtest.net results from any servers, apart from 'BT Lanc Services', our own servers are broken, and we can't guarantee the speed or accuracy of any other speedtest.net servers".

Curiously a traceroute to ookla.btlancashire.co.uk shows the route hops into Janet almost immediately, thus bypassing their shonky network.

Mine went [censored] in November and they just keep trotting out the line "you are syncing above the min speed, there is nothing wrong".

If I want to leave before 1st Sept, then I have to pay my early termination charges....

My fast.com results are shockingly rubbish, around 1-2Mbps, which is significantly worse than other tests.

C:\Users\matth>tracert ookla.btlancashire.co.uk

Tracing route to ookla.btlancashire.co.uk [194.150.176.123]

3 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms 63.130.105.130
4 10 ms 10 ms 10 ms linx-gw1.ja.net [195.66.224.15]
5 10 ms 10 ms 10 ms ae23.londtt-sbr1.ja.net [146.97.35.169]
6 18 ms 17 ms 15 ms ae27.erdiss-sbr2.ja.net [146.97.33.14]
7 16 ms 13 ms 44 ms ae29.manckh-sbr2.ja.net [146.97.33.42]
8 13 ms 16 ms 13 ms ae25.manckh-ban1.ja.net [146.97.35.50]
9 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms lancs-council.manckh-ban1.ja.net [146.97.40.50]
10 * * * Request timed out.

Speedtests:
Standard User Binary_Digit
(regular) Tue 05-Feb-19 11:46:57
Print Post

Bypassing? Righto!
Standard User mbames
(committed) Tue 05-Feb-19 14:41:05
Print Post

[re: Binary_Digit] [link to this post]

Good move!

Speedtests:
Standard User Jnaro
(learned) Wed 06-Feb-19 23:09:42
Print Post

Use a VPN. You won't be affected by shaping.

I didn't even notice they had introduced any, and I've been on voda for years.

I just got 69/72 on speedtest.

with vpn off? 5.
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Thu 07-Feb-19 10:32:28
Print Post

[re: Jnaro] [link to this post]

It's not throttling or shaping. It's congestion.
A VPN won't help with that.

edit: They have very poor routing. VPN can help with that.

Edited by j0hn83 (Thu 07-Feb-19 10:34:22)

Standard User Waplord
(newbie) Thu 07-Feb-19 12:12:30
Print Post

I signed up to them at the start of January, luckily im within my 30 day period

Migrating to Plusnet next week, i just can't believe how congested the network is, when i rang to give Vodafone my notice they didn't make any attempt to pass me to technical support or retain me.
Standard User Jnaro
(learned) Sun 10-Feb-19 21:39:33
Print Post

It's not throttling or shaping. It's congestion.
A VPN won't help with that.

edit: They have very poor routing. VPN can help with that.

its not congested. its traffic management. my connection is fine with a VPN
and capped to 5mbit without. congestion doesn't do that.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 11-Feb-19 09:58:10
Print Post

[re: Jnaro] [link to this post]

It might...

The VPN might go via a different route which can change how things behave

So just because a VPN is working fine, does not mean there is not congestion.

NOTE: Traffic management is one of the way of managing congestion.
NOTE: Vodafone may be correct in saying no fault too, since they may have planned for the network being this busy, hence the low cost service

Standard User mbames
(committed) Mon 11-Feb-19 10:26:43
Print Post

That is the key..... finding a good VPN service which you can connect to without going over any of VFs congested network.

Curiously, for users on the 40/10 service cf users of the 80/20 service seem to see less issues although we are all connecting through the same gateways.

Sure that VF know their network is running hot, which is why they only accept speedtests from a server you connect to by barely touching their network (the BT Lancs one)

Speedtests:
(learned) Tue 12-Feb-19 13:46:39
Print Post

Hmmm, are they finally admitting they have an issue?

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-broadband-quer...
(learned) Tue 19-Feb-19 20:55:53
Print Post

For those that aren't watching the drama unfold over on the Vodafone Community Forum and are vaguely interested, the one member of staff, Phil Wilson, that is providing some useful insight has posted they think they have a fix, no timescale though:
https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/vodafoneuk/board/messag...

Edited by adrenalize_ (Tue 19-Feb-19 20:57:59)

Standard User mbames
(committed) Wed 20-Feb-19 19:47:41
Print Post

oooh, you know his surname.... does that mean he has been in direct contact with you?

Speedtests:
(learned) Wed 20-Feb-19 21:27:57
Print Post

Sadly not...... just on his profile:
https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/user/viewprofilepage...
No calls back at all from both the tech referral code thingy on the forum or my complaint form.
Guy at VF customer services when I called yesterday to get my termination charge did seem to recognise his name, sounds like he checked the forum at the start of his shifts.
A day left to go on a cashback and freebie deal with another ISP that just about covers my early termination fee and increased monthly cost......hmmm.
Standard User epyon
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 23-Feb-19 10:03:08
Print Post

1gbps available
but its vodafone

oh damn

they were a pain years ago also when had a contract phone with them

when it was finished they said i needed to put in writing so cancel it lmao what a POS

i finally got a hold of someone after the 3rd try and they canceled it via phonecall.
Standard User copex
(committed) Tue 26-Feb-19 20:50:43
Print Post

finally Vodafone released me from my contract.
(learned) Tue 26-Feb-19 22:50:36
Print Post

Well done. I released myself! Managed to find a competitor's deal with cashback and freebies that almost covers the early termination charge..... but I'm still chasing a reduction/removal through a complaint anyway.
Standard User mbames
(committed) Wed 27-Feb-19 10:26:17
Print Post

I've been released too, with a nice cash injection into my VF account which I can use to pay my mobile bill smile

Not actually switched providers, as I am sort of interested to see how long it takes them to fix. Things seem to be a bit better when traversing through VFs core, but curiously the BT Lancs speedtest server no longer returns fast speeds!

Speedtests:
Standard User copex
(committed) Wed 27-Feb-19 21:13:43
Print Post

thanks.... im glad you found away out.

i was released FOC, i installed another broadband and set the Vodafone as a backup, the way i was going was if i am paying for it i want access to it, though i really didt know how bad it was until the new service was installed

now if i can get a CUPID code out of them.. (according to vodafone they dont give them out)
Standard User copex
(committed) Wed 27-Feb-19 21:28:49
Print Post

well done...

it could take 18 month for the issue to be resolved, though this is what i was told in October.

i have been and retested some of the speed test servers i posted results from, for example BT lancs i just got 220 mbps so its not the test server, also the vodafone servers i can access all return speed above 100-200mbps

the best thing i did was move to a new provider.
Standard User mbames
(committed) Thu 28-Feb-19 12:10:16
Print Post

it could take 18 month for the issue to be resolved, though this is what i was told in October.

I wonder if the October issue was lack of local capacity, as they didn't admit to having a core fault until early February - not that they seem to have mad any headway in improving the service.

Speedtests:
Standard User copex
(committed) Wed 13-Mar-19 19:27:46
Print Post

Well im no longer a customer of Vodafone they finally released me from my contract today my phone line moved to a new provider...
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Mar-19 22:04:27
Print Post

now if i can get a CUPID code out of them.. (according to vodafone they dont give them out)

Bit of a late comment but they're fairly public anyway.

Depending on how your number was moved or hosted, it should be one of the following

007 Vodafone
013 Cable & Wireless Vodafone
026 Vodafone ex Energis
028 Vodafone Thus
066 Vodafone Misc
170 TalkTalk Vodafone aquired
225 Vodafone No descr

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm has similar data too.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
uno Speedtest
Standard User copex
(committed) Thu 14-Mar-19 21:02:57
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

it was 001 as the line was installed by openreach.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to