User comments on ISPs
  >> Vodafone

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User davehugh
(newbie) Fri 04-Jan-19 22:47:17
Print Post

Slow single thread speeds

[link to this post]

I am currently experiencing slow single thread download speeds of around 9mb with multi thread around the 37mb mark. Anyone know if this is normal for vodafone? I have been getting a significant amount of buffering when streaming video anyone know if this would be related?
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 04-Jan-19 23:32:02
Print Post

Re: Slow single thread speeds

[re: davehugh] [link to this post]

Unfortunately, it is not unusual for Vodafone customers to suffer from contention on the backhaul links. This could be the cause of the buffering when streaming video, especially if it occurs in the evening.

Michael Chare
Standard User davehugh
(newbie) Sat 05-Jan-19 17:32:28
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Guessing there is nothing I can do about this? Tried ringing Tech support but just getting fobbed off!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mbames
(member) Sat 05-Jan-19 17:38:13
Print Post

They seem to have some dodgy routing occurring, and very busy backhauls.... however they they seem to always want to blame wifi channels, or want to split SSIDs, etc rather than considering the issues are outside the customers houses.

Many of us sync at 80/20, but see performance on some as low as 1Mbps.

VF have even started saying their own speedtest.net server in Newbury isn't working properly, so that must indicate they know their network is suspect.

Vodafone Fibre (Superfast2 - 80/20), Draytek 130, DrayTek 2925, DrayTek AP-910c x 2
(Gone but not forgotten: AP-700, 2820n x 2, 2800vg, 2800, HG612)

Speedtests:
ThinkBB - Mini | ThinkBB - Full | Speedtest.net
Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Sat 05-Jan-19 20:05:27
Print Post

[re: mbames] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mbames:
They seem to have some dodgy routing occurring, and very busy backhauls.... however they they seem to always want to blame wifi channels, or want to split SSIDs, etc rather than considering the issues are outside the customers houses.

Many of us sync at 80/20, but see performance on some as low as 1Mbps.

VF have even started saying their own speedtest.net server in Newbury isn't working properly, so that must indicate they know their network is suspect.

Yeah again I'm seeing routing via New York, single threads dropping down low, glad they still haven't been able to fix my line and that if it's not fixed fully by Tuesday, I'll be submitting a contract cancellation request and the ability to leave free of charge.

Not that I think it's coincidence, but my first 30 days were flawless, then day 31 the line went to rat [censored]. Kind of seeing the same thing happen with others, so wondering if they are placing people in the first 30 days on a special link thats not congested etc.
Standard User davehugh
(newbie) Sat 05-Jan-19 20:14:36
Print Post

[re: Bryer] [link to this post]

Can I ask, do your speeds increase when using a vpn?
Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Sat 05-Jan-19 22:26:28
Print Post

I don't get buffering when using a VPN, but the speeds are still low.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 05-Jan-19 22:35:42
Print Post

[re: Bryer] [link to this post]

Through New York for what websites?

Vodafone connection here is routing how I would expect for UK sites

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to